• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Amp price hikes, holy smokes

Rick Lee

I understand the supply line issues will drive prices higher. I just don't see how/why people are paying those prices. There is so much gear out there and it has to be getting produced faster than they're making new guitar players. If I wasn't willing to buy a new amp at $1000, I'm really not gonna think about it at $1700.

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
I understand the supply line issues will drive prices higher. I just don't see how/why people are paying those prices. There is so much gear out there and it has to be getting produced faster than they're making new guitar players. If I wasn't willing to buy a new amp at $1000, I'm really not gonna think about it at $1700.
Weird set of factors people aren't used to seeing.

As stupid as some of us look for paying the higher prices, the stuff we want simply isn't even there to buy (at least new).

I ordered a Mesa MKV 90W Combo over a month ago. Now I'm told it'll be Jan 2022.

I'm absolutely certain there's still great deals to be had on used gear. I just don't have the patience, and don't care to take the extra time to find them.

Rick Lee

I paid full price for a Marshall Origin 50C a few months ago. I couldn't wait. But then a ton of them showed up used at the GC on CL for $200-$250 less. But it's really rare I do that.

sgguitarzz

Silver Supporting Member
was surfin the web and noticed that prices are going up fast on some items ...a new Vox AC15C1 is now $900 , Blackstar HT Club 40 in now $1000, 65 Princeton $1200 ...I'm sure this is just the beginning of the new normal ...wish I had bought some bitcoin instead of that case of cheese whiz ! :p
We are in a time of inflation in general partially spurred on by lack of availability and parts due to Covid issues in the last 18+ months. Everything is in short supply. Best to look for some items used though even that has been affected as well.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
was surfin the web and noticed that prices are going up fast on some items ...a new Vox AC15C1 is now $900 , Blackstar HT Club 40 in now $1000, 65 Princeton $1200 ...I'm sure this is just the beginning of the new normal ...wish I had bought some bitcoin instead of that case of cheese whiz ! :p
It'll take a long time for the supply chain issues brought about by Covid and the chip manufacturing factory fire to work themselves out. So, for the foreseeable future, things are going to be more expensive.

Sloppyfingers

Man,..I was on a roll in late 2020 and early 2021..I worked a ton of overtime over a 3 month period, and picked up an amp switcher, a Suhr Hombre , a SLO 30, and a Friedman 4x 12 cabinet..I was complaing then about the insane shipping times, but in retrospect I was fortunate, because this was before all the price hikes as well as the fire at the BAD factory where the SLO's are produced. I'm thinking that it may be best to hold off, and hopefully the price hike is NOT the new normal, and things will even itself out post pandemic..I may be a little bit naïve thinking that though..I'm thinking of selling off/trading my old JCM 800 2205 in the used market, but If I do, I can't bring myself to gouge someone.

Last edited:

dazco

It's our fault. Prices are always going to go up to a point that is the max a high enough percentages of customers will pay to bring max profits. And marketing has become a very accurate fine art that tells companies just what they can get away with. Even further, the pandemic unfortunately has shown manufacturers they were even underestimating what we will pay and it has therefore gotten worse. And contrary to what the media says, i don't think things will change once things get back to normal. Why would it when manufacturers and retailers know what they can now get away with?

Ya gotta vote with your wallet if u want a change. I know i'm in the minority so if i do that It won't change things, but i do so anyways on principle alone. Things like cable TV that i feel are way overpriced for a relatively crappy service....i go without on principle alone. I won't die w/o it and if more people did the same things would have to change or companies like that would fold. i am the same with gear. I won't buy stupid expensive gear no matter how good it is if i feel the company is charging far more then they need to. Thankfully many companies today have cheaper lines that can often be as good as much more expensive gear and that's what i use and have NOT suffered at all compared to when i payed a lot more for gear. Vote with your wallet !

gitfiddler99

Minimum wage is 15 bucks where I live. In fact , McDonalds now starts people at $16.75 PLUS BENEFITS incl Dental.

Thats CLEARING 600 bucks a week after taxes... if you can’t save TWO WEEKS minimum wages for a $1200 tube amp ( there are many killer amps in this range) , then you arent serious about playing.

You could get a Pod Go for half of that!

Sorry.

Im only 50 and I shake my head at the entitlement mindset consumers have developed over the last decade or two. Everyone wants everything for free . Then complain they don’t make enough. You can’t have it both ways.

Go over to India and see how they live.

People cry about dropping a measely grand for a computer that fits in your pocket and lasts years that you use all day, everyday. My Iphone 8 is still kicking and 4 years old. That means so far this “ overpriced Apple product” has now cost me 56 cents a day, so far. Perspective!

We have become spoiled children.

Last edited:

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
And contrary to what the media says, i don't think things will change once things get back to normal.
Whatever normal "is? was?" is growing smaller in the rear view mirror. Impossible to know what exact corrections are coming and when.

Why would it when manufacturers and retailers know what they can now get away with?
I don't disagree with you, but there are limits to everything. It's gonna get interesting watching what those limits are.

Natural law is a wonderful thing. It has no principals, prejudices, or morals. It just works.

I asked a fish today "how is the water?"

The fish replied "I've been surrounded by it since the day I was born, so I have no clue."

dazco

Whatever normal "is? was?" is growing smaller in the rear view mirror. Impossible to know what exact corrections are coming and when.

I don't disagree with you, but there are limits to everything. It's gonna get interesting watching what those limits are.

Natural law is a wonderful thing. It has no principals, prejudices, or morals. It just works.

I asked a fish today "how is the water?"

The fish replied "I've been surrounded by it since the day I was born, so I have no clue."
True, but the point is those limits tend to go waaaaaay past what would be acceptable to the business' to stay alive. The limits are rarely met because market research tells them just how much they can get away with and as the pandemic has shown projected marketing limits don't even reach those limits u mention. In short the point is prices are generally far higher than necessary for business to survive and survive well because people will buy till they literally can't buy and still have room and board. You can disagree, but IMO one thing thats not debatable is that f enough people DID vote with their wallets prices would not be what they are. Theres where the problem lies, ecspecially when it comes non necessities.

El Rey

Double Platinum Member
True, but the point is those limits tend to go waaaaaay past what would be acceptable to the business' to stay alive. The limits are rarely met because market research tells them just how much they can get away with and as the pandemic has shown projected marketing limits don't even reach those limits u mention. In short the point is prices are generally far higher than necessary for business to survive and survive well because people will buy till they literally can't buy and still have room and board. You can disagree, but IMO one thing thats not debatable is that f enough people DID vote with their wallets prices would not be what they are. Theres where the problem lies, ecspecially when it comes non necessities.
You're the man @dazco. :aok I enjoy a lot of what you have to say. You know a lot, and I have learned a lot from you.

You must think I'm trying to strike a debate with you? If that's how you see it, that's not my intent. I agree with a lot of what you say. I like your posts too. I just wish you'd break up the walls of text a little so it'd be easier on the eyes. ;)

Anyway.....Regardless of how much the dynamics of the how/why/where are convoluted by all those things we can't discuss here, it is real simple. At least for me it is.

People will pay the price......until they won't.

I surely can't be the only one who doesn't care about whether someone is charging way more or not in order for their business to survive, and survive well or not.

I simply don't give a damn about that, and it's senseless for me to do so anyway considering how all the pundits and talking heads spin the how and why of it all.

Actually, people mostly "vote with their wallets". The wallets are either open or closed. Or, empty.

Right now, lots of wallets are open. Let prices keep climbing (for whatever reason) and wallets will begin to close. Some like you, because of personal principles, others because they have decided they can't afford it.

And then you have boomers like me enjoying my second childhood buying some of the frivolous crap now that I couldn't afford when I was a punk kid, or a new parent raising a family.

Hopefully, I'll get to live a few years after retirement (3 1/2 yrs to go :banana ) to enjoy a little of it.

With my luck, I'll probably die the day I retire. :eek:

Last edited:

DGTCrazy

Mod Squad
Staff member
Thread reported and under Mod Review.

EDIT: Posts removed, Warning & Thread Ban issued. Folks, please note Rule 3 of the Terms and Rules prior to posting in this thread. Thanks.

Rick Lee

Minimum wage is 15 bucks where I live. In fact , McDonalds now starts people at $16.75 PLUS BENEFITS incl Dental.

Thats CLEARING 600 bucks a week after taxes... if you can’t save TWO WEEKS minimum wages for a $1200 tube amp ( there are many killer amps in this range) , then you arent serious about playing.
I was making more than double the minimum wage at Wendy's in 1988. My town had negative unemployment, to the point that we had prisoners on work release from the local women's prison at Wendy's. In those days my pay went to guitars and my beloved GK 250ML (which I still play all the time). It wasn't hard to save up that money when I was living at home with no bills. I can afford whatever gear I want now, but I have everything I ever wanted and need nothing. So I only buy stuff when the price is too good to pass up. Well, aside from that Origin 50C. But it's really rare I do something like that.

RayBarbeeMusic

Gold Supporting Member
When you print money, you do not create wealth. You create paper, and nowadays, pixels. Each new one makes the existing ones worth less, since the actual wealth total hasn't changed. It's like pie. If you cut the pie into smaller and smaller pieces, you haven't made more pie.

Or think about this. In 1880, an ounce of gold would buy you a nice new suit. In 2021, same. Now, how has the price of that nice new suit changed in nominal $?

RAG7890

Gold Supporting Member
When you print money, you do not create wealth. You create paper, and nowadays, pixels. Each new one makes the existing ones worth less, since the actual wealth total hasn't changed. It's like pie. If you cut the pie into smaller and smaller pieces, you haven't made more pie.

Or think about this. In 1880, an ounce of gold would buy you a nice new suit. In 2021, same. Now, how has the price of that nice new suit changed in nominal $?
It's funny & sad really, everyone talks about how much their home is worth, or how much that '59 Burst is worth............or collectible Cars etc.

Many just don't realise that their money has just lost so much value.

Next up we'll be hit with the inflation Train, as we settle into the new normal.

But wait............I'm positive there will be more & I don't see Air & Sea Freight costs stabilizing anytime prior to 2023.

:beer

James Freeman

In my view, playing music is nonessential entertainment.
I totally agree about "vote with your wallet", I can afford but not justify this kind of entertainment at those prices.

Also, ebay, reverb, etc. are designed to push prices ever higher by suggesting the seller astronomical "average" prices.
And also people who take advantage of the situation to make easy money, scalpers thrive in hard times.

Bottom line for me is it needs to bring joy to my musical pursuits, and being fairly priced is an important criteria.

Krausewitz

You could get a Pod Go for half of that!

Sorry.

Im only 50 and I shake my head at the entitlement mindset consumers have developed over the last decade or two. Everyone wants everything for free . Then complain they don’t make enough. You can’t have it both ways.

Go over to India and see how they live.

People cry about dropping a measely grand for a computer that fits in your pocket and lasts years that you use all day, everyday. My Iphone 8 is still kicking and 4 years old. That means so far this “ overpriced Apple product” has now cost me 56 cents a day, so far. Perspective!

We have become spoiled children.

Median rent in Los Angeles: $2,500 (let's say they have a roommate and can cut this in half to $1,250).
Median cost of employer-sponsored health insurance: $650. Let's assume the person is young and healthy and only pays $400.
Median electricity bill: $85 (presumably it'd be less, though, and cut in half....so let's say $35)
Cheap mobile phone contract: $25
Internet: $50 (split in two, $25)
Median food cost: $250...let's say they're cheap and get away with $175
Median cost of gas/petrol: $250 (let's say they don't drive much and it's only $125, including maintenance)
Savings (because they're a good little boy or girl): $240

In this highly plausible scenario the outgoings are already $2,275, assuming the person has no auto loan. If the person in question does NOTHING for entertainment....ever.....and never needs new clothes, or to buy birthday presents for family, or going out on dates, etc. etc. then they might have a total of about $175 they can put towards that new amp every month. It will take them at least seven months to get enough money to buy it. Is that worth it? Maybe to some people....but not to most.

Man, people are so entitled, aren't they?

DRS

Back to amps - I was getting ready to buy a new Marshall SC20 when I noticed they just went up 20% since September. Ouch! One used one and the guys is selling it for 90% of the new price. Mesa prices have not gone up in recent months.
Fender seems to have increased about 10%

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom