Amp Kits - Weber

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by skeeterbuck, Feb 14, 2008.

1. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

I'm looking into getting one of the Weber amp kits.

Anyone here have any experience building it one?

The kit I'm considering is the 6V30 which is a clone of the Vox AC30, but am looking for input from anyone who may have built any of Ted's kits.

2. nasonm

nasonm Supporting Member

I haven't built one myself, but I've read in many posts here that you're advised to upgrade the kit to better switches & pots, and maybe some other key components.

But I've also read that the kits as-is are fine, so I guess this response isn't helping any!

3. Roe

Roe Member

I'm also concidering the 6v30.
    I'm going for a mercury OT

4. justonwo

justonwo Member

I've built three of their kits. If you have no prior experience building amps, you are signing up for a pretty complicated first amp with the AC30.

Their kits are generally pretty good quality for the money. The required upgrades, I think, are the pots, jacks, lamp, and switches but those are all low-cost upgrades. The cabinets aren't stellar, but they're decent. At times, the layouts and/or schematics can have mistakes. You may also have to make a component change here or there to get the amp to work properly.

I have sold two of their 5E3x2 amps to gigging musicians (one of which was the guitar player for Camper van Beethoven), and they are both very happy with them.

Personally, I have moved away from their kits into the higher quality realm. If I'm going to spend the many hours it typically takes to make an amp, I don't want to compromise on any parts.

5. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

This will be my 4th amp build. I have built an Allen Accomplice, Clark Tweed Bandmaster (Tyger), and a Mission Tweed Deluxe. Also, I plan on building a head unit and am going to use a different cabinet.

Justonwo, what was your impression as to quality and tone of the transformers?

6. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

I like the kits, good starting point for someone learning to build. You may want to do some upgrades as some have said earlier...especially the switches. I know he has carling type switches now that are real nice, not sure if these go in the kits though.

As for the trannies- pretty good for the price. I really like the the power transformers. Good for experimenting....i'm just finishing a new creation using their 4k bandmaster type OT because I had it lying around- and it sounds really good...not super tight in the lows but the original bandmaster trannies weren't either. The final version of the amp will have a larger sized upgrade, probably a heyboer or mercury.

I'm itching to try his huge single ended 25 watt OT, the wse25.

7. justonwo

justonwo Member

Oh, okay, good. That's more than enough experience for the AC30. The transformers? I really liked the tone coming out of the two Double Deluxes I built. Great bottom end, broke up pretty easily, could get a little mushy at high volume but that's the Deluxe for you.

With the Halle I built, I kinda wish the amp held together a little better, but I have no idea how much of that comes from the OT. Could just be that I'm used to playing 100 Watt amps, and this one only has two 6L6s. Really hard to say, I guess.

As I said before, though, I really don't think you can go wrong by upgrading components along the way. Upgraded transformers would probably be a good investment. Another upgrade I really like is to use a turret board instead of Ted's fiberboard. You can get a pre-made board here:

http://www.turretboards.com/

or just get the supplies and build your own. It's really not very hard at all.
    They're easier to work with, look nicer, and are probably more durable in the long run. Here's the inside of the Halle I built. You can see the Turret board I got from turretboards.com. I had to do some drilling to poke the wire leads through, but the turrets came pre-installed.

[​IMG]

I will say the one thing I really dislike the most about the Weber kits is the cabinets. My first 5E3x2 kit cabinet, which was ordered in the early days of Weber kits, came direct from Mojo. It was stellar. Then Ted started using another builder and the quality went downhill. The last two I received from them looked amateurish and cheesy. Passable, but not great.

8. ronin32

ronin32 Member

Not trying to hijack but, what would be a good first timer kit?

9. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Justonwo,

Thanks for the pic. Your build looks very nice. I too take my time and get the the wiring neat. For now I plan on using the stock iron, caps and resistors. Later, I can swap them out if I'm not happy.

Instead of the eyelet boards that Ted supplies, I'll use tag strips that look similiar to the ones Vox originally used in the '60's.

Thanks guys for all you help! :AOK Chuck

10. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Check out Dave Allen kits. Also Bruce at Mission amps has a great Tweed deluxe clone.

Another great kit is the GDS 18 watt Marshall clone. This kit is rather expensive, but comes with almost foolproof instructions and high quality parts. No need to upgrade.

HTH Chuck

11. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

Depends if you want to upgrade transformers or not.. if you do, byt th etime you have done so, you probably should have just gone for a high end kit. I turned my 6m45p into a standard plexi kit using the resources and metro amps. The 6m45p is a horribly laid out amp.. way too tight with the standup filter board. So just be ready to get crafty to make it work... helps to have a bit of experience, even bad experiences! ( i couldn't get mine to work forever.. but she works now and sounds pretty damn good)

12. wingnut1

wingnut1 Member

Hi Justin, did you use the LHR or HHR OT in your Halle build? Did you add a PAB?

13. Roe

Roe Member

I've build 4 amps earlier: a jtm50, a jmp50, a TW express and a comet 60.

14. justonwo

justonwo Member

High head room transformer. I like a big, responsive sound that doesn't mush out, so the idea of a low head room OT didn't appeal to me.

I didn't add a PAB, though that would be a cool option. I can probably get approximately the same effect using a pedal or boost of some sort. As you can see, real estate is extremely limited inside that chassis.

15. Kitarist

Kitarist Supporting Member

weber kits are ok but not extreme