amp>load>DAW-anyone doing?

G

Gerry

Hi, before I get DAW software (likely Digi002/Protools LE for a PC with 1 gig ram - desktop), I'm trying to optimize the tone ahead of time - don't want anything remotely cheesy/artificial burning to a CD -
thinking of my effects/amps (old nonmaster volumes, no effects loops) - into say a Groove tubes speaker emulator, into the interface.
I'll of course try micing, but my living quarters/hours/ etc necessitate recording silently for the most part.

Anyone doing this, or other suggestions? thanks very much - Gerry
 

MichaelK

Member
Messages
6,476
IMO there is no substitute for simply getting good tone coming out of a speaker cab and miking it properly. My hours are also somewhat restricted by people sleeping, but if I can wait and do it right I prefer to do that.

If you can get decent tone using an outboard speaker simulator, then recording that output to a DAW should be no problem.

If you want to do amp / speaker simulation inside the DAW, I'm very partial to Amplitube. It really seems to have tube distortion nailed better than any other plug or digital hardware I've heard.
 

Unburst

Member
Messages
4,215
For a hardware solution I'd say a THD Hotplate into an ADA MicroCab II would work pretty well.

As far as software goes I like Guitar Rig for both it's amp and speaker sims.

There are a bunch of clips on the soundclips page by Ed. D using this kind of setup.
 
Messages
112
I use a number of peices, all to different effect; Palmer PGA-04, Groove tubes Speaker Emulator II and a Behringer GI100.

The Palmer and GT both have a load, the Behringer does not. I seem to be using the GT the most. The manual says it was designed for the 'vintage amp player', but I play high gain metal and it works great. It's all in the EQ, I think.
 

Greggy

Senior Member
Messages
13,439
Like Michael, I prefer a mic. But the Palmer PGA04 is pretty good with clean to medium overdrive tones. I don't like it as much with higher gain material. But others may have figured out how to succeed with hi gain. The Palmer has an 8ohm load box that works well. To be honest, I use it on less than 1% of my tracks. Would rather mic a cab anyday. But if you don't have a choice in the matter, the Palmer is worth looking into. The GT box sounds interesting, would like to hear clips of that if anyone has some.
 

Orren

Member
Messages
1,142
Originally posted by Gerry
Hi, before I get DAW software (likely Digi002/Protools LE for a PC with 1 gig ram - desktop), I'm trying to optimize the tone ahead of time - don't want anything remotely cheesy/artificial burning to a CD -
thinking of my effects/amps (old nonmaster volumes, no effects loops) - into say a Groove tubes speaker emulator, into the interface.
I'll of course try micing, but my living quarters/hours/ etc necessitate recording silently for the most part.

Anyone doing this, or other suggestions? thanks very much - Gerry
When I don't want to mic my cab, what I do is I take the speaker out from my amp into a THD Hot Plate. This serves both as load, and as a post-power amp line out. I then take the line out directly into my DAW (I use Logic mostly) and monitor through Native Instruments Guitar Rig. I've set up a preset that is NOTHING but speaker simulators--and their speaker sims are excellent. Since Guitar Rig allows you to mix and match any modules you want, I actually have a full on "speaker rig" set up in GR of multiple cabinets that do an excellent job of capturing the full range of a 4x12.

It definitely works, it doesn't sound artificial, and its a great alternative to mic'ing up your cabinet. There will always be something more exciting and immediate about having the wind from a duo or quartet of 12" speakers making your pants flap while you jam your heart away, but sonically, Guitar Rig's speaker simulators after a real amp is a winner.

Orren
 
G

Gerry

Originally posted by Orren
When I don't want to mic my cab, what I do is I take the speaker out from my amp into a THD Hot Plate. This serves both as load, and as a post-power amp line out. I then take the line out directly into my DAW (I use Logic mostly) and monitor through Native Instruments Guitar Rig. ....


Thanks...but you still need to connect the Hot Plate to a speaker, don't you? I imagine between attenuation and mechanical things (ie, like placing the speaker face down on the floor), the volume level thru the speaker could be quite low if it's late night, etc...?
 

Orren

Member
Messages
1,142
Originally posted by Gerry
Thanks...but you still need to connect the Hot Plate to a speaker, don't you? I imagine between attenuation and mechanical things (ie, like placing the speaker face down on the floor), the volume level thru the speaker could be quite low if it's late night, etc...?
Nope. The Hot Plate has a setting called "Load" in which case it does not need to be connected to a speaker. You monitor your guitar sound through your audio monitors connected to your DAW.

Orren
 

Ed DeGenaro

Silver Supporting Member
Messages
23,633
I got a Palmer 04 in my rack that saved my butt many times when th engineer sucked.
That said compared to the options that are out there...forget it.
Orren turned me on to this years ago, it started with just the cab sim in Guitar Rig, processed with cloned impulses of my recording set-up in Q-Clone, and ended up with using impulses period. Easiest for this is probably Revalver.
 

dorfmeister

Member
Messages
3,712
I got a Palmer 04 in my rack that saved my butt many times when th engineer sucked.
That said compared to the options that are out there...forget it.
Orren turned me on to this years ago, it started with just the cab sim in Guitar Rig, processed with cloned impulses of my recording set-up in Q-Clone, and ended up with using impulses period. Easiest for this is probably Revalver.
So you aren't using the amp to line out w/load at all?

You are using Revalver for amp modelling and cab/speaker/microphone modelling?
 

clothwiring

Member
Messages
6,820
Currently....

Roland > Great River > 888/24

I haven't spent much time with the tone because I'm just writing stuff, but between the Roland and the Matchless I should be fine.
 

elambo

Member
Messages
2,364
A bump for a 4 year-old thread, posted by a guest? This thing has been covered to death.

My suggestion is a Palmer PDI-03. They've re-released it, and it's exactly like the original, so you don't need to get the 04 anymore which was a step in reverse. Before the re-release, the classic 03s were selling for $2,000. I was actually inches from buying one when I heard about the reissue. I'd have really kicked myself had I made that mistake.
 

wichita

Member
Messages
8,215
There are some clips on you tube of me at home with a Hen Bev guitar and a 3 Monkeys amp into a Sequis Motherload straight to Pro tools.
It was pretty cool
No speakers at all
 




Trending Topics

Top