Amp powers on - no sound - until I hit it! Then dies slowly after - help!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by RoseCologne, Sep 11, 2019 at 5:02 PM.

1. RoseCologne

RoseCologne Member

Hi,

I have a 1965 Kalamazoo Reverb 12 that has served me very well for last few years without issue. I recently took it to a gig in the backseat of a cab and when I get it home it turned on but no sound. I leaned the amp forward and the sound returned - lean back it dies! If I hit the amp the sound returns momentarily with first reverb dying then the normal sound... The sound is as loud and clear as it should be if I repeated hit it to stay on. I realize 99% something is either loose or a solder joint is cracked.

I have swapped the power tubes out so this is not the issue
    I have also connected a speaker cab to it and no sound unless smacked; exact same as above.

Before I bring it to a tech I wanted to run this by the forum in case I could find the problem myself. Is there a place that I should be looking specifically that would allow this to happen? No wires or anything look loose to my eye.

apprentice it,

Brian

2. tenchijin2

tenchijin2 Supporting Member

Sounds like a problem with your Fonzie capacitor. Maybe your technique isn't right. It's all in the wrist.

3. HotBluePlates

HotBluePlates Member

Every tube is tightly gripped by its socket?

If none of the tubes are loose in their sockets (implying poor contact to the pins, perhaps the heater pins), then there is some loose connection inside. That would make it "Tech Time."

gldtp99 likes this.
  4. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

Take it to a tech, if one is available. Too many factors that could describe
    the problems you are having. No time for guessing games. :cool:

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

This.....

6. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

Could it be a bad or loose preamp tube?

7. RoseCologne

RoseCologne Member

Thanks everyone - I swapped all pre and power tubes its gotta be something loose or joint that is reconnecting when I rattle the amp.

To the tech she shall go...

jthomas666, gldtp99 and HotBluePlates like this.