Amp (head) Suggestions - Any advice appreciated!

GibbyLP

I am in need of a new head, as the one I currently have is not capable of being reliable :( I currently have an Egnater Tweaker 40, which I honestly really do enjoy and like quite a bit, however after several warranty fixes, I continue to have power issues and it is not reliable enough to use out.

I have an avatar cab, with V30's, and want to stick with a tube head. I would like to stay near or under $1k, and am more concerned about the clean as many of my crunches/OD's are via pedals. The tweaker was nice because you could get so many different tones from a clean perspective to start from. If you have a head that you're in love with, please share and I will hit YouTube hard and get to the store to try it out!

I play classic rock, blues, and have recently started getting into country. Thanks for any and all input!

Also - I don't think I need some 100 watt monster, as the largest venue I'd be playing is a small to medium sized bar.

oldhousescott

Gold Supporting Member
The Ibanez TSA series would be a good choice. I use a TSA15 as a clean pedal platform and it sounds great. It's basically a single channel of Fender BF tone. I would think a TSA30 would give you plenty of oomph for bar/small club gigs. Very affordable too.

GibbyLP

The Ibanez TSA series would be a good choice. I use a TSA15 as a clean pedal platform and it sounds great. It's basically a single channel of Fender BF tone. I would think a TSA30 would give you plenty of oomph for bar/small club gigs. Very affordable too.
I didn't know anything like this existed... Very interesting!! I'll check it out, thanks.

jay42

A 30 to 50W Fender-ish amp might be good for you. Look at BF/SF Bassman heads. Is your cab 4, 8, or 16 ohms? The 50W Bassman wants to see 4 ohms, but I know a guy who's been using an 8 ohm cab for years now. Some Rivera models are good pedal platforms..are reliable and a lot newer than a 60's or 70's amp.

GibbyLP

A 30 to 50W Fender-ish amp might be good for you. Look at BF/SF Bassman heads. Is your cab 4, 8, or 16 ohms? The 50W Bassman wants to see 4 ohms, but I know a guy who's been using an 8 ohm cab for years now. Some Rivera models are good pedal platforms..are reliable and a lot newer than a 60's or 70's amp.
Are the Bassman heads actually Bass guitar heads? Could you possibly link me to the 50 watt model? I seem to have a hard time finding them, or maybe they aren't in production anymore?

garret

Bassman heads excel with a six string. The Bassman 10 is probably the best bass amp out of the line.

The originals have long since been out of production.

Great amps. Was playing through a friends AB165 Bassman this weekend with a strat. Great clean tone but it doesn't have reverb, a good pedal works very well. Same friend was playing his strat through his Vibrolux clone. Sounded great together.

Fenders have a really big warm presence. Throw on a little fuzz pedal...glorious.

Use to be fairly cheap and common to see on CL, not so much anymore at least in my area.

This coming from a humbucker and Marshall fan.

jay42

Good post garret. It sounds like the OP is not that familiar with those amps. Fender intended them to be bass amps, but they turned out to be a simply great amp for guitarists. Of the 35 to 50W Fender amps from the 60's, only the Super Reverb and the Bassman had larger output transformers. You'll see lots of recommendations to replace the OTs in Vibrolux Reverbs, Pro Reverbs, Bandmasters and Bandmaster Reverbs, etc, with larger aftermarket pieces, generally available with 2, 4, and 8 ohm taps or 4, 8, and 16 ohm taps, so you can wire it how you want.

71strat

Theres a nice 1965 Blackface Dual Showman for sale on Ebay for $950. Free Shipping and completely gone over.
Hard to beat for cleans and a Vintage amp. 85 Watts.

axpro

Dont know where you are located, but old Traynor Bassmasters are good choices as well, most are pretty close to the Marshall PLexi /Fender Bassman type vibe, but they run high voltage so you can't skimp on tubes unless you mod them. Here in Toronto they are usually plentiful in the $400-$600 range, but I know guys in the Northern USA that get them about the same prices, though far more rarely. Traynor also made a pretty unpopular amp, the YGL3A that is essentially an el34 powered fender twin... they did a head version too. It is heavy as heck and LOUD AS F*CK but it has reverb and vibrato if that is your thing. The 70's Traynor stuff, once you take care of any lingering issues (like with all older amp recomendations, change filter caps as needed, 3 prong cord etc) they are pretty much bulletproof if you use good tubes.