Amp Input vs. Effects Loop

Mainmark

I'm primarily a blues player, generally guitar straight into amp. I've recently begun to delve into the wonderful world of pedals, so please excuse my ignorance on the subject. I realize there are no hard and fast rules, but maybe some general guidelines. Do you folks most often hit the amp input with compression, overdrive/distortion, and run modulation effects in your amp's effects loop, if your amp is so equipped?

MoonshineMan

I run everything into the front of my amps, but if you have a loop, the time based stuff will usually sound better* there.

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
If you're pulling much dirt from your amp, time-based stuff will sound better in your loop. If your amp is totally clean, this stuff can go in front. (and by totally clean I mean Twin on 3 clean)

Tony-Cliffton

Silver Supporting Member
Yes. BUT, I also try different combinations just to see how things sound/react. I mostly play amps with no effect loop, and certain pedals work better than others going right into the input. This rig I'm building now has the most pedals I have ever used, as of now I'm running...les Paul special P90s)>>> keeley java boost (treble booster)>>>keely oxblood (OD)>>>keeley Monterey (fuzz + rotary/vib with the fuzz first in the chain)>>> digitech polara reverb. I haven't got it all dialed in but it sounds really nice so far. I'm going to add a buffer at some point and a clean boost maybe. And I'm not affiliated with keeley in any way, these pedals just work, and sound good for what I'm doing.
If your amp has a line out, you can run out of that to time based effects (reverb/delay) then to another amp set clean. Solid state works great for this. Or, if your amp doesn't have a line out you can use one of the many attenuators out there for your line out. You my have to pad the line out or put some kind of level adjustment on it to get things just right for pedals.

**edit to add**
Amp is a 63 silvertone 1482.

Oldschool59

Well, depends on the amp, on the pedals, on your preferences, etc. Myself, I run all drive effects (fuzz, distortion, OD, boost), a very clean delay, compressor, wah, env. filter, ring mod and pitch factor in front of the amp, and chorus, phaser, flanger, delay, tremolo and reverb in the loop. I love it this way. Keep in mind that some (digital) pedals generate noise (hiss) in front of a driven amp. Experiment. Have fun. There are no rules.

MoonshineMan

I'll add that I'm running everything, including time-based stuff into the front of a 2204. When I want a clean chorus sound, reverb or whatever, I roll back my guitar and clean up the amp. It doesn't have to be crystal clean, imo, but of course opinions vary.

guitarman3001

For me, compressor and dirt always go in front of the amp. Reverb, delay, etc... in the loop. Modulation depends. But I rarely use modulation nowadays anyway. Only modulation type effect I have on my board right now is an autowah and it is the very first pedal in my signal chain, so before the amp. I've actually never tried it in the FX loop though. This thread just gave me something to do when I'm bored and have some free time.

MoonshineMan

I'm a modulation junkie. I don't have a loop, but most of them can go in several paces, depending on what you want. The vibe should be out front, per normal reality, but phaser, Flanger, tremolo, chorus can do either, with chorus usually working better the further back it goes. I run my vibe, phaser and flanger out front of most everything (they're never on at the same time), followed by the trem (which sounds very cool with one of the first three going into it at different speeds), and chorus toward the back, just before delay and reverb. There's other stuff mixed in there, but that's the modulation stuff. but compressors can go several places, similar to boosts.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom