Amp etiquette question: Is it appropriate to post gut shots of boutique amps?

LaXu

If a builder for whatever reason says they prefer I keep gut shots to myself then I would respect their wishes but otherwise if I haven’t signed a NDA as part of the purchase I will do what I please.

I like to see how amps are built. Would love to see a gut shot of the Gjika amps for example as they are at least somewhat unique on the market on top of being a bit mysterious, expensive etc.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
All the Carr stuff is readily available to see on Google images. I don’t think it phases them much.

If you really think you have the skills, time and money to replicate one of their amps from a gutshot , then go at it… and maybe send them your resume. I think the vast majority of people wouldn’t be able to do it.
Is it even possible? If you can't read the rating on all of the the caps, you're out of luck.

Is it even possible? If you can't read the rating on all of the the caps, you're out of luck.
I have no idea, I'm just a simpleton user. I love looking at the gutshots. My thought is that if anyone has the balls and skills to put together a Carr amp without assistance from Carr, then they should get in the amp building business.

TheOtherEric

Silver Supporting Member
If the builder doesn't want people to copy his mods, he can easily sand off the capacitors labels, and I know some do this. Could probably do resistors too. And if they REALLY want to deter copying, they can goop. Long way of saying that it's just assumed that gut shots will get out, and there's really nothing wrong with doing so. Of course, posting lots of close-ups for the sole purpose of copying is another story.

DrRaoulDuke

When i'm considering buying an amp I often look for gut shots. I don't care about component brands or values. The things I'm looking for are (for context I want a shot at repairing the thing myself if something goes wrong):
  • how are the pots mounted/wired?
  • how are the tube sockets mounted? If they are mounted on the PCB is it close to the PCB mount screws?
  • I'm not anti-PCB but if it's PCB is the board thin and flimsy?

Produktsumme

Funkensprühender Feuerregen
Platinum Supporting Member
A gut shot at the level of detail we do here at TGP or your average Reverb sales post does say only superficial things about the amp in question: its construction method, a rough indication about its construction quality, somewhat component choice, and tidiness. So yes absolutely it is OK. I am totally with @gulliver that it would be impossible to build the amp with just the gut shot. But everyone can get inspiration from the layout, sure. If the builder is not happy with that, they can always pull a Mesa (don't get me wrongI love Mesa amps and their sounds, never have failed me, but to hell Randall....did you have to layout it THAT way, plus put component numbers below the actual components on the PCB screens?)

ubikwidus

I couldn't care less if someone posts guts shots of boutique amps. If it was my amp then I'd do whatever I want with it. If the builder is so concerned about his IP (you know, the schematic he tweaked and then called his own original design) then he should goop them. Of course I'd never buy an amp with gooped guts, but that's just me.
l fully agree. I find gooping to also hinder the possibility of changing out components. The silliest thing I saw was a gooped pre-amp section on a K&M a while back ; most of the amp was repurposed fender parts...

twoheadedboy

You owe NOTHING to amp builders. They should thank their lucky stars you bought their amp to begin with.

MAnything you do with it after you bought t is 100% your prerogative.
I once had an amp builder get angry with me when he discovered that I was trying to sell an amp that I paid him full price to build for me. He wanted me to sell it back to him, so that he wouldn't have to compete with himself on the used market. I can understand that, but he hadn't mentioned it before, and there was no contract or other agreement in place about it. That experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and I never went back to that builder.

Last edited:

ubikwidus

Dumb question maybe, but what is the point of the interior amp pic anyway? Do you guys know a lot about the components, or is it more of a cool aesthetic thing? Do people post shots of pedal interiors?
Not a dumb question. A smart and observant person can reverse engineer a circuit from pictures of the guts, provided the images are of high enough resolution.

LaXu

Dumb question maybe, but what is the point of the interior amp pic anyway? Do you guys know a lot about the components, or is it more of a cool aesthetic thing? Do people post shots of pedal interiors?
People do post pics of the interiors of all kinds of gear. Most won’t be able to tell much more than "that has high quality parts" from a gut shot or marvel at the way it’s laid out. Somebody more familiar with amp building could go "aha, that’s a JCM800 looking preamp circuit with some mods" etc.

Gallery

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve done it with the intent of showing others how impressive the builders attention to detail was in construction with meticulous lead dress and layout. But… it does feel a bit like I’m violating someone’s privacy when I do.

I’ve seen threads where people share a gut shot to show how a builder assembled a rats mess inside as a PSA to other potential customers. I guess if you’re going to be sloppy you should be willing to own it.

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
If the builder doesn't want people to copy his mods, he can easily sand off the capacitors labels, and I know some do this. Could probably do resistors too. And if they REALLY want to deter copying, they can goop. Long way of saying that it's just assumed that gut shots will get out, and there's really nothing wrong with doing so. Of course, posting lots of close-ups for the sole purpose of copying is another story.

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
I think the whole premise is stupid. Most of the appliance operators don't know what they're looking at, and probably could care less anyway.

We're talking dinosaur tech mostly (with the exception of modern LSI modelling gear, but I don't believe we're discussing that anyway). Mostly nothing bleeding edge, or even cutting edge tech-wise.

Lastly, I paid for my gear, I own it.

I'll do as I damned well please with it.

Last edited:

Steely Dave

I once had an amp builder get angry with me when he discovered that I was trying to sell an amp that I paid him full price to build for me. He wanted me to sell it back to him, so that he wouldn't have to compete with himself on the used market. I can understand that, but he hadn't mentioned it before, and there was no contract or other agreement in place about it. That experience left a bad taste in my mouth, and I never went back to that builder.
Had the exact same thing happen. He wanted to buy it for a lot less than used and I said no. He got pissy about it. F him.

Trending Topics