Amp for a Fender Bassvi Help

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by g335, Jan 28, 2008.

1. g335

g335 Member

Hello

I wanted to know what everyones opinions are for a good amp for the Fender Bassvi. I play mine more like a guitar and didn't want to play it through a bass amp. Does anyone know if I can play this through a guitar amp without blowing anything(speakers) or is any amp ok?

Help Please!!!:jo

2. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

so you are asking the bass players? :rolleyes:

didn't Peter Green play his through his same Marshall or whatever stack?

3. g335

g335 Member

I posted this question twice on the guitar side but no one answered at all.

I don't know about Peter Green. I want to use it through a guitar amp because I want to have that mid range sound to it. I dont like playing it through bass amps because it sounds too, don't laugh, bassy.

Help someone. I just want to know if this will be safe to play through a normal guitar amp without killing the amp or speakers.:messedup

4. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Get a copy of Fleetwod Mac live at the Boston Tea Party, the disc that has "The Green Manalishi" on it, perhaps the hardest, most rocking 6 string bass playing like a guitar you will hear....

back in those old days, Bassmans and Marshalls would often do dual duty.

look, and if these 7 string shredders, and detuners down to A use regular amps, why not you?

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

All I can think of is that I played a Bass VI through a 4X10 tweed bassman and that thing ROCKED. Figuring that the Bassman was originally for basses of course, but the guitarists found that groove with it, it seems custom made for a bass/guitar thing like the Bass VI.

6. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I wouldn't use an open back combo and I wouldn't use a low wattage amp if it were me...but any Fender head or Marshall head...whatever would be fine and any decent 1x12 or 2x12 cab should handle it just fine...a Dual Showman and a matching 2x15 would be killer but thats a lot of rig to find, afford and move!

FWIW, the guys over the years that have really used a Bass VI...Peter Green, Joe Perry, etc used whatever guitar amp they were playing through at that time...be it Oranges, Fenders, Music Mans, Marshalls...whatever...

7. g335

g335 Member

Ok

I will look for a 1x12 closeback combo or head and cabinet. I have a AC15cc, would this be too low wattage to play through?

Thanks
    :dude

8. Antero

Antero Member

I played mine at a couple shows through a Silvertone 1484 head (25-30 watts) and a 1x12 Weber ceramic blue dog. No blown speakers, no problems. Not enough low-string thrust - a closed cab would have been better for that - but it still sounded huge and I was able to cover a huge amount of space.

You'd probably want more than 15 watts if you want the lows to speak properly, but try it out.

9. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

IMO, yes but it would do fine at low levels...you could do it for a while but I don't think it gonna push enough lows to keep you happy for long with a Bass VI...i'll tell ya what...look around for an old Ampeg V4 or B25, an old 50 watt Sunn head or even a Sound City 50+ or 120...any of those would be great Baritone/Bass VI amps...add a stout 1x12 or a 2x12 cab and you've got a killer small Bass VI rig that can do double duty as a guitar amp as well...