• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Amp-in-the-room with the Kemper? Hell yes (clip inside)

Jimmy_Rage

Playing through my EVM12L-equipped Thiele cabinet, it just seems that the sound is so present and full. Definitely an in-the-room sound, though a bit more high definition than a traditional amp.

That still comes across beautifully and hangs well with just about any 4x12 I can think of (given that it's a 200-watt speaker).

If I need a bigger cabinet, I can also hook up to an Orange 2x12 or an Emperor 4x12. But I like the Thiele-Kemper combo. It's lightweight enough that I can carry the cabinet, Kemper and guitar in one trip without the need for a cart.

Also, at 200 watts, the Thiele can handle more power than those bigger cabs! ;)

Comparing the sound to my studio monitors, I feel that FRFR seems to add a certain brittleness to the profiles given that it reproduces all frequencies. Or maybe brittleness is the wrong word: it just seems that reproduction of all the high frequencies seem to add a harshness to the tone.

Could this be resolved with a studio EQ? Perhaps, but I haven't had much luck.

A guitar speaker on the other hand only reproduces a certain range of frequencies before sharply dropping off in the high end and low end. The sound is remarkably warm and full-bodied.

It really makes me have high hopes for the Kemper Kabinet. I would really love to be able to see what a full-range guitar-oriented speaker would sound like, assuming it is more like a guitar speaker and less like an FRFR speaker with DSP.

The EVM12L is great, if only a bit more limiting in terms of profile differentiation since it adds its own colour. I can definitely say that I wouldn't mind sticking with it if the Kabinet turns out to be extremely expensive.

Edit: Adding video

Last edited:

Ejay

Evm12s are very special speakers..sound great!
I also keep a thiele loaded with one around.
I only use it at rare “rough conditions” as a 2nd 1x12.
Stand alone its a tad bass heavy to me...but maybe for heavy players that is a plus.
Also its very directional, at the time it was my only cab, i replaced the back with a three piece of which one could be taken off...which obviously defeats some of the strengths of the thiele cab...but got me an open back sound when I needed it.

Anyway...that cab and speaker can make a lot of noise for its size!!

Ejay

The "IR properties" thread has quite a few clips. Don't expect too much though. :p

I hear some pretty decent IRs in those clips, which alligns with my personal preference to mic cabs with a tad of ambient....but it still sounds miced to me. Fine for a recording...but still a different game then standing next to a cab imo.

rburkard

Double Platinum Member
Playing through my EVM12L-equipped Thiele cabinet, it just seems that the sound is so present and full. Definitely an in-the-room sound, though a bit more high definition than a traditional amp.

That still comes across beautifully and hangs well with just about any 4x12 I can think of (given that it's a 200-watt speaker).

If I need a bigger cabinet, I can also hook up to an Orange 2x12 or an Emperor 4x12. But I like the Thiele-Kemper combo. It's lightweight enough that I can carry the cabinet, Kemper and guitar in one trip without the need for a cart.

Comparing the sound to my studio monitors, I feel that FRFR seems to add a certain brittleness to the profiles given that it reproduces all frequencies. Or maybe brittleness is the wrong word: it just seems that reproduction of all the high frequencies seem to add a harshness to the tone.

A guitar speaker on the other hand only reproduces a certain range of frequencies before sharply dropping off in the high end and low end. The sound is remarkably warm and full-bodied.

It really makes me have high hopes for the Kemper Kabinet. I would really love to be able to see what a full-range guitar-oriented speaker would sound like, assuming it is more like a guitar speaker and less like an FRFR speaker with DSP.

The EVM12L is great, if only a bit more limiting in terms of profile differentiation since it adds its own colour. I can definitely say that I wouldn't mind sticking with it if the Kabinet turns out to be extremely expensive.
Yes, I like an EVM equipped 112 Thiele cab like a Mesa as well with a Kemper. What I even like more is a Matrix 112 Neolight cab. Big sounding with a little extra presence and featherlight. Tried everything with my Kemper and like this combo best. Using a Ritter amps brick ( like the camplifier) solid state stereo amp which is tiny and has big balls when needed. Amp in a room feeling on steroids, especially when using a stereo rig with two cabs.

jrjones

Silver Supporting Member
One of the guys I work with just got a powered kemper and we plugged it into a cheap jet city cab. It sounded awesome.

Jimmy_Rage

Yes, I like an EVM equipped 112 Thiele cab like a Mesa as well with a Kemper. What I even like more is a Matrix 112 Neolight cab. Big sounding with a little extra presence and featherlight. Tried everything with my Kemper and like this combo best. Using a Ritter amps brick ( like the camplifier) solid state stereo amp which is tiny and has big balls when needed. Amp in a room feeling on steroids, especially when using a stereo rig with two cabs.

Cool! I always liked the idea of stereo cabs with the Kemper. Had a chance to pick up a pair of Matrix CFR12s some time back, but didn't take the plunge.

I have a setup in my head, given that Kemper is coming out with their own cabs. Still working out the nitty gritty, assuming the Kabinets are not too expensive.

I have a Fryette Power Station that looks like it would fit into my rack space with the rack mounts (it's one of those 4 rack stroller types, I'm hoping there'll be enough clearance to fit the Fryette into the last slot if I remove the spacer panel). Worst case scenario, I'll have to pick up another rack.

Activate the stereo monitor effect. After that, use my powered Kemper into the Thiele, while sending the direct output to the Fryette. Use the Fryette to drive two of the Kemper cabs. Alternatively, get another Thiele cabinet and run the Kemper cab in the centre for a WDW setup.

I figure it'll sound huge! Unfortunately, not enough dosh to do it right now haha! Maybe someday.

Leonc

Wild Gear Herder
Platinum Supporting Member
IMO, the difficulty in getting the "amp in the room" vibe is not a function of the amp model sounding realistic, it is much more a function of the IR/speaker/cabinet end of the chain. IME, if you amplify any decent modeler through real guitar speakers and cabs, you'll be able to get the "amp in the room" vibe. But if you're using IRs through the typical sealed FRFR speaker system--that's when you have difficulty reproducing the amp in the room vibe. At least, that's been my experience.

OPENYOUREYES

:clips

gigsup

I don't follow Kemper Kabinet hype, but I would be shocked if it didn't use a horn/tweeter combination with the woofer.
Also, they need to cool the alliteration with the K's. We're not all looking for that Kemper Kabinet Krunch.

When you say "more like a guitar speaker" and you are using any single 12" woofer to reproduce your sound, guess what?
That is your guitar speaker.
You've just swapped one speaker for the another. Mesa 'Thiele', Jet City, Marshall stack, single 12" Jensen, whatever...
The new speaker/cabinet combination imposes its filter characteristics on the output signal from your amp.
Without it (a speaker) your amp doesn't make a sound... this should be obvious and be considered separate from the amp...

Ejay

Cool! I always liked the idea of stereo cabs with the Kemper. Had a chance to pick up a pair of Matrix CFR12s some time back, but didn't take the plunge.

I have a setup in my head, given that Kemper is coming out with their own cabs. Still working out the nitty gritty, assuming the Kabinets are not too expensive.

I have a Fryette Power Station that looks like it would fit into my rack space with the rack mounts (it's one of those 4 rack stroller types, I'm hoping there'll be enough clearance to fit the Fryette into the last slot if I remove the spacer panel). Worst case scenario, I'll have to pick up another rack.

Activate the stereo monitor effect. After that, use my powered Kemper into the Thiele, while sending the direct output to the Fryette. Use the Fryette to drive two of the Kemper cabs. Alternatively, get another Thiele cabinet and run the Kemper cab in the centre for a WDW setup.

I figure it'll sound huge! Unfortunately, not enough dosh to do it right now haha! Maybe someday.

Together with a powered Kemper...for a stereo rig..consider adding a combo and use the return.
Saves hauling poweramps..cables..and you always have a back up rig with ya.

buddaman71

Student of Life
Gold Supporting Member
my KPR into either of my cabinets sounds exactly like an amp in the room, because it is an amp in the room.

Jimmy_Rage

I don't follow Kemper Kabinet hype, but I would be shocked if it didn't use a horn/tweeter combination with the woofer.
Also, they need to cool the alliteration with the K's. We're not all looking for that Kemper Kabinet Krunch.

When you say "more like a guitar speaker" and you are using any single 12" woofer to reproduce your sound, guess what?
That is your guitar speaker.
You've just swapped one speaker for the another. Mesa 'Thiele', Jet City, Marshall stack, single 12" Jensen, whatever...
The new speaker/cabinet combination imposes its filter characteristics on the output signal from your amp.
Without it (a speaker) your amp doesn't make a sound... this should be obvious and be considered separate from the amp...

Not hyping this, but it's interesting that the Kemper cabinet is also capable of being in FRFR mode. I don't have details, but it seems kind of Line 6's Power Cab, which allows you to have a speaker imprint on a speaker using DSP.

The Kemper version seems to be identical in that respect, except the DSP calculations are done on the Kemper. It'd be interesting to see what they come up with.

gigsup

If you don't have to incorporate the DSP into the cab, you can use your budget on higher quality speakers and amplifiers.

Big commitment to the hardware, though.

If you don't have to incorporate the DSP into the cab, you can use your budget on higher quality speakers and amplifiers.

Big commitment to the hardware, though.
Right - and if you get some good powered monitors, they will work and sound good with any rig you end up using. So yeah, it may be a big commitment, but spending $$$ on a couple of good monitors is low-risk, because you will never get rid of them until they die of age, use, or physical destruction.

Jimmy_Rage

Well, I know a lot of people complain about the fact that the Kemper doesn't do AITR, but it really does sound good, imho.

Just shot a video demonstrating a clean, high gain and crunch tone with the the Kemper into an EVM12L.

Sounds as good as my real amps imho.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom