Amp fuses - quick question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by zep41, Sep 10, 2008.

1. zep41

zep41 Member

I was doing some work on a 1964 Fender Champ and it needed a new fuse.

The amp requires a 1 amp slow blow fuse (written on the back of the chasis) so I went up to Radio Shack and purchsed a few 1 amp slow blow fuses. Well, they turned out to be WAY too small for the fuseholder in this particular amplifier and did not work -which surprised me because these were the only 1 amp fuses the store had (I figured a 1 amp fuse is a 1 amp fuse). So I went back to Radio Shack and got some 3 amp slow blow fuses and these worked perfectly. Amp works and sounds fine now, but my question is:

First of all, why are fuses smaller now than they were in the 60s? Secondly, am I making a mistake by running a 3 amp fuse when the amplifier clearly calls for a 1 amp? Logic tells me no, but I want to be sure.

2. Trout

Trout Member

Radio Shack carries 2 different sizes of 1amp slow blow fuses, you should need Model: 270-1021 | Catalog #: 270-1021 which is the correct size for the fuse holder.
    1.0-Amp 250V 1¼x¼" Slow Blow Fuse (4-Pack)

If it does not fit, there might actually be a problem with the fuse holder iteslf.

Using an oversized slo blow fuse will most likely ruin your power transformer in the event that something fails in the amp ( caps, tube, short)

edit, Availabilty varies from store to store, often one store will not have the correct part and 10 miles up the road the next store does.

3. Adwex

Adwex Member

Logic should tell you yes. The 3 amp fuse will blow when the current exceeds 3 amps, but your amplifier was designed with a fuse that will blow at only 1 amp. You are allowing 3 times the current as originally designed. Bad logic. Bad idea.

4. zep41

zep41 Member

good info there -- thanks.

so your saying that an oversized fuse (meaning a fuse with a higher amp rating than the amplifier calls for) can ruin the PT?

5. Trout

Trout Member

:agree

Exactly what he said,