Amp Grile/Tolex Color Choices

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by RyanFromQA, Dec 16, 2009.

1. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

The Short Story:
    I'm re-doing a speaker cabinet and building a head cabinet for a Li'l Dawg 5e3. Unfortunately my last resort has to be tweed. The cab is currently in black tolex, and I'd like to keep it that way. I'd like some opinions, here are the choices, with mockups:
    [​IMG]
    Aged Blackface Silver
    [​IMG]
    Egnater-Style Black and Tan
    [​IMG]
    Black Tolex w/Striped Oxblood Grille
    [​IMG]
    Blackface Wheat Grille
    [​IMG]
    :love::love: It's just so nice . . .

Long story:
    A long time ago I built this:
    [​IMG]
    I built it around a very nice-sounding SS amp, a Mosfet 100. It's a decent sounding amp, but some of the pots and other components are goin' bad, and it's not worth fixing. I've been through a couple small tube amps (Blackheart BH5H, SF Vibro Champ) that sit on top and plug into the speakers, and come around to the conclusion that a Tweed Deluxe is the amp for me. So after about 6 months of himming and hawing over which kit to build, or what to buy, my wife finally said I needed to buy an amp.

And when your wife tells you to buy gear . . . . :banana I'm ordering it when I get back from vacation in January.

So the plan is to gut the combo, and in place of the current chassis, put in an additional 10" speaker. This way, I can play through the 10" at home, and one or two of the 12's when I'm playing out. Where the current chassis peeks through the top of the amp, I'm going to put a recessed handle. I'm going to have to convert the front to all grille to accomodate the 3 speakers.

Now, this cabinet is a BEAST and I really don't want to hassle with stripping and recovering it, especially since i've never worked with Tweed before. But it's so tempting. So I'm gathering opinions. I tried to put in a poll but it hung up when I submitted. Might be my Google Chrome acting weird.

2. BBender

BBender Member

Big fan of the oxblood grill...but for that....not sure

3. RyanFromQA

RyanFromQA Member

I know, right? I'd like to do something neat and unique with the head cabinet but I haven't got any ideas. I mean like a hinged panel that swings away to change tubes, or a way to build
    in my attenuator.

It's too complicated to draw in sketchup but I'm also open to non traditional shapes.

Here's an idea, does black on grey amp tweed exist? Because that could make for an interesting aesthetic.