Amp for acoustic/electric

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tomo, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Tomo

Tomo Member

Could you recommend any good amps for acoustic guitar/ Ukulele?

Thank you for your time.

Tomo

2. Tomo

Tomo Member

Thank you so much for that info.
    Actually I already saw that amp in Japanese
    guitar magazine.

Too many knobs?

I will look into more.

Thanks,

Tomo

3. fatang

fatang Member

+1 on the AG Stomp, but you'll have to find one used as Yamaha replaced it with the Acoustic Magic Stomp. The Bronzewood and Power Stations are both nice solutions.

One of the Yamahas into a powered PA cab is a good option, I'm also a big fan of the Trace TA and AER as mentioned in the tread. The Fender SFX is cool for a more processed sound, and the SWR gear is nice for a multi-PU gtr. Not a big fan of the Rolands but year ago had a Crate rack mount pre that was really cool.

Robert

4. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster Member

I thought SWR California Blondes were pretty much the standard for this? I have one, works like a charm. Great amp.

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I have owned more than a few acoustic amps; for my country gig that I play acoustic guitar on I plug direct into a powered JBL EON G2 and it does a better job, IMHO, than any acoustic amp I have ever tried.

Just my opinion, but one I stand by with over few years of shows.

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Scott - not trying to stir things up here, but I wonder if there's something that 'goes together' in your approach?

I mean... if you've been using the JBL for a long time (from before you got the Variax, and with conventional piezo guitars), it's perhaps not surprising that you like the Variax better.

IMO, most piezo systems sound better - though not necessarily 'more like a real acoustic' - through dedicated acoustic amplification than direct through a flat-response full-range PA (which is basically what the Eon is); if you're going direct you usually need some sort of preamp to color the tone and add a bit of deliberate non-linear complexity, as well as EQ.

Equally, the Variax sounded to me as if it was designed specifically to go through just that kind of flat-response system. I didn't like it even then, but I have to say it sounded a lot better than through an acoustic amp, which it sounded awful with IMO. I tried a couple, including the AER, and it sounded as if there was too much 'double processing', if you know what I mean - the Variax sounds like it is intended to be the complete sound by itself, and amplified in as hi-fi a manner as possible.

Acoustic amps aren't necessarily at all hi-fi, even though they have wider frequency range than an electric amp... certainly the Trace TA100, which is still my favorite, is a very long way from that.

7. Tomo

Tomo Member

Hi Guys,

Thank you so much. I will check out more
    on those info.

Acoustic guitar and Ukulele are very popular
    in Japan. I get so many questions about gears.

I just got birds eye maple Ukulele! Comes with
    2 pick ups. I have been practicing my chord melody.

Thanks,

8. OOG

OOG Member

Tomo,
    check out the Roland Cube 30's acoustic setting
    i still can't believe it

9. Scott Peterson

Assumptions will get you everywhere and nowhere.

I arrived at the JBL with Tacoma, Taylor (not the K5), Ovation and Martin guitars.

The Variax came after.

Keep trying man.

:D

10. Seegs

Seegs Member

I've been playing through a lot of the acoutstic amps lately in my search and the AER is nice...but really pricey as the only one that I really really liked was the Acousticube ll...the others didn't have the tight bass response that I like...the Schertler David was also nice but I came to the same conclusion that Scott did...I liked a powered monitor best and I actually preferred the Mackie SRM 350 over the JBL...

For reference I was using an el-cheapo Martin with a B-Band pickup system...

Chow,
    Seegs

11. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

The original Fishman Acoustic Performer Pro sounds really nice. I don't know about their new "Loudbox" version.

Rivera Sedona also makes sense but I have only limited experience with them.

12. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

That's exactly what I meant - you prefer the Variax over the piezo systems because you'd already gone to a form of amplification that does not suit piezo systems, IMO. I don't find it at all surprising that you hate the piezo tone through a totally clean flat-response system, or that the Variax sounds better through it.

IMOs piezos need amplification that adds harmonic complexity and does not have a neutral EQ... just like electric guitar pickups.

The Variax seemed to prefer totally flat hi-fi reproduction - which is not surprising really, since it's basically simulating a recorded acoustic guitar. What I wondered was whether your going to a flat-response amp first (which is IMO the wrong direction) then made the Variax the correct solution in the end. Looks like I was on the right track ;).

My preference is still for piezo/magnetic through a non-hi-fi amp - it doesn't sound as much 'like' a recorded acoustic guitar, but it does (IMO) sound better.

13. Scott Peterson

Well, not really.

I still had my acoustic amp (SWR California Blonde and then a Fishman Loudbox) while *also* having the JBL powered speakers. Both before/after/during the time I had BOTH piezo/mic blender laden acoustic guitars AND the Variax. Hence my comment about assumptions.

It is what it is John. My point on this thread was simply to suggest that a powered monitor like the JBL EON G2 is a viable choice and worth checking out.

Variax or not.

FWIW, I have played the Variax Acoustic though a few acoustic amps and stand by my opinions of it. But that isn't really relevent to this thread.

14. B Vance

B Vance Member

For acoustic guitars I have yet to hear an amp I like more than the Fishman Loudbox or Loudbox Pro. To me it preserves the integrity of the instrument better than any other amp I have heard for acoustics. I used to have a Peavey Ecoustic 112, but recently sold it because I felt it created a cloudy tone to my acoustic. The Loudbox is set at about $600 retail so you may be able to get into one for about 5 Hundy. The Loudbox Pro is like 600 watts and I doubt you need that much power, but it is considerably more expensive. Check out them out on their site.

www.fishman.com

Later,

B

15. EricatWillcutts

EricatWillcutts Member

I use an SWR Strawberry Blonde that I'm very pleased with.I actually prefer the tone over the more expensive California Blonde.

16. tuna

tuna Member

17. tuna

tuna Member

Scott, do you EQ this before it goes to the sound board? I recently got a Martin HD-28, had a Fishman Matrix pickup installed and send it to the board thru a Fishman Platinum Pro. I need to get either a monitor or take the Platinum Pro back and get an acoustic amp as our church does not have additional monitors for me. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

Tommy

18. BluWonton

BluWonton Member

AER is the best I've ever used.
    All others suck, IMO

19. Scott Peterson

When I ran Piezo laden guitars, I did use a LR Baggs Paracoustic preamp. Now I just run the Variax direct into a DI to split it off for FOH and into my JBL. Or I use the POD XT Live.

20. Scott Peterson

Also John - I will again state for the record that I utterly, flat out HATE piezo pickups. Period. Always did; always will.

:D