Amp kits? Whats all out there and whats the best?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by StrykeBack, Feb 1, 2005.

1. StrykeBack

StrykeBack Guest

I've done some searches over the net and only found a fewand the i'l stumble across some kits here via the forum that i had never found.

What are some of the best kits out their for the money?

I'd like to build a low wattage champ kit or possibly some kinda take on the fender deluxe reverb. Looking to just build the head. what do you guys think? is it worth building or cheaper to buy? I want to do it partly for the fun of it and I'd like to get into this kinda thing. But also I don't want to spend 1500 dollars on one of the new deluxe reverbs.

2. Greggy

Greggy Member

I'm gonna buy an Allen Accomplice kit soon. Head version or combo, not sure yet. Runs in the $850 to $1100 range, depending on head or combo. A deluxe reverb style amp. His Class Act kit is first rate, as is his reputation. But have no experience with other kit makers. Good luck in your search.

3. StrykeBack

StrykeBack Guest

damn...kinda pricey...might as well just buy the deluxe reverb :)

4. Greggy

Greggy Member

Why? If it's tone you're looking for, many believe the Accomplice beats the DR. If it's resale that concerns you, you may have a point. Either way, you have the pleasure of knowing you soldered every joint, tightened every screw, etc. I prefer to build my own.

5. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

Id check out webers kits. As soon as there JTM 45 is ready it will likely be my 1st kit.

6. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

If you're looking to save money, you probably shouldn't consider building a kit. If you enjoy the process of building an amp, then go with a kit, because it is fun, and there is a certain satisfaction in playing something you built.