• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Amp price hikes, holy smokes

Yeah it sucks. But the prices of everything have gone up. Sucks for me as I need an amp/cab and it has been hard to find anything within my budget for either.
Right? I wanted an Engl, that isn't happening now, so maybe a Mesa......nope. An Orange? Not at those prices.
So I'm back to looking at DSL's and such for now.

blackmonday

Silver Supporting Member
There is something about price hikes that I don't understand and it pertains to the used market.

Lets say you bought a MIM strat before they came out with the Player series. Those were around 500-ish new.
The player series is around 700 new.

So, why is your MIM non player series worth more now because the price of the new, different model more?

The same can be applied to Gibson. Its bonkers. I remember in 2015 I could buy a used MIM strat for 300 or less.
Price is determined by the market supply and demand, not the original price of the guitar. People want it and are willing to pay for it.

twisty571

Silver Supporting Member
The used market has gone insane. These are local prices:
Mesa Single Recto now $1000, Dual now $1500.

What a joke.
That Mesa has been in the $1000-$1400 range for a while now. I picked a nice V2 up from my instructor a few months back for $800 & when I researched prices that was what I was finding. I got my Friedman for $800 from his buddy also :) I don't think the prices for pre-Gibson Mesa is going to go down anytime soon.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
Just as well. I sold a couple amps and bought a couple and officially have too many again. I need to be done.

HotBluePlates

There is something about price hikes that I don't understand and it pertains to the used market.
... why is your MIM non player series worth more now because the price of the new, different model more? ...
Price is determined by the market supply and demand, not the original price of the guitar. People want it and are willing to pay for it.
One can ask any price in a listing. "Other things were priced higher? Lemme ask more for my ____ and see if I can get it."

It remains to be seen whether things actually sell at the higher prices.

Last edited:

gitfiddler99

I seem to remeber buying a Randall RG 100es half stack for $1750 in 1988.

That was a discounted price. Full retail was $2100. This was what an average mid grade half stack went for new back then.

$1750 in 1988 converted to todays dollars is about $3700.

Even with the current inflation spike, I can get a new, mid grade half stack FOR LESS THAN $3700.

Lets see... a new DSL 100 head is $1700, a 1960 cab is $1600. ( And a DSL is a hell of a better amp than the Randall!).

$3300 bucks now versus $3700 then.

Add to that all the modelling to be had at under a grand which was a pipe dream back then...

Perspective, people. You have had it VERY GOOD. For perhaps too long.

Stop the whining. Even in a pandemic, not all is bad.

Last edited:

Rick Lee

I walk into a GC and wonder who the hell is buying all those guitars and amps. I can't believe they sell them fast enough that manufacturers feel they can get away with raising prices. You can buy newer Marshal DSL 100H and 100HR heads on CL all day for $600 or less and often on GC's website. A few weeks ago a guy was selling a full stack DSL100H for $1000 on the local CL. If I had my own money printing press, I wouldn't think of paying $1700 for a new DSL head. I thought they were $900 new, but I'd still always buy used.

sll

Silver Supporting Member
Component prices are going up quickly also, and with labor shortages labor prices are going up as well. It all adds up to higher costs to build amps so amp prices need to go up to reflect those increases.

DiPa

Constant GAS
Component prices are going up quickly also, and with labor shortages labor prices are going up as well. It all adds up to higher costs to build amps so amp prices need to go up to reflect those increases.
As a result, harder to find product, and longer lead times, everything is pushed out, and to top it of, we don’t see the end of the tunnel. The chip industry shortages are predicted to continue through 2022, automobiles, everything is impacted.

Rick Lee

I have an on again/off again hankering for a DSL100H or HR, but I spent plenty of time this weekend running most of my Marshalls at full tilt and there's just no reason to get another. There, I said it. I'm not GASsing for more Marshalls.

Twoinch

Lets say you bought a MIM strat before they came out with the Player series. Those were around 500-ish new.
The player series is around 700 new.

So, why is your MIM non player series worth more now because the price of the new, different model more?
Why assume that the price of the used MIM strat is directly correlated to the new player?

They are somewhat related, but indirectly. It's everything to do with demand, and availability.

The market drives the price. If strats in general cost more money now, then used strats will be valued higher, because more people will be seeking out those used lower price strats, and people will be willing to pay more for them as fewer become available.

If prices of new strats dropped overnight by half, very few people would be buying $500 used MIM guitars. The demand would diminish, and value would drop. Instantly.

It's not strats and Gibsons... It's everything... All markets.

HotBluePlates

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom