Amp for stoner rock band...

Riq

Supporting Member
Yup. All this rubbish about having to use vintage gear is cork-sniffing BS: With all the amps and pedals around today there us absolutely no need to go with vintage gear. Also, "stoner rock" is a nebulous term, with no single defining sound, so feel free to use what you like. What you write is more important.

Exactly, Uncle Acid started with fuzzy 5e3’s (now 5f6a) with les Paul junior style guitars which isn’t standard for this genre at all and they sound great. Baroness while not stoner metal talked about leaving the “standards” in their last rig rundown .

Alnico Blue

I recommend an Orange Dual Dark (either the 50 or 100 watt versions). They're not as easy to find anymore, but if you can find one at a good price, they are amazing amplifiers.

Honestly that can be said of most of the amps suggested in this thread. I like the soldano flavor for a lot of stuff, so having a budget option is nice.
Agreed. I feel like you get a LOT of latitude in this kind of rig, so just grab something not too pricey and start playing it. The JCA stuff is a cool way to get into SLO turf on the cheap.

I've got a Fryette Deliverance 60 and it would be killer for stoner rock. So would my Reverend Hellhound (bassman style circuit) into a larger cabinet.

damian1

Yup. All this rubbish about having to use vintage gear is cork-sniffing BS: With all the amps and pedals around today there us absolutely no need to go with vintage gear. Also, "stoner rock" is a nebulous term, with no single defining sound, so feel free to use what you like. What you write is more important.
Totally agree. Although Kyuss is from Palm Desert. I went to school with Josh Homme. He was a few years older than us but we played desert parties with himand many other desert bands. All of us were just using whatever loud amp we could get to be heard outside in the desert over the generator. Most of the stuff was off brand. Some guys had old oranges, sunn, ampeg. I had a blackface bassman. Grab something loud and start rocking thats what we did

germs

Just IME, 3 albums in this style under my belt:

Orange Crush Pro 120 will get you a loooooong way. Buy the foot switch and you got a solid channel switcher.

If you’re married to toobz the OR100/120 are just unusable in any legitimate practice room. Too loud to really get the most from them. And that’s saying something. You’re gonna live in saturated territory anyway, so I’d go 50w for cost and weight.

Surprisingly the EVH 5150 III has a lot to offer. Anything in the 5150/6505 series will get you there.

Marshall is just...polarizing. I’d try out the 800/900 reissues and avoid the 2000 and TSL stuff, but that’s a personal taste thing.

sahhas

Supporting Member
I can get stoner sounds from my keyboard amp. I think the Leo is define and a good germanium fuzz face type pedal. Although my green Russian works well too