Amp & Guitar used on Late for the Sky ???

bjm007

Does anybody know what amp and guitar David Lindley used on Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky" ???

I always thought it was a cool organic tone. Sounds like a Strat and a Tweed, but I'm just guessing...

Any ideas?

riffmeister

I also have heard it was Dumble. But I don't know for certain.

Another GREAT sound is the slide guitar on JB's "Running On Empty".........love it!

hasserl

David had tremendous tone on that record!

I don't know about the amp, most people say he played thru Dumbles, I have also heard he used tweed Deluxe. But ithe guitar was no Strat, it was a lap slide. Don't know which brand or model, but he definately plays lap slide.

TeleTubby

Silver Supporting Member
I've always thought Mr. Lindley's most used amp from that period was an gator-tolexed '50s Deluxe, both on stage and in the studio. Of course, when recording, he could have probably used whatever he had available, but I have some pics from the '75 and '76-77 tours and it appears to be that old Deluxe miked up in the backline. Almost all the classic "David" parts are his lap steel, but he did play Teles on stage, also. He's a tone-master in my book, and saw him solo 7 months ago, and to no surprise, he still has it, no matter what instrument he picks on- the talent and tone is in the head and the fingers!

BTW, Late For The Sky is my favorite JB recording, by far- thanks for mentioning it, as it seems like not many folks listen to it anymore?

You always hear the tone is in the fingers but with Lindley I believe that statement is dead on. It seems on some tunes he is playing slide but on others like Late for the Sky he is playing regular. There are always alot of adjectives thrown around for tone. I would consider his tone on Late for the Sky to be "buttery".

Greggy

I've always thought Mr. Lindley's most used amp from that period was an gator-tolexed '50s Deluxe, both on stage and in the studio. Of course, when recording, he could have probably used whatever he had available, but I have some pics from the '75 and '76-77 tours and it appears to be that old Deluxe miked up in the backline. Almost all the classic "David" parts are his lap steel, but he did play Teles on stage, also. He's a tone-master in my book, and saw him solo 7 months ago, and to no surprise, he still has it, no matter what instrument he picks on- the talent and tone is in the head and the fingers!

BTW, Late For The Sky is my favorite JB recording, by far- thanks for mentioning it, as it seems like not many folks listen to it anymore?
"Honey let me introduce you, to my redneck friend"
I grew up listening to Late for the Sky, thanks in large part to my older brother who played it everyday. Great album/songwriting.

getbent

it was a deluxe that dumble modded. kind of ground zero. lindley played a lap steel and a telecaster.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
There is a video of a live performance from shortly after the album was released, and Lindley is playing a Telecaster. Like everyone else, I believe the amp is a Dumble.

Stevo57

From an old Fretboard Journal he talked about a tweed deluxe with a vox blue speaker and some small circuit changes in the volume/tone pots of the guitars. Probably the National lap steel on late for the sky. The Dumble and bakelite Rickenbacher came just prior to Running on Empty. He talked about HAD bringing him proto to a JB show at the Cow Palace for him to try out and him not wanting to give it back.

John Thigpen

Silver Supporting Member
There's a live video from Soundstage in 1976 on YouTube, and he' s playing a telecaster. I think it was a Dumble, but don't see it in the video.

Sorry I can't post a link at the moment.

kevin hart

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not sure what he used on Late for the Sky, but when he toured with JB again a few years ago he used a Glaswerks Zingaro. I believe he has sold his Dumbles.

Trending Topics