amp quest help... not even sure where to start

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Woody777, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Woody777

Woody777 Member

My current rig = Tele -> Tremoverb and an ever rotating array of pedals... although my Visual Sound Visual Volume and Boss DD-20 seem to be permanent staples.

I'm looking for something a bit different. I'm after jangly cleans and that just-on-the-verge-of-breakup (read: Vox) and thick, articulate overdrive that can get nice and crunchy without being overly bright, overly compressed or overly saturated (read: Orange). I'm trying to stay away from using a two amp setup. Here are a few other things that are important to me:

- would prefer a combo (1x12 or 2x12) and weight is not an issue
    - responds well to volume/dynamic changes
    - I assume these sounds are not possible in a single channel amp, so channels should be footswitchable
    - fx loop would be a huge plus as I'm an avid delay/reverb (pedal) user
    - will be used almost everyday between rehearsals and touring, so reliability is important

The Tremoverb is okay. The clean channel is actually really good for what it is, but no where near the Vox jangle I'm after. And the gain channel thins out quite a bit after I dial it in so that it cuts through the mix (I'm the lead player in a two guitar band), although it still sounds pretty good.

The band is kind of Switchfoot meets Jimmy Eat World... vaugue I know, and not sure if that helps or matters.

Price... I dunno. The cheaper the better, but I'm willing to spend a couple grand on quality. The Vox overdrive doesn't really do it for me (but love the cleans) and the Orange cleans don't really do it either (although I've only tried the Rocker 30 and the AD30 and didn't spend much time at all on the clean channels because the overdrive is to die for).

Not even sure where to start... Matchless? Badcat? Tophat? I'd like to use something that is somewhat readily available, nothing too obscure or with a wait list.

2. dk123123dk

dk123123dk Member

Sounds like an Egnator Mod50 to me.

dk

3. Woody777

Woody777 Member

Interesting... looks like they have a module that would cover the Vox tones... but I didn't see any overdrive modules that jumped out to me.

What about the Matchless, Badcat or Tophat lines? I do want a very Voxy clean, but the overdrive doesn't need to be distinctly Orange (I've never heard another amp other than Orange that nailed those tones). Just something thick. Really thick.

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Hot Cat 30. I had a Tremoverb for years, and it's a great amp, so hang onto it. But the Hot Cat will give you the jangle on the clean channel, with a little of that Matchless "crushed glass", and the gain channel will give you the other thing you want.

At least try one. I don't have one any more, so I have no axe to grind.

5. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

+1 for badcat, :AOK they have more than a few amps that meet at least most of your criteria

6. Woody777

Woody777 Member

I'l have to see if I can find a Badcat Hotcat to demo locally. As I research more and more, I keep coming back to the Orange AD30...

7. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Curious, what kind/config. of pick-ups??

8. Woody777

Woody777 Member

It's just an early 2000s (2003 I think) American Series, but with SCN pickups.

9. Sam801

Sam801 Member

The Orange AD140 will clean up a lot better than the AD30 since it has more headroom. I also prefer the overdrive on it, seems to be less out of control(once again a headroom thing) and takes pedals better.