Amp for stoner rock band...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doomrider78, Jul 10, 2019.

1. BenB123

BenB123 Member

2. Peteyforto

Peteyforto Member

$1100 Canadian is about $836 US. If it absolutely has to be brand new, I'd look at Laney or the Orange DT30. Laney's are nice.

3. sugarlou

sugarlou Supporting Member

Dave's not here man

4. Page of Cups

Page of Cups Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  5. BenB123

BenB123 Member

Here is a good look at an Orange Cr120 used for stoner tones. Keep in mind the drop tuning.

6. oildrops

oildrops Member

So can Traynors tbh and they are insanely loud and bright without mods. I had mine modded to a bass spec Marshall with master volume. I find the bass low input to be the best for fuzz, while the high side sounds best with humbuckers straight in.

I'd get a RI bassman or super reverb if I was starting over but for those bands in the OP an orange or Mesa
    is perfect.

7. dotlikeimpact

dotlikeimpact Supporting Member

Get the V4. THE amp for this stuff. QOTSA has been using them for years. Throw either a Black Arts Pharoah or a Volt Thrower in front.

Page of Cups likes this.
  8. texhex

texhex Supporting Member

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  9. mvsr990

mvsr990 Supporting Member

Pretty much anything low to medium gain and loud will work. Understandably, you say used is out but old relatively cheap vintage stuff will do this job well - Traynor, Ampeg, non-model T vintage Sunns, the Sunn Beta Lead or Beta Bass (latter is cheaper and all you're missing out on is crappy reverb).

10. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Yeah, not really into vintage stuff as it's often more trouble than it's worth.

11. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

For stoner rock, grab a CR120 and dont look back. Use the money you save to get a couple of cool pedals.

12. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

If I could get hold of one, I probably would.

13. slybird

slybird Member

14. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

15. slybird

slybird Member

Hit the link and find out.

16. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Hmmm sounds like crap, to be honest. Certainly not a tone I'd go seeking :p

17. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

This is JMPO but anytime I play something doomy, a modded JCM800 makes a pretty good sound.

A big part is the cab. Something big and warm and huge sounding. Nothing small will work.

I personally feel the Katana Artist is a rather under appreciated amp. Many doom guys play SS rigs. The KA has fuzz and Orange sims all inbuilt but the Brown sound with some EQ and the right boost probably does a pretty great effort already. I can’t imagine it sounding worse than some clean SS amp with a SS pedal in front of it like many doom guys use. Add a 4x12 and the thing probably rips.

Now as for the Crush Pro...in Aus they are about a grand for a SS head. I thought it sounded quite decent but it’s expensive. I liked the KA much better as well as the Jim Root Terror.

The RV50 Mk I or II is SH in mint condition probably around $850. Turned up with a 4x12, that is a pretty impressive tone. Very unique and it is enjoyable to play. It’s not cutting or Uber tight but it’s got a great grizzly bear with a bear trap clamped on its nads roar happening. I want another just for that sound as it was awesome.

Doomrider78 likes this.
  18. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I'd like a Rockerverb, and may hold out for when a used one rears its head.

As I said, the KA actually did a pretty good job on it's own, without any external pedals, and just the onboard 1x12 waza speaker. I would be interested to see what it sounds like with a 4x12. As I'd need one with a head anyway, that may be my next purchase/rental.

19. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

For reference, Josh Homme is my favorite guitar player ever. There are a million directions you can go for an amp, but if you're after those early Queens tones, the Stonedeaf PDF-2 (not the 1) is a must. J-Ho has one on his board.

Check this out:

I'd seriously recommend grabbing one and bringing it to any amp demo you try. You really don't need a super saturated amp for Queens tones. Not that it's nice to have, but Josh uses old Ampegs, though he's back to a Peavey that he used, I believe, at the end of Kyuss and the beginning of Gamma Ray/Queens.

The other gear you might want to check out is Kevin Starrs from Uncle Acid; he's using some modified Bassmasters. His tone is amazing. I try to chase Kevin's tone because it's original enough to be his but generic enough that he can cover a lot of sonic ground. Essentially, if it can play something from Sabbath i-IV, then I'm in.

Echoplexi likes this.
  20. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

If the other guy has a Marshall, I might go Fender-y plus fuzz for you. It's about balancing within the band, not really getting the "name" gear. Who plays more leads? What guitars/cabs/pickups are you both using?