Amp for stoner rock band...

ShaunOsovs

I use a Orange Rocker 30 in my band live and we have been labelled 'stoner rock'. Its got a fantastic dirt channel, but my little secret... I use the natural channel almost the entire show. Its a loud and clean blank slate that allows me to use distortion and fuzz pedals to taste for our songs. R30's can be had on reverb for $600-800 and they were the last Oranges in that price range to be made in England before production moved to China with the TH30 (AFAIK).

sizzlemeister

Unless you're playing small theatres and outdoor festivals, I'd be wary of the wattage. Most of the sound you're after will be amp and not pedals and so you'll have to crank it.

I can never play my Bassman out because my band isn't big enough to play those venues, but, cranking a Bassman is where it's at.

Doomrider78

Why?
Great amp that will get you close to the tones you want.
I've said it before; for anything other than my 8-string doom/stoner stuff,
the Katana would work as a THE amp.
In all honesty, for the first time in my life I'm in a position where I can turn an amp up, after years of playing at bedroom and apartment volumes, so I'm kinda finding my way with gear. I've never played a tube amp and there's obviously a "fear of missing out" sense to this.

Having said that, I think the other guys were quite impressed how well the Katana Artist hung with the other guys 100w Marshall plus 4x12.

I've just watched a Red Fang rig rundown and yes, they use solid state Sunn bass amps.

sahhas

Supporting Member
not sure of amp use, but my EHX Green Russian Muff is just sludgy-goodness!!!!

I also have a germanium fuzz face that is just great sludge sounding....

Jonny G

Yeah, the cab I'll deal with separately. I dont believe any of those bands use fuzz pedals, although I could be wrong.
CoC have been, historically, Mesas, bit have recently switched to Orange. Clutch are a mix of Marshall and orange, AiC are hot-rodded Marshalls (Friedman, now). Red Fang, I believe, use Orange CR120s. Kyuss may have used fuzz pedals but ,as I said, I'm not looking to copy.
There a pattern here...

Other thing about Oranges is they do have the most amazing thick crunch which is better than any pedal i've ever come across. I dont actually play Stoner, but love the natural Orange crunch (ask me how I know ;))

ifallalot

Supporting Member

Niklas Källgren uses Mesas, and if the Truckfighters aren't Stoner Rock I don't know what is

Kevdes93

Find yourself a used orange, a russian muff, and a rat. I've been playing doom stoner stuff for a long time and always come back to those! Right now all I'm running is a rat2 I got at guitar center and a russian big muff from 2000 with a clean boost into an orange micro dark and I can get pretty much any tone I want in the doom stoner arena

DonaldDemon

As you can see there are many ways to approach these tones. The only thing I feel like are necessary are higher wattage amps and multiple speakers, 4x12 is a minimum for me. Sorry combo users, it may sound close but you will be lacking the power and punch.

You’ll need a killer fuzz pedal with that amp. And a 4x12 cab.
This is my approach. A British style and (Splawn or Peavey VTM),a 4x12, and a fuzz pedal to push it over the top. DOD Carcosa is my go to right now. This way I can have a more straight up hard rock sound with just the amp and kick in the fuzz got full out stoner doom. It's this reason I don't like amps with fuzziness built in, like most Oranges. You can't easily dial out the fuzziness since it's built in. Others may prefer that.

I'm constantly looking on Reverb and never find anything that is worth going for: it's usually no cheaper than new gear I can buy around here (Vancouver), once you add in postage. With US stuff I have to add in import duty as well.
I promise you an old OR-80 or OR-120 is better than whatever new Orange you'd be looking at. At the same price, I'd have the older amp. Many vintage amps are like this in today's market. They may cost as much as a new amp, but that doesn't mean they aren't worth buying because they're used.

Robert Libutti

Supporting Member
Are you ruling out Reverb for used? I got an Orange TH100 a few years ago for $950 US. It's pretty versatile, 30-100 watts. I had a CR60 and it was good, but I wanted a 4x12; the 1x12 combo +1x12 extension cab couldn't keep up . I would think the CR120 should be pretty good. I've seen some pretty heavy bands promoting that amp. Another option..maybe, since you're willing to go solid state would be something like the Bias Amp Mini. Might give you the variety you want, they are like $800 new US, and have a 300 watt power amp. Never used one, but seem kinda cool. Seems like the DSL100 is a favorite here too. A DOD Boneshaker adds that shaggy overlay that might let you use 80% DSL tone then fizz/fuzz it up with the Boneshaker when needed.

Doomrider78

Are you ruling out Reverb for used? I got an Orange TH100 a few years ago for $950 US. It's pretty versatile, 30-100 watts. I had a CR60 and it was good, but I wanted a 4x12; the 1x12 combo +1x12 extension cab couldn't keep up . I would think the CR120 should be pretty good. I've seen some pretty heavy bands promoting that amp. Another option..maybe, since you're willing to go solid state would be something like the Bias Amp Mini. Might give you the variety you want, they are like $800 new US, and have a 300 watt power amp. Never used one, but seem kinda cool. Seems like the DSL100 is a favorite here too. A DOD Boneshaker adds that shaggy overlay that might let you use 80% DSL tone then fizz/fuzz it up with the Boneshaker when needed.
I am ruling out Reverb for used, partly because I dont trust someone to package up something like this and then courier it thousands of miles across Canada without damage. I'm sure that sounds crazy but it's not worth the risk IMO. I'm going to keep an eye on my local scene, and my local shop has a reasonable used amp section that also allows me to rent stuff to try out, which may come in handy.

Thanks for all the input, folks. I'm in no rush as my Katana Artist will do for the time being but I'll continue to look around for the right deal.

Keep the recommendations/chat coming :beer:drink:aok

undeadxundead

No worries, and thanks for your input. I'm sure there is more to it than what I said in my post but the amp types I mentioned were based on interviews with the bands and various rig rundowns. As you say, I'm sure they use all sorts of stuff in the studio.
Yeah man it’s a wild tone chase, hope you can find the tones your looking for! I was on a QoTSA-Sleep kick for awhile.

Robert Libutti

Supporting Member
I am ruling out Reverb for used, partly because I dont trust someone to package up something like this and then courier it thousands of miles across Canada without damage. I'm sure that sounds crazy but it's not worth the risk IMO. I'm going to keep an eye on my local scene, and my local shop has a reasonable used amp section that also allows me to rent stuff to try out, which may come in handy.

Thanks for all the input, folks. I'm in no rush as my Katana Artist will do for the time being but I'll continue to look around for the right deal.

Keep the recommendations/chat coming :beer:drink:aok
Yeah. I hear you on the whole Reverb front. A pedal is one thing, but $1000 tube amp is another. I was lucky enough to find one from Cream City Music which is a legit brick and mortar store. Thing came packed in a huge, purpose made amp head box with that spray in foam. It was packaged like the Mesa Dual Recto that I got from the factory in 2001.

Trending Topics