Amp guy with best customer service -- share your raves!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GEN DAWG, Jun 6, 2008.

1. GEN DAWG

GEN DAWG Silver Supporting Member

Maybe I've just been lucky, but I don't think so. Every small amp builder I've dealt with has been a great guy (no women so far, so I say "guy"). Some really, really stand out, though:

Dan Klein (Port City) -- talked with me I don't know how long about what I wanted in my sound, and he actually talked me out of buying one of his products. Stand up guy who knows his stuff. And boy is it good stuff.

Davd Gries (Gries Amplification) -- again, spends all the time with you that you want. He actually did some mods on my amp for FREE, and still hasn't billed me for shipping. Complete class act, and great amps.

But the winner in a walk-off grand slam is . . .

Michael Corrieri (Soultone Amps): not only did he tweak my amp several times FOR FREE because HE wasnt' happy with it, email me about 100 times, but. . . and here it comes . . . when he wasn't able to get a mod completed in time for a gig that I had, HE SENT ME HIS OWN MARSHALL 2061X TO USE!!! And he let me keep it until my amp was done. Are you KIDDING ME??:bow

Cheers! Let's hear your stories. Give 'em their props!

2. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

Nick Greer is the man! His cab builder had labeled a cab before it was tolexed and forgot to clean it before he glued on the tolex. Weeks after I got the cab the writing started to bleed through. I got ahold of my dealer and he contacted Nick. Nick had the cab redone and back to me, no charge and no questions asked. Also need to give major props to my dealer, Phatdaddy's who made the whole thing smooth.

Thanks guys!!

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I've had really good correspondence with Dave Gries and Ben Fargen about amps that I owned and had some questions/issues with and I was not the original owner. Dave offered to review/check out one of my amps for free which I thought was amazing and Ben has been really helpful as well.
    I have to give it up for Winfield Thomas. I bought a used Winnie head and had some really bad hum issues. He recommended switching V1,2,3 and he was right -- I took a shot in the dark by shooting him an email and I got a reply within about 20 minutes.
    Then, I bought a used Winfield combo off of ebay and he agreed to mod it for a VERY modest fee with a MV and sured up the amp. He turned this around in less than a week, even though he had many NEW builds happening at the same time from paying customers.
    THEN, I decided with the same amp I wanted to go for a head cab instead. He agreed to order me a head cab and swap the combo for free. THEN, I sent him a note explaining that I really wanted to try his Cyclone amp (I knew someone was returning a Cyclone combo) and I took a shot and asked Winnie if I could use the new head cab AND switch amps so I got the Cyclone and he kept the Winfield 18/30 with MV mod. Both amps use the same chassis. He said yes, no problem.
    THEN, he sent a note and said he felt more comfortable BUILDING ME A NEW Cyclone for the new head cab he just ordered!.
    So, I start out as the second owner of a used Winfield combo and I end up with a new Cyclone head in a trade (which is what I have really wanted all along).
    I'm a pain in the ass, aren't I?
    He is great... period.
    (This is a great thread and might be enough to sway people to consider buying from great builders/people right here in the USA vs. going for a slightly cheaper model built overseas by a large company. Being able to actually talk with the person who is going to build/mod/fix your amp means A LOT!!! That is my #1 reason for leaning towards booteek amps in almost every case)

4. Matt F

Matt F Member

Andy Fuchs was great. I had a Bandmaster mod a couple years ago. I was having some trouble with what I thought was a harsh overdrive and some grounding. I called him and he had me send back the chassis. He changed the output transformer, a couple of tubes, updated the circuit and shielding. All in the time frame of a week. All for the cost of what locally would be the cost of a few hours of bench time. Great service and backs his amps (new and old). Thanks again Andy!

Harry Straub is another helpful guy. I called him with an amp I recently acquired. There was a problem with the power section of the amp. He was very concerned and emailed me several times to offer assistance and try to help. I have to have the head "examined" but he was very willing to help the best he could. Thanks Harry!

Ben Faregn is another builder willing to spend some time talking to you about his amps and helped me "understand" powerscaling in the Miniplex MK2. Thanks Ben!

5. taildragger

taildragger Member

6. Cowboy

Cowboy Member

Jade Lowery, Twister Amps. www.twisteramps.com.

I feel like a shill for this guy, but I can't help it; he done me so right.

I bought a USED Twister off of E-Bay.

Jade heard about it, tracked me down, and offered to upgrade, warranty, and ship the amp for FREE, because he wanted to make sure that any amp out there met his latest standards. :D

Unbeliveable - remember-this was a USED amp!!! :bow

Cheers,
    Cowboy

7. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

+1 for Andy Fuchs...

ANDY IS THE MAN

Also the amp is so SOLID ...3 yrs no majors.

8. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

All these guys have been Great to deal with!!
    Randall Aiken
    Andy Fuchs
    John Suhr and the amp guys at Suhr
    Joe at Two Rock
    Mark Samson at Star amps
    Tim at Earcandy Cabs
    George Allesandro
    Valvetech Amps
    The folks at Hughes and Kettner
    Brian at Top Hat
    Steve Carr at Carr Amps
    Mark Bair at Victoria Amps
    Steve at Sonic Cord amps
    Maven Peal amps
    all wonderful people!!

9. Kojack19

Kojack19 Silver Supporting Member

+1 for Ben Fargen

10. bilbal

bilbal Member

I haven't had a lot of experience with too many but I can say without a doubt that Mike (Dr. Z) Zaite and Andy Fuchs are two guys that are a pleasure to speak with and make great amps. I have never had a problem with either of them or their amps and I have owned quite a few!!!!

Bill (bilbal)

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

From my ownership experience......

Andy Fuchs

Hogy and Mike over at Komet

Steve Carr

In no particular order. They have all been class acts, and have provided top notch service and support for me! To me, this is a large part of what the boutique experince is all about!

12. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Curt Emery, El Cerrito, Ca. The best in the west.
    Clay Hullett, Nashville, TN. The best east of the Rockies.

13. devilrob1979

devilrob1979 Member

I can second Tim at Earcandy. He called and discussed the specifics of my cab and when they forgot to include the cloth grillcover he overnighted it. He's a great guy. I hope to have the chance to deal with some of the boutique amp guys in the future but so far I haven't been able to afford to.

14. ecbluesman54

ecbluesman54 Member

Had a couple small questions, with no major issues but Jorg at Bogner was great, and responded quickly + Scott and Brandon at Budda are great as well.

15. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Pete Cage...without a doubt.

16. gsf

gsf Member

James Peters

I bought a used Jp10 from a great forumite who took the amp to James, who went through it, put in a new el34, and boxed it up like his new amps to ship. All for nothing more than his intense commitment to quality.

17. Copper_Head

Copper_Head Supporting Member

Patrick Flanagan at Krank Amps!!

18. reddog112

reddog112 Member

Jeff Bober with Budda is another for this list!

19. nolenuttt

nolenuttt Gold Supporting Member

I can't believe Greg Germino hasn't been mentioned-THE BEST in Customer service-

20. m3g

m3g Member

Gary Johnson (Glaswerks). First class all around. I also agree that Greg Germino, John Suhr, Ben Chafin (Chafin Custom), Joe Mlog from Two Rock, Andy Fuchs, and Mark (Pure 64) are outstanding as well.