Amp-like tone you say??(BJF/MP content)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Sid, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid Member

My friend recently lent me his Honey Bee and I lent him my Dyna red to play around for a week....the first 3 days were pretty disappointing...the honey bee seemed to lack any liveliness,then I realized that it might just be that my settings were wrong....so this is what I did:

I turned the gain all the way down on my Gries 5(it was at 3-4 earlier),
    turned the volume way up.....

put my compressor before the Bee (very very good compressor, more like an eq....doesnt reduce dynamics but reduces spikes in eq).....

wow....getting some nice rhythm sounds....crunchy as hell....

Then I added the Landy clean boost after it.....thickened up the sound a fair bit.....playing around with the controls some more...I fell in love with the honey bee......

So I ended up trading the Bee for the Dyna......I still needed a marshall distortion pedal in my arsenal.....so I went out and bought the MP Mighty Red.....

MP MRD vs BJF DRD:

I have to say....I like the 'sound' of this pedal much more than the Dyna...probably cos I prefer the 80s sound to the 70s....However I noticed a few things about the Mighty Red, the mids are less focussed and more muddy as compared to the Dyna, its also Darker than the Dyna....so for open chords the mighty red sound is something I prefer....even lead work....but the minute I start palm-muting ala whitesnake...the beauty seemed to be lost(maybe cos of the darkness and the mids)....

so I stuck the honey bee right after it......I turned the prescence on the mighty red pretty high...and turned the nature of the honey bee to around 11 o clock.....KILLER TONE !!!!!....
    try any gain setting...any at all.....its just a killer tone......reminds me a little of Warren Haynes live kinda tone....turn the gain down and play with single coils....possibly the best single coil tone I have gotten......oh and did I mention....

IT IS WITHOUT DOUBT THE CLOSEST THING TO AMP-LIKE TONE I HAVE EVER EXPERIENCED WITH PEDALS....
    The dynamics I am getting stacking a compressor -> TWO gain pedals->clean boost is unreal!!!

I am in tone heaven

cheers

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  2. Joses

Joses Member

Congrats. I've got a Mighty Red too, lovin' it all the way! In fact I A/B'd i for about a month with a mate's Dyna Red...and at the end of that month, I sent the Dyna back to my friend! :AOK

3. smogfalls

smogfalls Member

Sounds killer. You got any clips?

4. Craise

Craise Member

Welcome Aboard sir!! The Amp like dynamics and stackabily of the BJFs is the reason I fell in love with and mainly only use BJFs for my dirt... (also killer amp like tone!)

I use mine almost like a analog pod! My base sound is Vintage Blackface Fenders and then use the BJFs like preamps to give me Marshall (Dyna Red or LGW) Vox (EGDM) Tweedy (HB) and HiWatt (model H) Tones!

BJFs are the only pedals I found that would allow me to do this...
    Enjoy!
    :dude

5. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

I was recently bitten by the BJF bug and now own a HB and PGC. Great great pedals. I think if I was to grab a couple of pedals off my board for a small jam it would be both of the BJFs+a delay. I did have a MP LGW for about a month that I really wasn't impressed with. I am a guy who likes a Tubescreamer so I think the "TS for people who don't like TS's" wasn't a great sound for me anyway. I'd like to add a Candy Apple Fuzz sometime as well. Bjorn makes a great pedal.

6. Craise

Craise Member

Howdy! were you able to play the LGW at gig levels? I also found when I first started playing my LGW that it sounds pretty good at lower volumes...but at gig levels it really came alive...and now it is my "if I could only use one pedal..grab and go" Melts with my blackface fenders...Not as great with tweedy amps...
    Stacks like lost brothers with HB...
    :AOK

7. hurleysurf

hurleysurf Member

Never gave it the chance to pair up with the HB unfortunately. I did get to turn it up pretty loud with a band for a bit, and while it was good, I just seemed to like what my TS808 reissue did better. The LGW had too much gain for my tastes.

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

You really need to try the LGW with a little compression in front of it if you're a fan of Tubescreamers. It is pretty uncompressed on its own. Add a little compression and the pedal changes pretty dramatically. I always run mine with my Pine Green Compressor set low. I think you'll find the tone more familiar and to your liking. The cool thing is, you don't have to have the compression in there, like with a traditional TS pedal.

9. Sid

Sid Member

Hey im listed for Gries too!!!:AOK

MRD->Gries (killer tone)

10. Sid

Sid Member

You've been right about this all the while Craise....the BJF stacks are unbelievable....stand alone the pedals are just high quality...but not jaw dropping...stack some bjf pedals(you actually get more options in terms of tone and dynamics surprisingly, the other way around than most pedals ive tried)...

I believe you're quite right about the gig level volume as well...the BJFs sound great when you really turn up the amp....i think they are built to compliment the power stage of any amp....the thickness of the BJFs seems a bit muddy/fake when the amps are turned down very low...turn it up and its beautiful...it IS amp-tone.....

I still havent liked the LGW tho...I didnt like the eternity either....simply cos I was NOT looking for an extra dynamic pedal(i have enoughof those)..the zendrive works well for me

zendrive into Honey Bee....orgasm!!!!try it with single coils...i dare you ....

11. Sid

Sid Member

every half hour that i get after work i record part of a song im writing...i will put up the song once its done....right now im using purely BJF dirt on it:AOK

12. Craise

Craise Member

cool! :dude
    But I do think they sound great alone also...it's just the way you set them and what amp you are using, what tones you are going for ect...
    You have to have the right tools for the job you are doing or tones you are going for...good thing about MP and BJFs is there are tons of different tools (tones) to choose from.
    I mostly use mine through a 64 blackface Princeton reverb and I use just the honey bee alone and it sounds killer...
    like Stones or black crowes..70's rock....Kick in any other dirt for leads and I'm there...
    Also many times I'll crank the gain on the Model H or EGDM and just roll back on the vol for different shades...roll up for leads.
    Sadly BJFs are rare and expensive pedals...so it's hard to try them all and find what works best for you.
    Good thing they hold their value so you can trade till you find what you like..just as you did! ;-)
    Also good is the Mad Professor line which are a little less expensive and still sound and feel great.
    I was lucky to get on the first BJF tour box(donner is da man!) and got to try 8 or 9 pedals for a week or so through my rig!
    Problem was...I loved them all!
    Anyways...enjoy! also Timmy and HB stack together great too!
    :AOK

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  13. Joses

Joses Member

Amen! :dude

14. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

THAT chain sounds the same as your amp cranked up with no pedals?

15. Joses

Joses Member

I find that Timmy stacks well with pretty much everything! :AOK

16. Sid

Sid Member

you mean in terms of dynamics?? no ofcourse not:)....the dynamic scape changes as soon as you introduce gain....in terms of perceived volume...clipping....and the combined effect of these.....can i still get the same change between soft to hard..YES...in that sense of the word...its the same...so i guess the answer to your question is yes......if you really want to go insane dynamics...i would remove the MRD from the chain...the other 3...are about as dynamic as things could get...mayb introduce the screwdriver into the mix:dude

17. Sid

Sid Member

i know what u mean craise...i did not mean the pedals were not good standalone...i just mean that the palette of choices i get is more through a stack..which does not happen when i stack other pedals....i tend to get this common character throughout...(except the screwdriver)....the BJF just stand out more through stacking....i found that the most attractive factor:)....

I tried to get a BJF earlier...I had pm'd bjorn about htis custom pedal i wanted...i was willing to pay what it takes...but i guess he was busy and overlooked my pm...since then i didnt really try any of them....just my stupid anger:D but that was a long time ago:D...now im in love with the pedals all over again....

18. Seegs

Seegs Member

I agree the BJFs really stack well to create some interesting tones but for me a pedal has to sound good and give me all the tonal shadings I need on its own and this is where I had trouble...I don't want to have to use another pedal to make a pedal sound good...it should be a choice to add an additional flavor or not...

in the end the HB was too dark and flabby in the low end in my setup and the upper mids of the DR were too brutal and couldn't be dialled out...

in my setup the LGW was too dark and centered too much in the low mids...put the PGC in front and its lights out...fwiw I think the LGW and the PGC are an amazing pedal combo but who can afford an $800 tubescreamer...

I love my PGC with single coils and the nice thing about it is that I don't have to use it but when I do it always brings something positive to the table...not so thrilled with it with hums though...

Chow,
    Seegs

19. Craise

Craise Member

nah! I hear ya broski! :)
    Pedals, gear and the road to da golden tone is a long one!
    I've found so many factors that go into it and sometimes people forget
    about how their pickups/speakers/Humbuckers vs SC ect really affect the end tone...
    People buy and sell pedals left and right trying to find the golden tone...when sometimes they are playing the wrong speaker/pickups or even amp for the tone they are going for..but still endlessly buy pedals trying to find a tone...when they really need to spend their money on better amps/pickups/speakers.... blah blah!
    But you are absolutely right on the stacking and blending of BJF/mp pedals...
    they are made that way and there is something to playing all the same brand dirt... BJ designs them to play and react together..when you play all different brands...I found that "sometimes" they don't jive with each other...and even tho they sound great alone switching back and forth between them something can be off...ymmv...ect.
    Anywho! Enjoy! :banana

20. Sid

Sid Member

Any amp you find works beter with certain BJF pedals?

I find the palette of colours I get with an HSS and stacking BJFs is incredible....