Amp for stoner rock band...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doomrider78, Jul 10, 2019 at 1:36 AM.

1. ekajnitram

ekajnitram Member

I've been using an EQD Hoof, but recently swapped that for a Friedman BE OD and I run into a wet dry setup using a Fender Blues Deluxe and Marshall DSL40. I can get all manner of sounds with an EQD Palisades pushing the Friedman a bit. The EQ on the amps took me a bit to get right, and I honestly am not a fan of how either amps sounds on it's own currently, but running together it's killer and they compliment each other perfectly. Both amps are run pretty much entirely clean, although the Marshall breaks up much sooner than the Fender.

2. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Uncle Acid are killer, I’d love to see them live

chrisjw5 likes this.
  3. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I'm wondering if I'll keep my KA until we settle on a sound because its pretty versatile and I can try out different things. I can get something else then, unless I find a good deal. before.

Conversely, I'd probably be happy to use something like a DSL100H with a Iron Horse pedal, or something by EQD. That will get me most sounds I'll use, U guess.

4. kcook301

kcook301 Member

If you're looking into new amps specifically, I'd check some of the lower wattage Oranges. The CR120 I hear is actually pretty cool. Kirk from Crowbar has been using a few. If you would consider buying used, even if it came from the US, you could probably score an older Laney or a Peavey VTM for in that price range.

5. jomo

jomo Member

Traynor ygl-3 mark III

GusFowler likes this.
  6. jomo

jomo Member

you should try a marshall 1959slp reissue..with an orange cab...its killer too

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

OT but we sell the katanas and yes, they're surprisingly legit for actual loud on stage playing. lots of solid state modeling amps seem to be made to sound good while noodling in the music store or at home but just don't bring it live in a band mix regardless of power.

tube amps are still a different beast and worth exploring; even as clean pedal platforms the tube amp brings a lot of character to the sound.

that said, if you're leaning solid state then you could do worse than just keeping the katana, maybe setting it to "mostly clean" and using some freaky fuzz or distortion pedals in front of it.

8. Betos

Betos Member

The best stoner amp is definitely, without a doubt, indubitably the...

...damn, I forgot

De Batz, GusFowler and noley like this.
  9. ukslinger

ukslinger Member

Orange rockerverb or jcm800 with muff ?

10. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

Sunn beta leads or beta bass solid states.

11. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

If you can, DO IT

Echoplexi likes this.
  12. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

For a stoner band you must tie-dye your speaker grillcloth. It's not the easiest thing to do but it can be done.

13. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

This is my genre! Laney GH50L with a fuzz or Rat can get some wicked stoner tones. Super cheap used too. I've been happier since switching to Marshall Jubilee but I go for more of a classic tone anyway. DSL will work. Or check out the Marshall Origin 50 head. Loud, big fat vintagey rock sound. Has a great drive of its own or takes pedals well too. Dirt cheap even new. It's basically a budget JTM45/plexi.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 11:26 PM
  14. oildrops

oildrops Member

Uncle Acid was using Tweed Bassman RIs when I saw them. I don't think they ever used Bassmasters. Great band!

15. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

I think a Marshall would suit, actually, as it gets me a classic metal/rock tone that I can also stick a Iron Horse, or other such pedal, in front off to add some fuzziness.

My local store has a used Origin 50 head in at the moment.

16. cookieshoes

cookieshoes Supporting Member

There is no “perfect amp” for Stoner rock. Most of the albums made with the obvious “loud amp + fuzz + downtune” formula sound the same (not a bad thing). The amp really doesn’t matter.

Josh Homme has probably used at least 200 different amps on the various QOTSA and related records, and yet still manages to always sound like himself. Songs for the Deaf had a dozen different small solid state practice amps boosted with everything from boss pedals to Zvex and he toured that record with a small ampeg combo amp boosted with a Boss Super Overdrive for leads. About as far from a “wall of doom” amp rig as you can get.

For early QOTSA, the fuzz sound from the Fulltone Ultimate Octave together with the Super Distortion pickups in his Ovation solidbody were far more significant than the amps were. No amount of dialing in a Sunn, Orange, Matamp, or Marshall will get you that sound. But put that fuzz and a guitar with high gain pickups into ANY amp and you’ve got that sound.

Zeegler likes this.
  17. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

Definitely try it out if you can. The origins are like an old school Marshall that needs the master cranking up to get the drive out of it. Once you get that master up its thick marshally goodness :) if you're playing in a stoner rock band volume shouldn't be an issue anyway!

I really like a Turbo Rat into a dirty amp for stoner stuff. It's got that thick and raw fuzzy quality but still retains clarity for when you want to get a bit chuggy.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 2:25 AM
  18. Emcee_m_prime

Emcee_m_prime Member

If you can't do used, check out the EHX Mig 50 (reissue of the SovTek amp, which was a modified Bassman). It's in your budget new and will even leave you money for a fuzzstortion pedal.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019 at 4:48 AM
    GusFowler likes this.
  19. guitarbilly74

guitarbilly74 Supporting Member

20. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Since you can and will pile up all your pedals to stuff that tone into a clean amp, you can really buy whatever amp you want. Don't get stuck with the maintenance issues of tubes and tube re-capping. Why not go with the legend? I would say you could even buy a pair of them and use an ABY switcher pedal for added mayhem!

Famous for "Loud, Takes Pedals Well, Durable, and Cheap", don't get bogged down on 'stripe color' as any of them are good, I have examples from the early 80s to the modern aughts/teens.

The secret controls ...

Many options...

NorCal_Val likes this.