Amp less setup question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by edgarallan, Oct 6, 2019.

1. edgarallan

edgarallan Member

Sunday morning question for pedalboard experts: Is it possible to have a completely amp less setup where you have maybe two amps in a box (Fender clean and BE-OD)? What pedal would work great for the Fender clean? What about the power section that would go to the board or audio interface? Do I need a cab sim to complete the “amp”?

I welcome all suggestions/experiences!

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Line 6 HX Stomp.

xcc likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Member

Look into the Joyo American Sound pedal. It's based on the Tech 21 Blonde pedal.
    You can use it like a regular pedal or to 'go direct'. $30 or less to experiment with one.

Not sure about these, I haven't watched them through so can't say if they would help or not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XfLz5cLpAc

HeavyCream likes this.
  4. Junta

Junta Member

blackba and HipUncle like this.
  5. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

Yes, quite possible. Lots of confusion about amp emulators designed to work in place of an amp, and amp in a box pedals designed to make an amp sound like something else. In order to run direct and sound like an amp, you need 1) a properly voiced preamp pedal and 2) speaker emulation.

I’ve been happy with the Ethos Clean II (have two of them) as a Fender sounding base tone with built in speaker emulation, and Tech 21 does some great stuff as well. These pedals are great ways to run direct without getting overly elaborate, having unique power requirements, or costing you an arm and a leg.

They can also sound quite good into the front of a tube amp, so you get more than one use out of them. Look at Pete and Mike’s Ethos Clean II demos on YouTube and you’ll see how well this pedal can work in both applications.

6. HipUncle

HipUncle Gold Supporting Member

I was also going to suggest the RevivalDrive. I have the silicon side set up for a Twin-like clean, the right for max Marshall crunch and ghost notes. My speaker emulator is Neunaber Iconoclast. It took a while to dial them all in, but I am in tone nirvana right now. Transport and setup are much easier, and when I record, I just take a tap off the board. So I can do an overdub weeks after the fact and the tone matches.

7. xcc

xcc Member

This would be the easiest and simplest way for sure.

8. HeavyCream

HeavyCream Member

If you are going to use something separate for IRs, there are better pedals than the Tech 21/Joyo American for BF cleans. Wampler Black ‘65 is one example. If you want an AIAB with cab sim, those pedals will do nicely.