Amp "looks" - I admit I may be shallow...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by openbar, Mar 16, 2008.

1. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

But there are some "boutique" amps making the rounds these days, they just look terrible. And I won't consider buying them because of that. Appear like they are cobbled together from generic parts, and the aesthetics are the LAST thing the company thinks about. I'm not gonna name names, but some great sounding and solidly built amps look worse than 80's Peavey stuff.

On the other hand, some brands look great! And I can't help thinking that we listen, at least on some part, with our eyes, and these guys are succeeding because of that. I don't want this to sound like 100% rant, in a way I'd like to help the not-so-good looking amps.

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

The Marshall head look seems to be the most repeated design. Looks great, still, for Marshall, and is an easy build, but overused.

Mesa gets top points here for consistent elegance.

All other things equal, I'll buy looks that I prefer, but my boutique puchases are nil.

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

no doubt. if it's important for guitars, why not amps? i reward good design in all products as often as possible with my purchasing choices.

my latest purchase is super sexy as well as meeting my technical needs. we were made for each other.

[​IMG]

4. guitarpkr67

guitarpkr67 Supporting Member

I can't really think of any popular boutique amps that look terrible. Maybe I'm not thinking hard enough. Which ones are you referring to?

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

of the top of my head Fuchs and Two Rock look pretty bleh. if not super ugly, then at very least rather dull and uninspired. they look like they were designed by Craftsman.

edit:
    i take that back. Craftsman uses a little color once in a while. ;)

6. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

c'mon, what looks nicer than this??

[​IMG]

7. Trout

Trout Member

Hey, thats the same grill cloth that was on my grandmothers Magnavox console stereo. Magna-vox? :D

Sorry I had to, cool amp!

8. Two-Octave

Two-Octave Member

Purchasing or not purchasing guitar amplifiers based upon looks? Wow. That seems petty and shallow.

9. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I believe the great designers/craftsmen that have it all together create things that are beautiful on every level. Form should always follow function, and when properly executed, the result will always be esthetically pleasing. I would never own an amp I considered ugly, but that ugliness usually betrays a lack care in the design and manufacture. Offhand, I can't name a respected high end amp I would consider "ugly", but I could name a whole pile of cheap ones I would not want to touch. Yes, sound/function is #1 consideration, but I look at the entire package.

Shawn.

10. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

This thread won't get really interesting until you name names. Then we can politely debate the looks of those specific amps. As it stands, I don't really know what you're talking about.

11. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

this?

[​IMG]

i am absolutely a shallow person and love nice looking amps and don't care one bit for black tolex.

i mean, seriously...
    how can U not fall in love w/ an amp that looks like this...

[​IMG]

12. guitback

guitback Member

I was looking for a fawn AC-30 pic.... you beat me to it. The Standel is just SICK! It looks so campy and pro at the same time!

13. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

i have a fawn tolex head and cab in a trolly. i wish i could post pix of that because it looks like sex.

the standel is campy and pro and also very cushy to sit on while U play. that's not my amp, but i have the same colour combo.

somebody posted a lovely pic of a 65 amps london in orange and creme last year. that amp was spectacular looking. scrumptious like a creamsicle.
    somebody please tell me that they can re-post that pic so i can finally have my resolve die and i can break down and demand one from 65amps. great sounding amp, too.

i love the look of the new 'electro king' from victoria.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gotta love that faux alligator.
    neo classic.

14. Echo Are

Echo Are Member

I don't know of any boutique amps that look ugly, just a few that look...wacky, and not too rugged. Example: Vero amps. They look unique, but rather fragile and precious. I mean, IMHO you'd definitely want an expensive amp to be covered in tolex or some tough material to withstand the rigors of gigging and being moved around.

15. xroads

xroads Member

I couldn't care less what an amp looks like. It sits somewhere behind me on stage in the dark. The lights are on me, anyway.

16. Wesman61

Wesman61 Supporting Member

Sorry but these two just don't float My boat for looks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. µ¿ z3®ø™

µ¿ z3®ø™ Member

and yet the swart SST looks so frickin' cool...

[​IMG]

18. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

It's a valid point and each of us determines what is acceptible to us. I mean, if you are up on stage at a gig, your amp is in a way representing you...I mean it is there, and while some may not care at all, I have always loved the look of some amps, and disliked some (from the 70s on, have always HATED Kustom with the padded, pleated, 60's sofa look. My buddy had one, and the amp sounded as bad as it looked, back then anyway).

Same thing with guitars, they make a statement whether you care or not, and luckily I love all classic guitars looks (strat, Es335, LP, Tele) and most amps, but I agree...some look so boring, or dull...

The thing is the big amp manufacturers, they have a whole department probably of artistic design people who decided a look for their amps. The boutique builder...often can be a real bare-bones, functionality over form, unartistic amp guy. He may even try to make it look good, but smarts in electronics often doesn't equate with aesthetic sense in art.

I would buy and use a boring, even ugly amp, if it gave me THE sound...but it would have to be really fantastic. I care a little about the looks...because when I use an amp as main amp, I like to have something that looks right to me too...

On the other hand, some amps get soo "chic" looking they would be embarrasing to use. Not crazy about amps that use bulbs/LEDS for some blue glow, or change light with amount of gain..etc.

But then I couldn't stand the BOss RT-20 with the little light show either, and others love it so there is enough room for all styles I guess.

19. FFTT

FFTT Member

Well you asked...... :)

[​IMG]

20. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I think the AC30 is nicest looking amp ever designed..IMHO.
    They sound pretty good too!