Amp or Cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by beavisguitar99, Feb 17, 2012.

1. beavisguitar99

beavisguitar99 Member

So I've been playing with a modeler through a solid state for years. One thing I've always noticed is that when cranking my solid state (Ibanez tone blaster 100 watt stack) over drums the clarity tends to get really bad at high volumes. The low end takes over and it almost sounds like I'm playing with pillows over my cab. I'd like to note at sub drum volume everything sounds perfect.

So I recently purchased a used Bugera V55HD head as I figured the head solid state head was causing this problem. I played the V55HD head all week. I'm playing only with a boost pedal and I have tone I love around volume 4-5, just sub drum level volume. As soon as I turn up to 5-6 to go over drums I'm hit with the same sound my solid state made....it's actually even worse.

My only thought now is that I'm using the same Ibanez cab for all of this, perhaps the cab is to blame? One other option is I have the tube head set to triode as it reduces the volume a bit, perhaps going pentode would fix this but I'm away from my jam room so I can't try it.

TL;DR: So my question, can a cab alone cause guitar tone, and feel to suck at higher volumes?

2. EightySix

EightySix Member

Hell yes. Skinny wiring inside the cab, loose speaker mount screws (dont over-tighten), shoddy cab construction, or just crappy speakers. It all adds up.

3. Onioner

Onioner Member

The cab and speaker has a great deal to do with how a rig sounds, and feels. Sounds like you need at least a new speaker, if not a new cab. Don't underestimate the importance of getting the right speaker pairing. After all, it is the thing that's actually producing the sound...

4. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

A new speaker/cab could help, but it sounds like you could be running out of headroom. Even with a high wattage tube amp, the sound changes greatly between low volume and high volume. EQ usually needs to be adjusted for higher volume, sometimes the settings need to be changed a lot even.

5. beavisguitar99

beavisguitar99 Member

So here is the thing. I went down to the jam room this morning and spent about an hour playing by myself with the amp cranked similar to last night I didn't run into the same problem. I adjusted the amp from triode to pentode and that made it much louder, but even with out doing this not once did the tone get all muffled. I'm starting to think it's my ears!