Amp for stoner rock band...

Funky54

Id be in this with an AC30, ES335 a Scarab Deluxe and a Jetter Helium.

Labels man... A third of the bands mentioned, I would not call Stoner...

Doomrider78

I thought Sabbath was considered the original metal band.
They are, but they spawned many different sub-genres. Stoner rock took what Sabbath did and mixed up with other influences such as Blue Cheer, Iggy and the Stooges and MC5.

It's actually a very diverse style, ranging from Clutch, who are very blues-based, albeit coming from a hardcore background, right through to heavier, more metal bands, such as Corrosion of Conformity (who also started out as a hardcore band).

If you want to hear a classic example of stoner rock, listen to Gardenia, by Kyuss (the band Queens of the Stone age evolved from). They were also part of the desert rock scene, hailing from Palm Springs.

bender

Considering getting a Hilbish 200W Beta Lead for guitar--doing ambient metal with some stoner/doom influences etc.

Using a lot of pedals.

Thoughts? Any point going 700W?

I currently run a 1974 Orange OR80.

bender

Holy thread resurrection, Batman :p

I can't answer that, though. Sorry. What's wrong with the Orange?

Ah well, being a good TGP citizen, I did a search for a thread rather than starting a new one . . . it's only a few weeks old from the last reply btw--not quite a necro!

ANYWAY.

The Orange . . . it's SUPER HEAVY. It's a 2x12, so quite unwieldy. I have a 2x12 I could use with the Hilbish + opens up the possibility of driving some 15" speakers or some such. Playing D Standard or Drop C, perhaps running an octave down too.

Doomrider78

Ah well, being a good TGP citizen, I did a search for a thread rather than starting a new one . . . it's only a few weeks old from the last reply btw--not quite a necro!

ANYWAY.

The Orange . . . it's SUPER HEAVY. It's a 2x12, so quite unwieldy. I have a 2x12 I could use with the Hilbish + opens up the possibility of driving some 15" speakers or some such. Playing D Standard or Drop C, perhaps running an octave down too.
Furry muff.

phoghat

If I was starting a stoner band today, I wouldn't even consider a contemporary amp. Ampeg V4 or an oldschool Peavey Mace or Road King head is the ticket. Cheap too.

sleewell

5153 and some fuzz works great for me. i think the genre falls into some traps where you have to be cool and use a certain type of gear but you really don't if you just write some good music.

Doomrider78

5153 and some fuzz works great for me. i think the genre falls into some traps where you have to be cool and use a certain type of gear but you really don't if you just write some good music.
Yup. All this rubbish about having to use vintage gear is cork-sniffing BS: With all the amps and pedals around today there us absolutely no need to go with vintage gear. Also, "stoner rock" is a nebulous term, with no single defining sound, so feel free to use what you like. What you write is more important.

sleewell

Yup. All this rubbish about having to use vintage gear is cork-sniffing BS: With all the amps and pedals around today there us absolutely no need to go with vintage gear. Also, "stoner rock" is a nebulous term, with no single defining sound, so feel free to use what you like. What you write is more important.

:beer

Peteyforto

Considering getting a Hilbish 200W Beta Lead for guitar--doing ambient metal with some stoner/doom influences etc.

Using a lot of pedals.

Thoughts? Any point going 700W?

I currently run a 1974 Orange OR80.
Buzz Osbourne is using Hilbish Beta Preamps now with Crown power amps. This with his Hilbish namesake overdrive pedal. There's a YT video of him being interviewed by a 10 year old punk kid where he show his live rig. I saw the guy from Earth recently open up for Sleep and he sounded great through a Rockerverb.

oildrops

Supporting Member
What did you end up with?

Trending Topics