Amp fans, what's your take?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Optimus Rhyme, May 7, 2015.

1. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

So I just de-soldered the leads to the fan on my Budda SD45 head (runs KT66s) because the fan was driving me nuts. It's completely reversable, but I was thinking about installing a simple switch in case I ever wanted to turn the fan on. But at this point I can't see the need, I have a bunch of amps that run way hotter than this amp and they don't have a fan built in. I also unplug the fan to my Mesa Mark III Head and it's quiet as a mouse. So what gives? Do you guys run the fan or not?

2. sleewell

sleewell Member

My take is if you can hear the fan you aren't turned up loud enough.

3. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

Even at loud band volumes it still drives me nuts. I'm less sensitive to cone cry than I am to the fan. Seriously.

4. somedude

somedude Member

I'm assuming by "loud band" you mean an acoustic trio?

I couldn't hear the fan in my Mark III over the sound of awesomeness eminating from the speaker.

5. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Maybe you just need a more "Boutique" fan. Something hand wound with 100% oxygen free copper windings. :rolleyes:

6. DeaconBlues

DeaconBlues Member

None of my amps have fans.

Except for me...I love them all.:love:

7. rummy

rummy Member

How is this possible?
    My Boogie Mark IV and SD30 both have a loud fan inside, but no way in hell I can hear them when I'm at gig or practice volume.

8. sleewell

sleewell Member

just for clarification, this is not how you should be micing your amp

[​IMG]

9. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

SO MUCH WIN HERE!

10. Optimus Rhyme

Optimus Rhyme Member

I don't find it bothers me so much while playing, it's the time in between songs that drives me nuts. It's like if you're playing in a bar with bad power and the PA is buzzing or your amp is buzzing....you don't notice it when you're playing but it's when you stop.

I didn't think this was going to turn into a joke thread....I was generally curious if you thought the fan was of any significant benefit to the tubes or the heat disapation on the chassis.

11. JB6464

JB6464 Member

:spit

12. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Let the children have their fun. It's what people do around here.

Anyway, as a serious response, I'd suggest you look into another fan that runs silently and install that one instead. There's a possibility that fan is becoming defective or has gunk in it that's creating extra noise. You can easily find dead-silent fans at computers stores, so I'd suggest installing one of those and getting the best of both worlds ; silence and safety for your amp.

13. bbaug14

bbaug14 Supporting Member

Agreed. Fans in amps are generally 12V and garbage. Go out and get a good one. Easy to fix. As for needing a fan, hard to say really. If it's a PCB based design with low rated components, it may actually be necessary. I doubt it, but it is feasible.

14. BacchusPlateau

BacchusPlateau Member

The amp in my Mark V has been running non stop for about 5 years. I turned it off once to hear the difference but I don't really mind the fan noise, its really quiet anyway. It doesn't even bother me at "baby sharing a wall with your music room" levels

15. The Funk

The Funk Member

The fan in my LSS is pretty quiet. I can hear it if I'm listening for it and not playing. And close to the amp.

I might turn it off if I was recording something clean and in 5 watt mode and very quiet. But otherwise I'd rather have it on because that amp runs its power tubes super hot and I'd rather they didn't die.

16. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

C'mon, relax a little, it's "The Gear Page" ;)

Back to your problem:
    I often install fans in unbearably hot amps (think Matchless or real VOX), I use standard 12V PC supply fans but run them out of rectified 6.3V (filaments) , I get some 8 to 9V DC which is a bonus: fan runs at much less speed, practically silent, and still moves air inside the amp, which is what we need.

There's a study somewhere that most of the cooling effect of a fan lies in the first 20 or 30% of its rotation speed, moving air even if slower is miles ahead of praying convection will take hot air away.

The benefit is not for the tubes themselves, you can cool the glass but not the plates, there's *vacuum* between them (that's what Thermos flasks do, by the way) but cools overall, which is *good* , specially for Electrolytics.