Amp recomendations, deeep sound, low volume hahahaha

axpro

So, I have gone through a few amps lately, My favourite is a Marshall JCM800 50 watt clone i built myself modded for lots of low mids and a vox cut control to cut out all the highs, but it's WAY too loud for at home. I have a mesa Stiletto for jamming/playing out, and the aforementioned marshall, but i am looking for a lower wattage (under 20) amp that can do some thick meaty sounds. I may be asking the impossible.

Lately i've gone through a Matchless/Badcat stint, still appreciate the DC15 clone combo, but I didn't dig the Badcat (judah) It's basically a black cat with 2x6v6's I also tried a Dr.Z RXes. I currently have a Dr.z Maz8 which is a great amp for at home, but i'd like something LIKE that, but leans more towards marshall/mesa territory. I have high wattage metal-eyness covered at my jam space, a small rock/old metal friendly head is what i am hunting for.

I realize there is NO substituting volume and a sealed back cabinet, but i just need something closer than what i have.

Any ideas?

axpro

I am leaning towards just saying "eff it" and buying a rectoverb 25 and thiele cab.... that would be controllable enough.

jaschinski

I ended up with a Mojave Coyote. I don't use it much anymore as I use a plexi clone with an attenuator now. The only difference is the amount of bottom end. The coyote at 12 watts (which is still loud as hell) doesn't have the absolute heft that the 50 watter does. No surprise there. The coyote has a power damping built-in that will bring it down to polite levels without having to use an attenuator. Very Marshally tones. The highs are more burnished and full than my tinnitus inducing maz 18.

Hacksaw

Time Warped
Platinum Supporting Member
Attenuate and re-amp. Look for a thread started by hogy. He tells a great way to do this if you're not familiar.

axpro

I don't record for the most part. When i do, i do it mostly at my drummer's place where noise isn't an issue. I already have a few attenuators too. just looking for a low wattage amp for home that is a little more "metal-ey"

Trending Topics