Amp for stoner rock band...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Doomrider78, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

That sounds terrible. I'll pass, thanks.

Tbh I'm not that much of a pedal guy: I'd rather get my distortion from the amp, if I can.

2. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

3. DemonJr

DemonJr Member

Stay Canadian

Get the Traynor YBA reissue.

GusFowler likes this.
  4. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

You're suggesting an amp that is no longer made that requires modding to prevent electrocuting the user and actually sound decent? I'll pass, thanks.

5. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

that orange crush, though, is still a solid option.

They're pretty cheap around here, dunno what they go for in Canada.

6. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Can't get one at the moment: it appears they are special order only and I'd want to try it before I bought it.

7. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

I just use my Dual Rectifier.

greatmutah likes this.
  8. greatmutah

greatmutah Member

Read through the whole thread. So here's my take. If you're only looking at new, for that style and around your budget, I'd say the following:

DSL100H - You can get them a little cheaper than the HR and I think they sound better, personally. Green crunch boosted will be your friend here but it'll be a one channel amp like this. Not a bad thing. If you want to switch between all 4 modes, get the HR.
    Peavey 6505/5150 - don't even bother with the + or II. Rhythm channel, crunch engaged, gain up, slam with a TS-9 or SD-1. It will sound massive and hit like a sledge hammer.
    Peavey 3120 (Rebadged XXX. Crunch channel with loose dampening)
    Orange CR120H - Yeah it's the Orange sound and solid state but it does analog solid state very well.
    And I normally don't suggest these amps BUT in this case, Bugera 1960 (Superlead type clone with PPIMV) and a Treble Booster like a Naga Viper or PLX Bion Boost (I prefer the Bion boost)
    Supersonic 22 - Think like a looser/more ragged Mesa Mark style amp, but from Fender. Dual gains yield some cool sounds.

These are my 'gotta have brand new, prefer amp OD to pedals/fuzz tones' because that's what you specified and you DON'T need fuzz to do Stoner or Doom all the time. The exception being the Bugera. You can get good amp overdrive out of it, but a treble booster for that type of amp (Superlead) will take it to the genre you're looking for. You could slam the DSL with it too on the crunch channel and it would sound great. FWIW, I am primarily a "I want my OD to be amp OD guy" myself, but I love a Treble Booster in the right application.

Ok... so we've covered new. I know you said used isn't an option but here we go. All the options above are recommended used as well.

Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier - Big thick lows, nice sag, and a GREAT compliment to a Marshall. Dial both amps to their own strengths and they fill out a mix together beautifully. Look for a used Tremoverb especially. They have a bit sweeter mids than the standard treadplate Dual Recs. The Dual Rec is the amp of choice for one Woodrow Weatherman.
    Mesa 50 Caliber/Dual Caliber DC-5 or DC-10 - Pepper Keenan used 50 Cals for years. The Dual Caliburs are somewhat Mark-ish meets Recto in their drive channels. I don't recommend a Mark entirely for this because they're almost too smooth for this style.
    Orange Rockerverb - if you can find a used one for a good price and can play it, snag it. It's the current favorite among those styles of bands.
    Peavey VTM 120 - Dipswitches galore, huge toneshaping, usually affordable used and take ODs and Treble Boosters like a champ. Clean channel is the best amp I've ever run a Muff into.
    Laney VH/GH series
    Laney AOR

These will give you some solid starting points. I hope these help.

9. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

This is the most accurate answer in this thread so far. First off, there are so many bands that get lumped into the stoner rock genre that have such completely different guitar tone. The amp doesn't really matter as much as how you dial it in and what effects you're using.

My own "stoner" rig consists of an old Peavey Butcher with a matching cab, and a Marshall 6100 through a matching cab. I split the signal and run a Boss SD-1 into the Marshall and an Ibanez 850 into the Butcher. Crushing!

10. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Cheers, guys.

I'm not completely discounting used but I'm not gonna use Reverb: it would have to be from a local store, or someone who I trusted.

greatmutah likes this.
  11. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Yeah, I'm coming round to that way of thinking as well.

12. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

I also, when feeling like destroying small animals up to a block away, will run the Dual Recto and JCM800 in stereo, sometimes using an OCD in front of the JCM.

Sometimes a pharaoh in front of both, sometimes maybe a Black Forest. Really, that combo, to me, can do anything not necessarily clean. Thrash, doom, stoner, sludge, prog: you name it.

Maybe not country; dunno, never tried.

13. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Fellow Canadian here. I bought my OR80 off reverb and had it shipped from one end of the country to the other. I'm in Nova Scotia.

There are a bunch of ways to get the tone you want. I'd see what's local and what you can try.

If you can disregard the corksniffery the DSL is, IMO, a fine place to start trying.

I'd stick to the vintage channel and hit it with a rat or some fuzz like a big muff in front. Try as much as you can.

Some guys use a clean vintage style amp with pedals, Tim Sult just uses a marshall or Orange cranked up with no pedals, Matt Pike uses modern high gain oranges and soldanos.

So, yeah, lots of options out there for you.

14. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Matt Pike is using Bogners now, or at least he was when I saw them last month.

I think the DSL is looking like the winner at the moment.

Custom50 likes this.
  15. Goldie Glocks

Goldie Glocks Member

I agree, the DSL is the best choice. I have one and a JCM 2000 and they are both excellent for the genre and beyond.

Also, I saw Sleep last month as well (wonder if we were at the same show?) and Matt Pike was using Orange amplifiers and cabinets. He uses a Matamp Green in studio though.

16. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

No this was High on Fire at the Modified Ghost Festival here in Vancouver. Sleep weren't playing.

Sleep are a different animal to HoF so he probably uses different gear.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  17. Zeegler

Zeegler Member

If you're in Canada, have you looked on Kijiji?

18. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Yeah, although nothing of interest at the moment.

19. Custom50

Custom50 Member

Oh yeah?

Last I saw it was a Soldano SLO and an Orange Dual Dark. He changes amps like we change our clothes though hahaha.

But man, try the DSL out, bring a few pedals.

Worst case is that it doesn't gel with you and you try some other stuff out. Plus, half the fun is trying out new gear and new sounds, so happy hunting!

Doomrider78 likes this.
  20. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

Re the DSL: there's a video on the Marshall YouTube of Josh Landau from The Shrine playing through the DSL40CR which sounds great. Nice and thick even with his strat.

Doomrider78 likes this.