Amp like tremolo pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Matts Tone, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

I'm wanting to purchase another tremolo pedal after being without one for a while & have been missing that sound!!!

I'm looking for that more "amp" like tremolo to the "effects" style tremolo.

The 2 tremolo pedals I'm particularly interested in are: Moollon tremolo & Fulltone Supa-trem.

The main reason for this thread is that I've done a search on this forum & haven't found many comments on the Moollon tremolo whether they be good or bad!!

I am not looking for a multi-functional tremolo as I've tried the empress tremolo & although good it is what I would say more of an "effect" rather than a "amp" like tremolo.

What I call "amp" like tremolo's are Demeter Tremulator & Swamp Thang which I have played & liked but are not quite as versatile as I want.

The 2 kinda tremolo sounds I'm after is that traditional black face tremolo (like the Demeter) BUT with that fast square choppiness also. This is what I am lead to believe the Fulltone & Moollon have!!

What I read of the Moollon from their website is: "The Moollon Tremolo focuses on the natural tremolo sound of vintage tube amplifiers.
    The Bias circuit on Moollon Tremolo is quite different from those existing Opto-coupler circuits which make an unnatural discorded frequency range between the guitar and tremolo signals.
    Depth, Slope, and Speed controls bring ease of use and wide range effect.
    In particular, the Slope control lets you mix hard and soft slopes gradually, not just switch between them.
    "

I actually saw a video on youtube (The one where the guy tests 4 Moollon effects:Octave fuzz,OD,Dist,Trem) & the tremolo certainly sounded impressive!!

I thought about the Guyatone VT-X BUT I don't really want another wall wart pedal & have read of reliability issues with this pedal.

So if any of you guys have tried the Fulltone Supa-trem or the Moollon tremolo I'd aprreciate your views on them :AOK

2. mprvise

mprvise Member

If you like the Swamp Thang but are looking for more versatility I highly recommend checking out the Frantone Vibutron. I own both, and both are great trems, but the Vibutron ended my search and has been on the board since the day I got it.

3. DerekEstrada

DerekEstrada Member

Fulltone Supa Trem ...perfect trem (similar to the Swamp Thang) and you can control the knobs with your feet....

4. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

frantone vibutron
    empress tremolo (great regular trem and very innovative features)

you should really try those two (or at least one) before you buy, i think..

5. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Yeah thanks I've actually tried both the Vibutron & Empress but found that I preferred the tone of the Demeter & Swamp Thang!!

As I say I'm not looking for a huge versatile pedal like say the Cusack tremolo just one that can do that Black face tremolo tone plus a choppiness tone & that's basically all I need. That's why I mentioned about the Fulltone & Moollon as that is what they are both supposed to do!!

thanks

Matt

6. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Always liked the Supa Trem sound, might still get one. In the meantime, really loving the Catalinbread Semaphore, excellent and versatile trem. The other one I'm most curious about is the Frantone unit.

7. starfish

starfish Member

I'm quite surprised at how close my Cusack TAW matches my original 1965 BFDR vibrato channel trem. Set the Cusack TAW for sine wave.

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Then I can't help, cause the Vibutron has been glued to my board since I got it. I much prefer it to everything else I've tried.:)

9. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Yeah I thought about the Cusack TAW BUT am looking for something simpler that does a few things but very very well!!

I'm still split down the middle between the Moollon tremolo & Fulltone Supa-Trem. All magazine reviews I've read on the Moollon tremolo have giving it full marks on sound & the only drawback is the price for a Korean made pedal!! I mean out of all the tremolo pedals I've looked at its the most expensive of all of them!!

All magazine reviews I've read have also liked the Fulltone Supa-trem & having done a search on this forum again it seems to me the majority of people seem to like it BUT a few have said it's a "sterile" sounding trem & not warm!! BUT due to the amount of people that have tried the Fulltone it's not surprising that some people don't like it as I guess we all have our own tonal pallet.

Fulltone pedals seems to have come down in price well at least in the UK which is cool BUT I don't know that Moollon tremolo certainly sounds cool!!! Aargh decisions decisions!!!

10. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

well, my P&L chart told me you should go for the Supa

11. LL1

LL1 Member

I would strongly consider the MP Mellow Yellow Trem as an option,,,,small, simple, sine wave and yes sounds like sweet amp trem.

12. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

Don't discount the Boss TR-2. Just sayin'...

13. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

. . . or the Dano Tuna melt, for that matter. Excellent and very DRRIish. . . needs a tbp loop though.. . ..

14. eric-d

eric-d Member

I've owned a pre-03 Supa-Trem since 2000. I really like it but I am upgrading soon to the ToneCzar Powerglide. Just waiting on the call from Ed.

15. playon

playon Supporting Member

16. Seegs

Seegs Member

for not a lot of money the keeley modded TR-2 is just a cool sounding very useful sounding trem. pedal...

I sold mine after getting on the Toneczar Powerglide list in 2005...after a HD crash and being given the choice of waiting for the newer model or accepting the first version I am still without a trem...

in retrospect I wish I had the Keeley back...

Chow,
    Seegs

17. CryBaby

CryBaby Member

+1 on the Dano.
    Soft and sweet.

18. Matts Tone

Matts Tone Member

Well I have in the end gone with the Fulltone Supa-trem & I should have the pedal by the end of the week, I can't wait!! :D

19. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Supporting Member

Matt-
    how did you do with yr choice?
    I'm on the hunt for a new trem.......

20. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

I believe Fuchs has a new one out as well. and you might also try a Sugar Baby.

My fave is still the swamp thing.

For the record I did see Sean Costello (RIP) use the Supa Trem with his Kendrick Blues Special (2x10 tweed) and his P90 Gold Top Les Paul and it sounded excellent and very amp like.