Amp-like dirt boxes

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by johnny5, Feb 23, 2009.

1. johnny5

johnny5 Supporting Member

What are some of your favorite Amp-Like dirt pedals? What I mean by amp-like is essentially feel. Something that will clean up with picking attack, is not too compressed, fairly neutral tone. Anything ranging from overdrive to distortion to fuzz, or even a little of them all.

A couple I have run across lately are;
    - Skreddy Screwdriver - very unique tone with excellent feel. works amazingly well in front of either a clean or overdriven amp.

- Greer Ghetto stomp - Very cool box that is like it claims, tweedy. I am not the biggest fan of the tweed sound but this pedal is alot of fun. very touch sensitive and sharp on the edges in a good way.

- Catalinbread Teaser Stallion - Mostly the straight drive channel here. very impressive feel and tone out of this one. big and woolly bordering on fuzz and distortion.

Looking for more, any others?

2. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

3. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

What you're describing (which I don't like to call amp-like, but organic) was the Lovepedal COT50 (the handwired one-knob version), in my case.

4. eknapier

eknapier Member

Himmelstrutz Fetto
    Paul Cochrane Timmy
    Penny Pedals Fingerprint

All extremely different, all extremely amp-like

5. zygoat

zygoat Member

Menatones
    Openhaus

6. alguit

alguit Member

If you're talking about pedals that sound good into a clean-sounding amp, pedals which work to recreate the body of an amp's od tone, I like many of the suggestions already made and also advocate for the Blackstone Mosfet, meant to work in a clean amp as well as the HAO Rustdriver if you're looking for a "vintage Marshall on the verge of blowing up" tone-it is the ONLY OD pedal that sounds killer in the clean channel of my Carr Slant 6V-all the others sound too "transistor-ish".

7. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I was wondering when someone would mention the Blackstone!

8. Wheeler004

Wheeler004 Member

I really like the Timmy or the Klon for this.

9. dap9

dap9 Member

I have the OCD. Haven't played the other ones mentioned, though I've breadboarded the Red Llama circuit which is similar to the Rust Driver. But I feel I can only speak on the OCD so I will. As has been documented, it's a great pedal. I have V3 and love it. I play a Mesa Tremoverb and sometimes use the OCD as a 3rd channel. I'll set the Mesa up for clean and dirty, and use the OCD for subtle grit. Yesterday I noticed how similar I could get the amp and the OCD to sound w/ a little tweaking. PRetty cool.

10. gpro34

gpro34 Member

Without mentioned some of the common favorites here I like the Precision Overdrive. I have found this to be one of the most dynamic touch sensitive overdrives around.

11. flickerbot

flickerbot Member

Mad Professor LGW
    Hot Cake

12. mrmax

mrmax Member

Bad Cat's 2-Tone & Xtreme Tone pedals :drool:drool:drool

13. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

Barber Small Fry.

Voiced to sound like a Dumble...can pretty much get it to sound like most Fender amps. Can get anything from a nice clean boost to a full on distortion. Cleans up like a charm - probably the best on my board right now.

14. leodiditright

leodiditright Supporting Member

Oceanefx Pearl Drive
    Wampler Super Ecstasy