"Amp on a board" pedalboard build

sah5150

I started working on a new pedalboard, mainly to use with a new preamp pedal I'm bringing to market - both to demo it at shows and to use it myself for recording/playing at home. Since my preamp is still in development, I'm using my KSR Ceres as a placeholder and I laid out the board so it will fit my preamp, which will be substantially larger. I wanted two simultaneous signal paths:

1.) through a C.A.B. M cab simulator that could be sent via XLR to FOH, a recording system of a FRFR cab like the Atomic CLR
2.) through the Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 to a guitar cab.

Here is where i started, although I ended up adding more pedals and re-arranging things as the project went on:

I wanted the board as clean as possible and I have basically 4 connections to this board:

1.) Guitar input
2.) AC power (PowerCon)
3.) XLR output from the Two Notes Torpedo C.A.B. M
4.) Speaker output from Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170

So I wanted all of these connections from the side of the board and not coming directly from the pedals and I for sure didn't want to have a second AC power cable from the PowerStage 170 (luckily, the Pedal Power Mondo I chose for my power supply has a courtesy AC power inlet). To do this, I was going to have to make my own XLR, speaker and power cables because a pre-made cable would not fit through the small holes in the Temple board. I got a male XLR panel connector, a TS panel connector, and a rewireable IEC power plug. I then built the cables/connectors right through the board. I simply cut the ends off a speaker cable, an XLR cable and a 360 degree rotatable right angle AC power plug and built the other ends of the cables as required. I also added a TS panel connector with a TS plug on the input side for the guitar input. I've tested all of this with some patch cables and all the inputs and outputs work great!

Here are some pics of the top of the board on the output side when I wired these connections:

Here is the output side. left to right: PowerCon connector, XLR out from the C.A.B.M, Speaker out from the PowerStage 170. The panel spacer was needed to fit everything underneath the board:

Here is the bottom of the output side of the board. You can see the power connections, speaker connection and the XLR connection. Pretty clean!

Here is the input side of the board to show the guitar input TS panel connector:

Next, I had to wire the pedal to pedal audio connections and the DC power connections to the Mondo. I'm made all my own cables for these connections to keep everything super clean. This is what I chose to wire with:

First, all the audio wiring was completed and tested and I added a couple more pedals. I will say that the Evidence Audio SIS is a ROYAL pain in the ass - I never got the hang of making those cables and I can do GeorgeL's in my sleep. Each cable I had to redo a couple of times to get them working. Really happy that I had a multimeter on hand! However, I will say that the Evidence Audio cable is much nicer and easier to control on the board than GeorgeL, so In the long run I'm glad I used it...

All finished and sounding great! - both direct into my DAW from the C.A.B. M and into a 4x12 - Now it's just a matter of tweaking some presets for the H9 and getting the cabs straightened out on the C.A.B. M:

Steve

sah5150

Looks great! How are you liking the Constellation?
I really like it a lot - so many different fuzz/treble boost options in one pedal. I will say that I didn't understand how the RangeMaster setting worked - you have to use it with an amp that is already breaking up (not really a fuzz pre se). I thought that mode wasn't working, but it was user error.

Steve

Bogner

Gotcha! I am not normally a fuzz pedal user but that pedal has me curious and what I have heard from it sounds fantastic. The other goodies it does is icing and awesome to have in one box.

sah5150

Gotcha! I am not normally a fuzz pedal user but that pedal has me curious and what I have heard from it sounds fantastic. The other goodies it does is icing and awesome to have in one box.
For sure - check out the video Pete Thorn did. One of the cool things is how you can use Fuzz to get that awesome strat clean sound by just rolling down the guitar volume. He demonstrates it in his Constellation video and it sounds amazing!

Steve

TAHopton

@sah5150 i love this setup. I’m using a Victory V40 Countess Preamp and wanting to do an amp on board type deal for stage and recording. How do you have the Cab M and the PowerStage connected at the same time? Or do you just use Cab M for FOH and recording and then PowerStage for when you want to use a cab?

sah5150

@sah5150 i love this setup. I’m using a Victory V40 Countess Preamp and wanting to do an amp on board type deal for stage and recording. How do you have the Cab M and the PowerStage connected at the same time? Or do you just use Cab M for FOH and recording and then PowerStage for when you want to use a cab?
@TAHopton, the C.A.B. M and the PowerStage can be run at the same time in my setup. I have the output of the H9 (the final pedal in the audio chain) connected to the C.A.B. M, which has an output that comes directly off the input. I connect that output to the PowerStage. Since that output has no C.A.B. M processing, it is like directly connecting the H9 to the PowerStage as well. Now I can run a cab off the PowerStage and go to FOH (or a recording interface) from the C.A.B. M at the same time.

Steve

Phil M

Supporting Member
@TAHopton, the C.A.B. M and the PowerStage can be run at the same time in my setup. I have the output of the H9 (the final pedal in the audio chain) connected to the C.A.B. M, which has an output that comes directly off the input. I connect that output to the PowerStage. Since that output has no C.A.B. M processing, it is like directly connecting the H9 to the PowerStage as well. Now I can run a cab off the PowerStage and go to FOH (or a recording interface) from the C.A.B. M at the same time.

Steve
I know this is an older thread but I’m wondering how this ended up sounding live. Did you get a chance to use the Ceres, H9, CabM and Power Stage together at a show?

sah5150

I know this is an older thread but I’m wondering how this ended up sounding live. Did you get a chance to use the Ceres, H9, CabM and Power Stage together at a show?
Phil - I don't actually play live anymore and I actually just built this board to show off my own preamp pedal which I'm working on. The Ceres is just a placeholder for now. I expect to be demoing all this with my preamp pedal replacing the Ceres, a 4x12 and my Atomic CLR at the LA Amp Show in October...

Steve