amp help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarwill, Jul 29, 2008.

1. guitarwill

guitarwill Member

i've been trying to search for a new amplifyer. I've been playing a peavey 30 classic and am looking for something better. I really like the dumble two rock john mayerish tone. I'm playing a strat with some new hand wound pickups that where designed for the srv/john mayer type sound.

I've been thinking of going in a couple directions. I played out of a carr vincent and thought it was a great amp, i just dont know if i can justify paying 2500 for an amp though. I played out of a vibroking as well and liked it but still over 2 grand. I could try the super reverb route, but heres mainly what i want to know. Would i be better off going that direction. or

getting a hot rod deluxe and modding the hell out of it. Such as try to get one of ebay. Send it to get omega mod done. Then possibly upgrade the tubes(suggestions) and speakers(sugestions). keeping in the mind the tone i'm searching for.

thanks, any suggestions would help

2. xrist04

xrist04 Member

What's your working budget?

3. guitarwill

guitarwill Member

i don't really want to go over 1500 i cant justify anything more

4. Joe M

Joe M Member

Fender Supersonic

5. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

You could buy a Ceriatone Overtone Special pre-assembled chassis for about $1100 shipped, and stuff it in a Gabkit combo cabinet for about $300, total coming in at or slightly under your limit.

6. squeally dan

squeally dan Member

I Just scored a 197o super revreb off Ebay for $650. It seemed like compared to the other Fender amps on Ebay, their were a lot more of the SUpers. Someone on this board mentioned that this may be a good time to buy a super.

7. Velhos Novos

Velhos Novos Member

Hello!

I´ve finally found out the amplifier what I was looking for. The FENDER SUPERSONIC 112. I tried out a lot of amps - Marshall, Fender, Mesa, Peavey, etc... - before to buy the SS. Everything I wanted in a amp the Supersonic does:
    Clean sound - Great clean, even in low or high volume. Bassman is my favourite.
    Burn channel - From Stones to Metallica. If you have good ears You´ll get a perfect sound at all.
    Better than many Mesa - I can say this because I had three Mesa).
    Loop FX (Send/ Return) - All my life I looked for a great boost pedal and I found out it in this amp - It doesnt alter your sound, it simply rises your general volume (gain and volume). Many boost pedals alter only volume or gain (depend on its position on pedalboard).
    Reverb - Superb and Perfect. The best reverb I´ve ever heard.

I hope this help you.

8. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I had a Fender Blues Deluxe reissue. That had great tone -- much better than the Hot Rod Fenders which I think sound buzzy. Blues sounds at least as good as the Supersonic which I also had (I think this comparison is more a matter of taste that sound quality).

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

The Blues Deluxe reissue (or an original one) might work fine. Guitar Dave T playes through one and could provide some helpful hints regarding how to get the most out of it.

To those recommending a Supersonic, I'd add considering a Prosonic. Some who have played through both prefer the Prosonic and they can be had used for around $750.

I have two and they're one of my favorite grab and go Fender combos. Traditional Fender cleans, and the gain channel provides some great tones once you learn how to get them out of the amp...mild overdrive to full blown dual recto tones.

10. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I have previously owned a Fender Blues Deluxe. It had a great clean channel but not much else. I currently own a Fender Supersonic and the SS wipes the floor with the Blues Deluxe in every aspect. Better sound, more versatility, footswitch. Of course at nearly double the price of the Deluxe I guess you would expect it to be twice as good!!

11. shngn7

shngn7 Member

I think Hot Rods are fine. Certainly need a speaker and tube change but overall they are very good amps for the price. If you want to go around $1500, Super Reverb RI would certainly be my choice.

12. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

That's why I mentioned the Prosonic as well, but the Blues Deluxe has one feature that I liked. The effects loop send is after reverb and the return is before reverb, so you can still use the reverb if you just use it as a preamp or power amp/speaker.

For $400 it's quite utilitarian and provides a good platform for pedal based gain.