Amp for stoner rock band...

DonaldDemon

As I said, I'm not trying to copy their sounds, so it doesn't have to do 1001 things, but it would be nice to go from a fairly loose, fuzzed tone to a tighter, more trad metal tone, even I have to use a distortion or OD pedal to achieve the latter, or use a fuzz to achieve the former. Personally, I'd rather go for a more Marshall type amp and use a fuzz pedal when required because I'm not a huge fan of overly fuzzed out tones.
That's exactly how I do it. Be on the look out for some kind of 50-100w Marshall type amp and try a few treble booster or fuzzes until you find the formula that works for you. Based on your mention of priest and AIC, I'd look out for an 800 or similar derivative.

Riffzilla

Yeah, 800 (or DSL classic crunch) with a few boosts/fuzzes for different types of gain. OD1 on the DSL ultra gain will smash that Cantrell modded Marshall type tone too.

NorCal_Val

For the doom/stoner project I was working on, I used my Boogie Triple Rectifier with a variety of fuzz pedals. That allowed for the widest range of tones.(for my purposes)

dotlikeimpact

Maybe give the Blackstar HT Stage 100 a shot? Not expensive new, and should be pretty versatile — can get both big American gain sounds and tight British grind.

GusFowler

Hell, an old tube PA would work.
I just got a modded Bogen M120 for $50. Quartet of exotic 8417 power tubes produce... yep, 120w RMS. Has master vol and independent input volumes for each channel. SHUD B LOWD AZ FLUK. I sent it into the tender care of Don Butler the Tone Man to see if it needs new caps or if any further mods can be wrung out of it.

soggybag

That’s a huge range in the character of the gain tone those bands use. It’s impossible to recommend something for that range. No one amp will do all that.

You said you want flexibility. A solid pedal platform and a few pedals will go a lot further in getting you there.

If you don’t want to use pedals you’ll need to decide on a specific tone that suits you. Otherwise you’ll be running in circles forever and never get to making music. Trust me, I’ve been down this road with the Stoner/psyche type genre and the variation in types of tone is greater than any other genre.

One minute you’re listening to Red Fang which is crazy loose raunchy Sun Beta tone and the next minute you’re on to The Sword which is tight crunchy Marshally and modern Orange tone then you’re on Sleep which is vintage OR Orange cranked to 10 and blasted with fuzz. It’s all over the place and can drive you crazy tone chasing. Personally I settled on two options for myself.

I play a lot in this genre and I like using a JTM45 because it gives me that looser Marshall vibe but is also a great platform for various OD, fuzz and distortion pedals. Plus the JTM45 has that big low end you need.

I also use a Friedman JJ100 which gives me the best tighter Marshall type vibe I’ve ever heard plus a clean channel for all my other various pedals.

Some ideas:
OR15
JJ Jr
JTM45 clone
Bassman
JCM800

But honestly, if you read up on a lot of the threads asking this same question, the most popular answer you’ll usually find is, any cheap old amp cranked loud with whatever pedals you want.
I totally agree, to get a range of sounds on stage pedals are the easiest way to go. You might get a good range of flavor from two channels and guitar volume tone and pickup combinations. Depends on how you play I suppose.

I feel like I need a good fuzzy dark rhythm tone and crisper crunchier lead tone. The rhythm tone can be lose but the lead tone needs some definition. If the rhythm tone is too crisp it’s too classic metal, Metallica and Slayer instead of Fu Manchu Electric Wizard.

Doomrider78

I totally agree, to get a range of sounds on stage pedals are the easiest way to go. You might get a good range of flavor from two channels and guitar volume tone and pickup combinations. Depends on how you play I suppose.

I feel like I need a good fuzzy dark rhythm tone and crisper crunchier lead tone. The rhythm tone can be lose but the lead tone needs some definition. If the rhythm tone is too crisp it’s too classic metal, Metallica and Slayer instead of Fu Manchu Electric Wizard.
Yeah, I'm coming around to the idea of using an amp with a nice clean tone and then pedals to achieve the OD and distortion tones I desire.

The dude in All Them Witches uses a Fender (a twin reverb, I think), together with an OCD and a blues driver.

I guess I could try pedals into the clean channel of my Katana Artist, but it seems pointless having that amp if I'm not using the on-board effects (I'm not into breaking out the laptop at practice to adjust my tone).

soggybag

Yeah, I'm coming around to the idea of using an amp with a nice clean tone and then pedals to achieve the OD and distortion tones I desire.

The dude in All Them Witches uses a Fender (a twin reverb, I think), together with an OCD and a blues driver.

I guess I could try pedals into the clean channel of my Katana Artist, but it seems pointless having that amp if I'm not using the on-board effects (I'm not into breaking out the laptop at practice to adjust my tone).
I could never use computer generated effects they seem too unreliable and prone to latency. On the other hand I’ll string together any number of analog effects. In practice I usually have 5 effects: tuner > OD > Distortion/fuzz > Modulation/wah > Delay > sometimes boost.

Edit: I usually have the amp set to cleanish. I have a Marshall 18 watt clone with 4 EL84s for 36 watts, and a TMB channel in place of the trem channel. It only has volume control. No master volume or gain.

I’ve been thinking of getting an amp with more control and using the amp distortion more. I feel like this would change my effects setup a bit. I’m looking at the Ceriatone Son of Yeti or maybe the Orange AD30. This thread pointed out the Laney GH50 which looks cheaper and has a lot of controls.

Last edited:

Doomrider78

I could never use computer generated effects they seem too unreliable and prone to latency. On the other hand I’ll string together any number of analog effects. In practice I usually have 5 effects: tuner > OD > Distortion/fuzz > Modulation/wah > Delay > sometimes boost.
If you're referring to the katana, there's certainly no latency, or at least none that is detectable. In terms of reliability: Are you sure about that? Digital effects are likely to be more reliable than analogue, and certainly more reliable than tube-based technology. OK, they may not sound as good, but unreliable they are not. Yes, I appreciate there can sometimes be firmware issues, but they are easily fixed by a downloaded update, rather than having to send your gear away or take it to a tech to fix.

soggybag

If you're referring to the katana, there's certainly no latency, or at least none that is detectable. In terms of reliability: Are you sure about that? Digital effects are likely to be more reliable than analogue, and certainly more reliable than tube-based technology. OK, they may not sound as good, but unreliable they are not. Yes, I appreciate there can sometimes be firmware issues, but they are easily fixed by a downloaded update, rather than having to send your gear away or take it to a tech to fix.
I haven’t used the Katana, I have a lot of confidence in Boss. I was thinking more about using a laptop with something like garage band or a phone with an effects app. Admittedly I haven’t tried this yet so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Doomrider78

I haven’t used the Katana, I have a lot of confidence in Boss. I was thinking more about using a laptop with something like garage band or a phone with an effects app. Admittedly I haven’t tried this yet so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Gotcha. When I referred to using my laptop, I meant using it to adjust settings on my amp.

I've tried the whole laptop thing and it's not my thing at all: I use computers all day at work and don't want to use one to play guitar as well. I certainly couldn't use it in our practice space.

soggybag

Gotcha. When I referred to using my laptop, I meant using it to adjust settings on my amp.

I've tried the whole laptop thing and it's not my thing at all: I use computers all day at work and don't want to use one to play guitar as well. I certainly couldn't use it in our practice space.
For sure, I get too much screen time at work. I have a friend that uses Main Stage, a lap top, and a midi controller and is amazing. It’s not my thing and I’m just not that great with tat stuff. I do understand my pedals though and they never let me down.

Calebz

Jet City JCA50h and your favorite V30ish cab.

Set everything at noon, throw an OD or two in front to change flavors. Dial to taste. Skip the 'clean' end of the lower gain channel completely and you can swing anything from AC/DC to tighter more modern metal. With a couple OD, it's like having a whole pile of different drive channels.

Honestly that can be said of most of the amps suggested in this thread. I like the soldano flavor for a lot of stuff, so having a budget option is nice.

They can also be modded fairly easily if buying stuff and immediately voiding the warranty is your thing. It's mine.

Buck Woodson

Supporting Member
I'd like a Rockerverb, and may hold out for when a used one rears its head.

As I said, the KA actually did a pretty good job on it's own, without any external pedals, and just the onboard 1x12 waza speaker. I would be interested to see what it sounds like with a 4x12. As I'd need one with a head anyway, that may be my next purchase/rental.
I've tried the Katana Artist and didn't like it. I have an Orange CR120H and a Marshall DSL100HR, I slightly prefer the latter.

Dave Simpson playlist: How many tones can you get out of the orange cr120?

https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9HMdGPrqA5C6-H0OYf5D-nKbqUdeoHuD

Dave Simpson CR120 compared to Rockerverb