Amp Pricing for a used Line 6 Spider II 112

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by jeffrey827, Aug 28, 2008.

1. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

my friend is selling me a Line 6 Spider II 112 amp for 100$. do you think it is worth buying this amp?

2. nomadh

nomadh Member

1st thing is do you like it and does it fill a need? I would be buying as an investment. If so then check CL and ebay completed listings to beat it. If you are unlikely to beat it then jump on it. Generally it may be a decent price for an amp you like. I personally have a thing against line 6 and would spend $100 on a valve jr any day and every day. or a crate v8 or an old silvertone etc. I suspect that for $100 you can use it and if you outgrow it sell it for the same $100. Hopefully this answer was better than a limited use yes/no.
    Good luck

3. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

yes it was. thanks. well i mean it's in pretty good condition but then again it's kind of old because it's a Spider II not a Spider III but then he got it for like 230$ so yea.

4. oldrock

oldrock Member

I had the spider II 75 watt amp for a while. Got it because I wanted something cheap that wouldn't need any pedals to try and keep my informal jam rig simple. Ended up dumping mine pretty soon after I got it for two reasons. NUmber 1 was I just couldn't seem to dial in the tones without this annoying sound when I sustained notes or power chords. After a couple seconds, the amp went from fairly decent to very artificial sounding.

The second reason I sold it is my jamming buddies really gave me a hard time about it. Back to the tube amps for me now. Nothing at all against the digital amps but I still prefer the tones from a tube amp and you don't have to spend thousands of dollars to get good tube tone these days. Good time to be a tube amp fan imho.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

$100 bux for a usable amp?
    If it works for you, what more could you ask?

6. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

well i bought it and well what you said (oldrock) was right! lol. even tho i use my acoustic guitar on it and can actually go insane with it it makes weird noises after like 10 sec. weird. but i think it's worth 100$ because it's just my practice amp.

7. epluribus

epluribus Member

Guess this is an FYI now since you snagged it, but $100 is about middle of the road for the 30W 1x12 with a few road scars, so that's not a bad deal.

These things are sleepers...since I'm not a fan of Line 6 modelling in general, (esp the early stuff) when a Spider II 1x12 came across my home workbench the other day I was frankly shocked at the stout cleans and the light drive stuff. Between the first and second channels you can do reasonably good Blackface, Tweed, and early Marshall cleans with plenty of depth, smoothness, and character--surprisingly big sound. Dial up a notch or two of drive on either one, and you get some pretty serviceable dirt, feel, and compression like you'd expect from those amps--not bad CW and blues tones, really. In that ballpark, the Spider'll get you from Champ to Deluxe territory before it starts to run out of gas. And not a half bad pedal platform for a c-note DSP amp either.

But the latter two channels in my book were unusable, esp the last one. The amp suffers from all the artifacts of DSP-generated dirt, and being an early modeller, pretty distinct artifacts at that. (Harshness, aliasing, mud, etc.) The third channel, reputedly a Mesa model, is actually okay if you really take the time to tweak... dial the dirt down...find the right guitar...

As for the time-based FX, DSP does that with far more ease, and those features struck me as usable up to about the first third of the wet/dry levels. Just enough to fill out the tone in other words. Past that the amp is perfectly capable of burying itself. :)

IMHO though it's not a great amp, and certainly won't get you to sonic heaven like something with a real EL84 or two, I was amazed at what a cool amp it was given the price point and the state of DSP/SS at the time. Definitely a fun little garage amp.

Cool find. Twiddle with it a bit and see if you don't find some voices bigger than what the amp looks like. It's definitely got some worthwhile mojo hidden away in there.

--Ray

8. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

do u no any tweaks for this amp? ^.^ and thanks!

9. epluribus

epluribus Member

As far as anything internal? Not really, the amp had been badly crunched in shipping--it was shipped in an empty box by the PO without any padding. Fortunately, the damage was mostly limited to the cab, which I was able to fix. As for the circuit board and the intelligent electronic bits, those were beyond my capability to test, so the owner got a very nice settlement from the PO. I did, however, conclude that modding one was definitely way over my head. :)

One thing we did do, however, was run a line from the headset jack to a mixer and into a PA system. Sounded remarkably like a Pod DI to PA. If you don't have a PA around, but you have a good-quality bass amp, keyboard amp, or a big powered monitor, those make pretty good poor-man's PA systems as well, and at those power levels you'll be surprised what you can crank out. Cool.

IMHO, the way to get to know an amp, certainly this one, is to find the cleans first and see what it has in it. That'll tell you if it's a good candidate for pedals among other things. So if the Spider could do a variety of cleans, it would provide a nice variety of pedal platforms as well. Turns out it does.

What initially impressed me was the very Blackface-ish mid-scoop and depth of the first channel, even with the volume and gain full up and the EQ cranked. It did quite a good job of covering Champ, Princeton, and even Deluxe tone, though the available distortion was more limited than any of those three, esp the Deluxe.

The second channel was intriguing--it had a very Marshall mid-hump voice and the dirt was pretty cool at least to about mid-range, reasonably reminiscent of the diode clipping system in a JCM-series amp. That's cool because I've always felt the JCM has a terribly underrated blues/old-school rock voice at clean-med drive settings. Beyond mid-range dirt, however, the Spider got too digital-edgy and indistinct for my taste. Anyhoo, pretty good Marshall tones--and chalk up pedal platform # two.

But the second channel does something else cool. Dial it back to clean and turn the tone knobs, and you can find a remarkably Tweed-y voice in there. As you begin to bring in the dirt, the flavor of the grind and the sound of the cab reminds me a bit of the later Tweeds that the early Marshalls grew out of. Once again, dialing the dirt to about midway, IIRC, created some decent impressions of Champs, Prins, and Deluxes--and depending on the dirt and EQ, anywhere from TV-Front to Narrow Panel. It in no way feels like a Tweed, but the sound out front in a mix sure makes you think Tweed. I'm not of the opinion you even need pedals with a Tweed, but rack up pedal platform number three anyway.

The third channel tries hard to get you to Mesa Boogie land, but lets face it, even the best of modellers can't even come close unless the cab and the power are big enough, and then it's a huge stretch even for modern gear. A cranked Mesa is one of the hardest tones to model digitally, IMHO. Trouble is, the channel doesn't clean up enough to really establish a solid clean, so it'll be pretty picky about pedals in front. But all that said, if you crank the gain and dial back the treble and bass, as if you were setting up for Woman Tone, a decent garage approximation of that middly ultra-compressed Santana solo tone comes out. We were also surprised how good it sounded in the PA. Not quite Pod-par, but much more useable than you might think.

Now the fourth channel...never could find a tone that suited my taste in there. But that's not to say it might not work well in headsets. Never could get good hi-gain out of a 1x12.

Overall, for a few bucks, no weight, and compact size, what this amp does do well is pretty impressive. Happy pickin'.

--Ray

10. tremster

tremster Member

That's a very good description of the second channel. There're definitely some hidden good tones here. Turn back the gain and you do get some very tweedy sounds. It may not "feel" like a tube amp but it sure sounds close enough. All at quite a low volume too. Was literally amazed when I first heard it.

But what's more, add some amp tremolo and reverb, and you got yourself a heady vintagey tone brew, coming out from a "robocop" amp! It's really quite something.

And I'm the kinda of sucker who gets sold on good tube amp tremolo.

Really, pretty good tones for low bucks. At least we know we are getting somewhere with modern technology! I think amp modelling technology has definitely caught up.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  11. jeffrey827

jeffrey827 Member

lol. thanks a lot. you guys helped a lot

12. epluribus

epluribus Member

Cool, hope you dig that little monster as much as I did. That is one neat little amp! I loved it.

--Ray