AMP Kits- Looking for a first time build

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by fuadramsey, Mar 3, 2008.

1. fuadramsey

fuadramsey Member

Does anyone have advice for my first amp build? I've been building pedals for a while now, and its time to try something a bit more difficult. I have seen all of the typical kits out there, but I'm not sure what to get. I'm looking for a classic Marshall sound with a decent amount of gain for rock music. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

2. Flux

Flux Member

You can't go too far wrong with an 18watt. Several flavours to choose from, not too pricey if you opt for a head version.

3. paulg

paulg Supporting Member

I' d say the Plexi 45 would be the one. Half of all amps are based on this circuit (actually, the Marshall's are based on the Fender Bassman). Half of all mods are for these circuits. If it's too loud there are ways to tame the beast.

4. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

5. fuadramsey

fuadramsey Member

I dont need much power at all. This is for my home studio, so its more just for sound enjoyment really. Maybe, some studio recording someday. I want a head and a 2x12 cab. I was thinking about the 18 WATT or the 45 Plexi. Does anyone know which of the kits would be better for a beginner? Do any have step by step directions? I'm very new to this and just trying to find the best kit for me.

Thanks.

6. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

I would suggest doing as much reading about tube amps as possible before you start. Tube amps can be deadly. So its not something to take light hearted. If you want to get into building musical accessories I would suggest starting with a few pedals then graduating to amps. Not saying its not possible to start with amps, but they can be deadly.

dk

7. fuadramsey

fuadramsey Member

Yes I hear they can be pretty dangerous. I have built a few pedals with really good results, so I wanted to try this out. Thanks.

8. EndOfSystem

EndOfSystem Senior Member

An 18 watt and 2x12's can be loud for home use. I'm running a Lil Dog 18 with 2 weber 1230's = LOUD. Good, but loud for the house. (I like it that way)

EOS

9. justonwo

justonwo Member

I'd got with a JTM45 or 50 Watt Plexi if I were you. I prefer the sound of these amps to that of the 18 Watt. All the plexi-era amps are pretty straightforward, especially considering how much room you generally have to work with.

10. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

The 18W can get pretty squishy when you drive it hard. At lower volumes, they can be made to sound Plexi-ish, but they loosen up as you increase the volume.

I would say build a Plexi on a 6V6 power plant if you want the punch and kick of a Marshall.

11. 5E3

5E3 Member

You may want to consider a Gilmore Jr. from Guytronix. It's a very nice complete kit with Mercury Magnetics transformers. Rich Guy provides excellent support. The documentation is good. It can be built as 1/2, 2, or 8 watts, which can still be very loud through a 1x12.