• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Amp Power Cable

Sambooby123

Does it matter what kind of power cable you use for a guitar amp?

I lost the original cable and I think I'm using a computer power cable right now. I have a Vox AC50CP and it has just been retubed and biased. It sounds extremely shrill with my '62 Strat with the volume turned just a quarter of the way up, all tone controls at 12 oclock. If it's not the power cable then something is seriously wrong with this amp.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Does it matter what kind of power cable you use for a guitar amp?

I lost the original cable and I think I'm using a computer power cable right now. I have a Vox AC50CP and it has just been retubed and biased. It sounds extremely shrill with my '62 Strat with the volume turned just a quarter of the way up, all tone controls at 12 oclock. If it's not the power cable then something is seriously wrong with this amp.
Any Universal power cable will work. The power cable isn't going to make the amp sound extremely shrill. It couldn't. Sounds like something is seriously wrong with the amp.

BudLite

Silver Supporting Member
Use a 14 gauge power cord, not the 18 gauge universal junk. I bought some on ebay of various lengths, for around 9 - 10 bucks each. Scott Lerner recommended this and I beleive it is good advice and affordable, I have also replaced the 18 gauge cords to my powered PA speakers as well.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Use a 14 gauge power cord, not the 18 gauge universal junk. I bought some on ebay of various lengths, for around 9 - 10 bucks each. Scott Lerner recommended this and I beleive it is good advice and affordable, I have also replaced the 18 gauge cords to my powered PA speakers as well.
A guitar amp doesn't draw that much current. 18 gauge would be fine. Universal refers to the connector, not the gauge, and has nothing to do with the weird sounds the OP is experiencing.

BudLite

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer the 14 g myself, I agree the op's amp should work fine w/ the 18 g cable. If my amp was sounding bad I would not suspect the power cord anyway.
Sorry for the misuse of universal, l will just call it 18 gauge cheepo cable.

scottl

Guys, I am not going to get into any double blind pissing match, but junky loose fitting 18ga power cables can and do negatively effect the tone and feel of larger amps (in particular). Get an inexpensive IEC cable with quality terminations and you just may notice a difference. All for 10-20 bucks.

Although, the OPs problem seems to be something else. The cables only can add so much.

Dave_C

Guys, I am not going to get into any double blind pissing match, but junky loose fitting 18ga power cables can and do negatively effect the tone and feel of larger amps (in particular). Get an inexpensive IEC cable with quality terminations and you just may notice a difference. All for 10-20 bucks.

Although, the OPs problem seems to be something else. The cables only can add so much.
:agree

Sambooby123

Thanks for the replies. I'll one of those cords you guys suggested.

What factors can cause an amp to have very shrill tone like I originally stated? Like I said I just had it professionally retubed and biased. I'm sorry I have not got much experience with tube amps.

Edit: Could it be the type of speakers? It has 2 off VOX/Wharfedale GSH1230 8 ohm loudspeakers wired in series for a total of 16 Ohm load.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
If it wasn't sounding like that before the retube and rebias, take it back. Too low bias voltage can make an amp sound really harsh. I guarantee you it isn't the power cord.

LSchefman

It isn't the power cord. Really.

This problem can be fixed by stuffing cotton in your ears and putting a blanket over the amp. Then you can say, "this amp sounds like I put cotton in my ears and covered the amp with a blanket."

MrTAteMyBalls

yeah if the amp was fine before any changes....then whatever changes were made are the culprit. take it back to whoever did your re-tube.

Trending Topics