Amp for MSG and Scorpion Tones

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Shredmonster, May 7, 2008.

1. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

I currently own a Framus Cobra. Killer amp and suprisingly organic.

But I am looking for a classic 80's metal amp that can cover Michael schenker, Scorps and maybe even have a higher gain option or channel.

Would like an effects loop if possible.

A master if possible but would look at amps without a master. Its just that I would like to not have a Variac if I could avoid the hassle.

Decent Clean
    Great Crunch
    Killer Solo Channel with lots of sustain

The current ones I am looking at:

Bogner XTC (might be too dark)
    Plex Reissue or JCM 800 Reissue - modded
    Splawn Qucikrod
    Variplex 50
    Egnatoer Mod50
    David Bray Mod 1959HW Marshall
    SLO100
    Germino Lead 55

2. dk_ace

dk_ace Member

The Scorps were using the Fender Pro Sonics for a while. I've heard they're great for those tones.

D

3. shredhead7

shredhead7 Member

The Scorps and Schenker use(d) the Jcm 800. Schenker uses the 2205, two channel 50 watts. Uli used the 100 watt super trem. Mat's used the 800 from 79-88. When I saw them on tour in 04, they were using Engls.

You don't need to have them modded. Use a wah, half cracked to get that lead tone.

4. boltino

boltino Member

It doesn't quite meet all of your criteria, but when I crank up the gain on my Laney GH50L, I can't help but play the intro to "Rock You Like a Hurricane."

But this makes sense because, IMHO anyway, the Laney is in the hot rodded marshall vein.

Good Luck.

5. GrecoVee

GrecoVee Member

Being a big fan of the Scorpions and Schenker,:bow both have that classic Marshall JMP MV or JCM 800 50 watt MV amp sound cranked thur a Marshall 4x12 loaded with original 25 or 30 watt Celestions!

6. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Thjose amps weren't nowhere near the gain level of the ons you have listed. The obvious choice would be a 50 watt JMP. That's what both Schenkers used back in the day. I guess the closest from your list may be the Blankenship or Germino. That said with multiple channel and a loop it changes things.
    What kinda price level are you looking at?

7. stump

stump Member

Guitar Player December 2007 has an interview with Jabs and Schenker- Jabs is currently using Prosonic combos- Schenker Engl. Jabs used 50 watt Marshalls until the late 80s and then Soldano.

8. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Michael Schenker used that half-cocked wah to get that mid range tone through old 50 watt Marshalls.
    Two words for you on your quest for an amp that will do all of your requirements..........Crate Stealth

9. Joe_Steeler

Joe_Steeler Member

10. 2555SL

2555SL Member

In my old cover band (circa 1980), my guitar player used a 335 through a Boogie MkIIB (MXR Script Phase 100 and 10-band EQ) to replicate the following, exactly!:

Lights Out, Lovedrive, Too Hot to Handle, Loving You Sunday Morning, The Boys Are Back In Town, Aqualung, Tie Your Mother Down, Jane, Anytime, Rock & Roll, Smokin', Barracuda, Spirit Of Radio, Rockin' Into The Night, .... list went on and on.

Simple answer: Get yourself a late-'70s/early-'80s Marshall 50-watt MV and a wah.

11. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Now that is what I call a set list!!!

12. shoestring

shoestring Supporting Member

Get an 800 or a jvm.

13. shoestring

shoestring Supporting Member

Also a dsl would do nicely too.

14. 2555SL

2555SL Member

Haha, yeah....those were the days. Load in on a Thursday afternoon, load out after the bar closed Saturday night. Brought our own sound and lights. Each night would be either 4 45-minute, or 3 50-minute sets. Pick all the hard rock songs you like, and people actually got up and danced to every song. Plus side???...you got PAID WELL!!!!! ;)

After 28 years, I can't remember the complete set lists to save my life. Scorps, UFO, Boston, Kansas, Queen, Journey, B. Gudreau, P. Travers, Heart, Zep, ELP, Thin Lizzy, Rush, J. Tull, J. Starship, Santana (All I Ever Wanted), Babies, New England (Don't Ever Wanna Lose Ya), Cars, .38 Special, ...and whatever else was rockin the radio at that time.

Not sure why we never covered VH, Mountain, D. Purple, Bad Company, Nugent, ZZTop, etc.

15. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

VHT Sig X will do that. For a single channel amp, the Top hat Emplexador is really nice in the "classic" setting.

16. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

17. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

Would like to keep it about $1500

18. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

OK so if I go with a Marshall 2205 or 50 Watt JMP - what is the best thing to get for attenuation so I don't kill the tubes and caps?

19. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

+1

I know that Ed has been playing through a Sig:X recently with great results and I have one on order.

I'd try one out if possible.

20. Shredmonster

Shredmonster Member

Alright. I will. As long as I am at it I am going to try the Marshall JVM410H also.

Been hearing good things about the JVM.

Ideally a MV Marshall sounding head capable of higher gains would be the perfect amp for me.

So I think I have it narrowed down to 2 now Sig X and JVM.