• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Amp Garage forum malware warning from Google?

doc

Silver Supporting Member
I'm a member over there but don't go there all that frequently. I recently started getting interested in some Trainwreck related technical issues and started to head there, but when I look up the specific posts I'm after on Google and start to go there I get a warning from Google about malware and that its a dangerous site. Whats the deal?

71strat

Its been doing that for a month or so now. I don't know what to say. I just don't go there anymore. For Now.

wyatt

There are multiple ways a form site gets tagged. A couple...

A) Most commonly, a post links an image or file that is hosted on a known attack site, or the image/file is contaminated. The hassle is filtering through everything to find and remove the bad link. TAG isn't the only forum this has happened to. It's happened to the Music Electronics Forum and others, maybe even here

B) Sometimes a malicious, angry poster will go through the falsify a forum as an attack site.

I typically ignore the warning for sites I know, but I am more cautious on them.

Justin L

Google tells you exactly why it was flagged here: http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://ampgarage.com/&hl=en

What happened when Google visited this site?

Of the 253 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 214 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2015-07-21, and the last time suspicious content was found on this site was on 2015-06-23."

doc

Silver Supporting Member
Any way to make sure they know they have a problem so they can fix it? I'd really like to be able to safely use that site again - lots of good info and knowledgable people.

wyatt

Any way to make sure they know they have a problem so they can fix it? I'd really like to be able to safely use that site again - lots of good info and knowledgable people.
They are aware there is an issue, there is a thread about it on the forum. I have no idea what efforts they have made to remedy it.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
Another possibility - I recall reading an article not too long ago indicating that sites that accept third party advertising (does AG? I don't recall...haven't been there in a while for this very reason) are susceptible. What happens is that the advertising brokers aren't able to thoroughly vet the ads and some contain malware.

doc

Silver Supporting Member
So apparently some are continuing to use the site without any malware problems? Maybe I'll start going there just using my iPad (as my understanding is they're a bit less susceptible to malware). I've been doing some tuning of my 'Wreck clone and it is a major pain not to have that forum as a resource anymore.

CubanB

No problems here, just have completely ignored the warning. Haven't had a virus in over 10 years, so it's not like I'm reckless or anything.

Firewall in place, completely ignore the warning, no problems in the last few months.

amoodymule

Silver Supporting Member
With out derailing this thread, I am having problems with TGP hovering over pics and getting pop up adds and a big ad to the side, it is not happening on any other site I go to. Ads by Lasuperba ...anyone know who to report to or just where I can find out what to do, I've tried everything I can with my computer settings ect. It is only going on here...

rjguitars

Hey guys, I am a long time contributor to the TAG forum and have been past the malware warning hundreds of times with no ill effects... until today. I was hit with a blue screen advising me to call a specific phone number in order to remove the adware software that was put onto my computer. I shut it down and restarted and ran an antivirus scan it found no apparent problem. I have decent backups so I was not afraid to try again and was just now able to go directly to the site and no warning popped up... not sure whats up over there but still a bit weird.

RCCola

(|@ / \ @ |.)
Gold Supporting Member
Hey guys, I am a long time contributor to the TAG forum and have been past the malware warning hundreds of times with no ill effects... until today. I was hit with a blue screen advising me to call a specific phone number in order to remove the adware software that was put onto my computer. I shut it down and restarted and ran an antivirus scan it found no apparent problem. I have decent backups so I was not afraid to try again and was just now able to go directly to the site and no warning popped up... not sure whats up over there but still a bit weird.
Do run AdBlock? Might have been a Javascript window that just couldn't be closed through traditional means.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
No issues if I use IE. Chrome still gives me warnings....

Hulakatt

Gold Supporting Member
To those who are saying that there is no issue with other browsers, it is not the browser that has the problem, Chrome is just warning you and the others are not. IE (or Opera, Firefox, whatever...) is no less susceptible to virus's than Chrome or any other browser. The problem resides with the Amp Garage website regardless of what browser you choose to view it with.

Carl_Tone

To those who are saying that there is no issue with other browsers, it is not the browser that has the problem, Chrome is just warning you and the others are not. IE (or Opera, Firefox, whatever...) is no less susceptible to virus's than Chrome or any other browser. The problem resides with the Amp Garage website regardless of what browser you choose to view it with.
Correct!

"Mom always says don't stick my hand in light socket, so i just wait until she's gone..."

Trending Topics