Amp Head- no speakers load problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mattthefiddler, Jul 15, 2008.

1. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

In a couple situations that I will play in, my sound guys are telling me I will likely need to use my Egnater 4100 head with no speakers (and just use the recording out/ speaker simp that is on the amp) This is not ideal. but it is this or a Pod. :/ Though suposidly the line out on the egnaters sounds good!

I know that I need a load and or speakers attached to the amp if it is on.

Sooooo...
    What are my options on creating a silent load for the amp? I would look at a 50 watt load or so... the ohms I can switch. I don't mind sodering something myself.. but I surly don't need to put the $300 hotplates/ speaker sims or other Pricy items on there, do I?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  2. justonwo

justonwo Member

3. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

Weber Load Dump or Minimass is exactly what the doctor ordered.....

4. D.G.

D.G. Member

Tell 'em to get stuffed!

Otherwise, the correct ohm Hot Plate will do exactly what you want, but the Weber would be a lot cheaper. If you really can't have an amp on stage, a Pod may actually be your best bet, and lot easier to carry around!

5. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

I have a GT-8 currently, and access to an X3... but really prefer to go the amp route. I really like the tones I am able to get out of this head I have coming though.

I am looking at the mass attenuators....

6. trey85stang

trey85stang Member

the pod or gt8 would be a better bet since you will have cab sims available... If you just slap the line out into the board off a hotplate type device.. its will still sound like crap. You will need a speaker simulator in the mix as well.

7. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

Well, my amp head has a line out that has a speaker sim built in. (Egnater 4100)

It is tapped after the power amp... so I don't need line out's on the loads. Just a load so I can turn the darn amp on and use the existing recording line out.

Though, I do have a boss GT-8. and I will likely use the 4 cable method, which involves using the effects loops on both so your tube amp is inserted in the loop of the GT8- and then the GT-8 sends it's signal to the power amp. I could always use it's speaker sims if I have problems.

I emailed Egnater about this, but will putting a resister load on the power amp affect the tone coming off of the Amps recording output?

8. bruce egnater

bruce egnater Member

You must have a load as you stated. Any load resistor between 4 and 16 ohms will work fine. I suggest you use a 100 watt minimum resistor but set the Power Grid to a lower setting. Be aware the resistor will get hot so be careful to mount it away from other surfaces. The resistor may cause the amp to have a little different response than an actual speaker but it really is not of any concern with what you are doing.