• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Amp Preserver?

DucRyder

Platinum Supporting Member
what do you guys think of
this device? think it might be worth while for vintage amps?

Last edited:

908SSP

I use a variac for all my old amps and it does make a difference. I recently read some threads by Guitarpicker where he describes this transformer that feeds back into the incoming voltage and in effect lowers the voltage to 110. The nice thing is the parts are cheap and the unit light wieght. He built this into his amp so it wasn't something extra he had to carry around. I bet that is what is in that amp preserver saver box. If you do some seacrhing I bet you could find the threads and they explain everything.

jdandry

I have one of these amp preservers, anyone want it...$100. It's pretty cool, I was using it to brown down a older Marshall but don't have the Marshall anymore.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
Couldn't you just use a voltage regulator?

dukeh62

Silver Supporting Member
Bumping this one again. Anyone else have experiences with the Amp Preserver?

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
I looked at the instructions... thought about building one and then wondered if I had the experience to think through it correctly the first time. Pics of a finished working unit would help and probably push me to make one. Otherwise I am more likely to avoid the risk and buy one.

Csgband

I have one, I really like it. In New York city we can get up to 125-130. this is easy to use, light and small. My vintage amps are happy.
Chris

There's a way you can use 3-4 bridge rectifies in series to drop 120-110.
Doesn't get any cheaper than this, and it lasts forever. A varic works too.

JKjr

A friend whose opinions I trust has one but is in another town and I've yet to see it. He has retired his variac. The Amp Preserver has a large voltmeter built in, has two settings(I believe -6v and -12v) and is lightweight but built like a tank. As the builder makes them to order he had his made with a 5 or 6 outlet strip built in and powers everything through it. HE SAYS that having the proper voltage makes a huge difference in the background noise and dynamics with some of his amps (vintage AC30 and Fenders especially) and is not noticeable with others. This guy has puppydog ears and doesn't buy into snakeoil, but again I have no personal experience.

Trending Topics