Amp has no effects loop - gain>delay - what are my options?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by adamthemute, Dec 26, 2009.

1. adamthemute

adamthemute Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Happy Boxing Day.

So if you were using an amp with no effects loop, and you wanted to use the amp's gain, what options would I have to run time based effects after the amp's gain?

I did some looking, there's always the option to mod the amp. But, could the THD Hotplate do this? Running the effects in it's Line Out.

Thank ye.
  2. gtrnstuff

gtrnstuff Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Middle TN
    Line out is a decent source for the tone of your gained out amp. Delays etc can be fed from that. Still need another guitar amp(s) to bring your FX outputs into the room. Just be aware that the line out is full range, and has all the buzzy highs that a normal guitar speaker so nicely rounds off.
    Search W/D/W or wet/dry/wet rigs. Some folks mic their main amp, feed FX and use a small mixer and a stereo amp and full-range monitors for FX only.
    Or, get an amp with an FX loop if preamp distortion is all you need.
    Or run the amp clean and find some dirt pedals you like. There's a long search, IME.
  3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Staffordshire, UK.
    If you haven't already got/need a hotplate, then simple ways to implement the above are just to mic the speaker, feed that into your fx, then send the 100% wet signal to the PA/monitors.
    Or connect a direct box to amp's speaker output to get an isolated line level signal, feed that into the fx and send the wet signal a 2nd amp.