Amp head with XLR out into Powered PA speaker with no cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tomsy49, Mar 19, 2015.

1. tomsy49

tomsy49 Member

Can this be done? For example could i take the Randall Diavlo Rd1 head and use the speaker emulated XLR output and run that through my Alto TS112? I know that you shouldn't run a head without a speaker to take the load but with the XLR output it has a dummy load for silent operation so to my understanding it would work.

Has anyone tried this or something similar? I have a tech 21 RK5 that i play through the Alto and love it but its not exactly a high gain unit. Just wondering if i could expand and use a tube head for my heavier playing? Could run the RK into the effects loop of the diavlo as well to still use the delay etc.

2. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

3. tomsy49

tomsy49 Member

Do you lose much running it this way rather than through a cab? Would i be better just using a higher gain pedal into the sansamp portion of my RK5

4. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Sounded fine to me. Any time one changes speakers, there is a tone change, but no more so than changing guitar speaker cabs. I only tried it so I wouldn't have to carry a speaker to band practice (we have a PA there.) Also, it's been a while and I don't play this amp very often anymore.

Am I wrong in thinking you have both? If so, just try them.

5. tomsy49

tomsy49 Member

i don't have both was just considering a high gain alternative. Either a new pedal or a head.

6. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Since you're already using amp simulation, I'd go with one of Tech 21's other simulators to add to your rig. Quite a few 'flavors' to choose from. JMO

7. tomsy49

tomsy49 Member

I just wasn't sure if it was worth using one of those or if a standard pedal would be better. I didn't know if sans amp on top of sansamp would sound alright. I kow you can set the RK5 sans amp flat and its not supposed to affect much and you can still use reverb. I wish there was a way i cold run the gain from my trademark 10 into the flyrig. I can't think of a way that i can change from clean to dirty like that though unless i had an AB box but then the RK5 delay couldn't be used with the trademark gain.