Amp "modeling" pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Feb 19, 2015.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Trying not to derail another thread, but wondering if folks can explain how they use/under what circumstances they use amp "modeling" pedals such as the Tech 21 Character series or the Joyo pedals?

Are you use them with an amp to achieve another amp's flavor (ex: using a Vox-style with a Fender amp)? Is it redundant to use a Fender-style pedal with a Fender-style amp? Using them direct to board without an amp?

Just wonderin'!

2. fusion_21

fusion_21 Member

I will be using the FlyRig5 Direct to FOH because of our silent stage policy. Currently using an 11R to FOH.

3. meowmers

meowmers Member

Yeah I use my DLS mk III for the flavour and the powerful eq it has.

However some things can't change with a Fender, eg. flubby bass.

That's hard to get rid of but it's fine because I get to enjoy my Fender Cleans and Marshall Crunch on the same amp.

4. minty901

minty901 Member

Direct to a single Yamaha HS8 studio monitor. Literally 1/4" TS cable out of the character and into the back of the HS8. For home playing. If I'm out jamming with a friend I will take my cheap Stagg acoustic amp with me. instead of the HS8.

5. Onemileguy

Onemileguy Member

I use my Joyo American sound and California sound, running into my vox night train. I bought the American after wanting more EQ control and a bit of a fatter dirt sound, granted I run the American sound as if it is a slight pushed amp with my normal dirt pedals before it. I liked it enough to buy the California sound the next day. The California does act more like a Mesa amp in my opinion (I owned a nomad 45 for twelve years), it's a more more compressed and "bassier?" Sound than the American... Yeah is more noisy but all high gain amps are noisiey. I will stack overdrives with that one as well...

I also use these pedals to record direct into my computer and could run it into a FOH if I needed too... I am happy with the tone for what it is, the EQ is really useful and can help make you dirt pedals sound better and more whole.

6. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I run AMT Preamps direct into the power section of an AC-30 to get Vox, Orange, Cornford and 5150 tones. Running these into the power section of a tube gives me the best results.

Like this quick demo I made to help someone else, but started me off on this path for my own uses (jump to 1:50 for sound demo):

7. rsm

rsm Member

I used my Tech21 Liverpool direct to FRFR, usually with a JangleBox and Liquid Blues in front, with a Glass Nexus after. I also used it in the insert loop of my G-System for awhile...

I also had the British for awhile but sold it.

Never used the Character pedals in front of an amp.

I still have all-of-the above (not the British), but now I use digital modelers direct to FRFR. Currently using a TC Helicon VoiceLive 3, and waiting for the release of the Line6 Firehawk specs and manual...