Amp recommendation time...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by SouthernShred, Sep 17, 2012.

1. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Silver Supporting Member

My previous rig was a 71 Pro Reverb and a bunch of pedals...looking to change things up a bit...Some of the things I've listed below don't quite fit what I'm going to say next, but I listed as they are in my budget...I would really like whatever I end up with to be a bit more portable and a bit lighter in weight...I'm trimming down my pedalboard to a PT Mini and want to carry a 1x12 cab, the small pedalboard and a head.

Looking for dirt ala EVH, DeMartini, Lynch, Rhoads, Aldrich, Jake E Lee without losing the ability to have good cleans. I realize I'm probably not going to get my Pro Reverb style cleans in the package I'm looking for but usable would be nice.

I would prefer something in head format with a good master volume. I'll mainly be playing at small clubs or jams with buddies, running into some sort of 1x12 or 2x12 cab...A loop would be nice as well.

Budget? Well...I'm not rolling in dough otherwise I would have already bought something like a PT50, Bogner, Cameron, etc and been done with it.

Ideally I'd like to get out the door, used preferably, for no more than $1000-$1200...maybe unrealistic, but what the hell.

Things I've thought of:

Egnater Tweaker 15 or 40 and hit it with a boost on the Brit setting
    H&K Tubemeister (Cleans seem really sterile based on the one I tried)
    Modded Jet City 22H
    Mesa Mini Rectifier
    5150 III 50 watt head
    Marshall DSL50

Ideas?

2. memiller

memiller Member

Kick the 5150 and the Jet City right off the list if you want anything approaching a good clean tone. A friend of mine owns one, and I owned the other. Neither are good for cleans.

I wouldn't discount the Jet City JCA100H though. If you're willing to go with a 50 watt head, 100 watt heads aren't actually much louder and the thing has a volume knob anyway.

Also, consider the Engl Thunder 50.

3. Braciola

Braciola Silver Supporting Member

DSL50 would be my suggestion

4. ArchtopAnimal

ArchtopAnimal Member

The Pro Reverb is a damn fine amp . I'll watch this thread to see
    where you end up .:munch

5. SouthernShred

Oh no doubt it was...I miss it...but my music is shifting directions a bit and I threw my injury plagued back out hauling a 70 pound combo in one hand and my flight case enclosed pedalboard in the other about 2 weeks ago...

6. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

I bought a Mesa TA15 about 18 months ago, and I love it. Going by your needs, I'd look at the Mini Recto.

7. Evansexcellent

Evansexcellent Member

I loved my DSL50. It has great clean and dirty. Dying to try a mini rect. I agree the transatlantic stuff is rad. Really want a ta30. Lots of awesome sounds.

8. BluesBUSTER

BluesBUSTER Member

I would look for a Marshall 25 anniversary (silver in '87, black tolex after that). It seems to match the closest your requirements.
    MF has a good deal on a H&K Statesman, you may want to look at that amp also.

9. freaksho

freaksho Member

used Shiva's can be had for $1200. that's what i just sold my 6L6 version for earlier this year. i tried to get more but just couldn't locally. i think the introduction of the 20th Anniv Shiva (and the bad economy) destroyed the resale value of the regular version. if i were you i'd grab one now in case they start going back up soon. don't know whether similar amps are going for the same (CAE, etc).

10. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

A couple of Marshall inspired amps I recommend, but they might be pushing your budget, are the Splawn Streetrod or the new Splawn Supersport. They will nail the tones you're looking for [EVH, DeMartini, Lynch, Rhoads, Aldrich, Jake E Lee] and have pretty good Marshall cleans. Although not a Marshall-inspired amp, you might like the Fender Supersonic V22, as well.

To my ears, the Mesa amps mentioned above don't quite capture the Marshall-inspired tones you mentioned above. Mesa has it's own thing going on, which is great if that's your thing. Mesa's are generally very versatile and built like tanks too [but so are Splawns].

I own a 5150 III 50W. I like it, but it's more on the modern/Mesa end of the tonal spectrum. It's very versatile, has great cleans, and is at a great price point.

Good luck!

11. madhermit

madhermit Supporting Member

Try a Rivera. I have an R55 1x12 combo which is an EL34 based amp, clean channel modelled after Fender with a mid push pull circuit that shifts the overall vibe to a tweed type circuit IIRC. The gain channel is very Marshally. Lots of gain if you want it. The EQ's a very powerful.
    I a pretty sure the Suprema is pretty much the same amp in a bigger closed back cab. I believe the Pubster and/or Chubsters are similar too. Cheaper speakers IIRC.
    I have seen them (R55) used lately for $650ish. Killer deal I think!
    Edit: forgot to mention the R55 combo is about 40lbs. Their Knucklehead is along the same tone lines if you want a head format.

12. madhermit

madhermit Supporting Member

13. Kelly

Kelly Member

Fryette Deliverance if you can live with one channel. Marshall DSL if you cant.

14. JMCIII

JMCIII Member

Great tones! They are my favorites as well. I just ordered a Splawn Street Rod Head. Actually I ordered the combo first but he had not started it yet so I was able to change the order.

I hear cleans are much improved on Splawn amps, and as far as the dirty tones you are after, a Splawn should nail them.

15. LBCwannabe

LBCwannabe Member

I just ordered a mini recto from eddies guitars. He gave me a good deal and free shipping. I liked the pushed clean channel. If u decide to go with the mini i think it would be worth your time to give them a call.

16. Capador

Capador Member

I'd give the used market a try, especially at your budget.

For the sounds you mentioned, I'd look at a used Marshall JVM head. I used to own a 210H and it was a great amp for the price. You can find them used for around $800 pretty regularly. It has a great clean channel, the Marshall OD and a very usable master volume. The counter knob is also a nice touch.

I'm sure you can also find some used Mesa stuff (big boy Rectos) for under $1000 used if you keep your eyes open.

17. SouthernShred

Thanks! I'm specifically looking used...I rarely buy new

18. rummy

rummy Member

Just my 2 cents. The JVM I owned was ok. It got buzzy at high gain, and was noisy. I traded that in for a Mesa Mark IV. While it's my do-all, be-all amp, it may not be the best for squeezing the traditional marshall tone. It's there... somewhat.

19. custom53

custom53 Member

or a TSL..

20. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

I also owned a 1x12 Rivera Chubster for a while. Great sounding amp, but I thought it took a lot of volume to sound good. That's the reason I sold it. Otherwise, very nice.