Amp recommendation - Tube but not a back breaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Pinelake, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

I've started playing for an R&B - Dance band. I'm using a Rivera Venus 5. I love it but it weighs just shy of 60 lbs. I'm looking for a good tube amp that is more in the range of 35-40 lbs. 15-35 watt. Any recommendations? Price range $500 - $800. The amp will be mic'd.

Thanks

2. Tomm Williams

Tomm Williams Member

A used Supro 1624T might go for just a touch more but is the lightest 1x12 tube amp I think I've ever owned.

3. duaneflowers

duaneflowers Member

Behind a Killer Les Paul Somewhere in Japan
    With some tweaks a Fender BJIII might do it for you...

4. B-Nads

B-Nads Member

Look for a used Gries. It would be in the upper end of your budget, but if you like Fender-esque cleans, Gries amps are awesome.

Blues Power likes this.
  5. carl_is_tall

carl_is_tall Member

If you don't need a bunch of gain, a Fender Princeton should do the trick. If you need gain,.. use a pedal for that. I have a '64 Princeton that is super light and sounds great. I've never played the reissue but I bet it sounds good too. A different animal than mine but same concept.

hubberjub likes this.
  6. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

cant go wrong with a classic 30.
    also a used vibrolux pro tube series RI will be about where you want to be pricewise

big mike likes this.
  7. stevel

stevel Member

Hand truck.

XSinner13X likes this.
  8. draelyc

draelyc Member

Dunno what kinds of tones you dig, but I recently picked up a Budda SD 18 1x12 combo for $800. I've seen them go for less, but this was a Series I & I really wanted it. :D Two channels, all tube (tube rectifier, too), 39-40 lbs., iirc. And plenty loud, fwiw. Fx loop, too, if that's important. Full disclosure: I haven't had a chance to gig it yet, but comparing it to amps I have gigged, I would not hesitate to gig it, especially if it'll be mic'd. :aok

9. Custom50

Custom50 Member

What about Fender's '68 Princeton reissue?

10. XSinner13X

XSinner13X Member

+1

Pinelake likes this.
  11. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    A decent 5e3 Tweed Deluxe or 5e5 Tweed Super 1/12 combo would probably be your sweet spot. Loud enough to hang with a band. Killer tones for R&B. Not going to break your back, weight wise. (My 5e5 weighs in at about 28 lbs. with a sold birch cab and and a fairly hefty Eminence 12" speaker.) You should be able to find a good clone in your price range, if you are willing to go used, depending on the maker, you might even to be able to get one new in this range. Vintage, obviously, is a whole different ball park!

Pinelake likes this.
  12. Pinelake

Pinelake Member

I have a hand truck... and that may be what it comes down to. Just by the time I get to where I'm going with stairs and curbs, I just grab it and carry it. I will check out the models recommended. Haven't seen the Vox AC15 mentioned. Any users out there? I do use some grit but nothing that's terribly edgy.

13. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    The AC15 is a great amp, and I love mine, but it does not come first to mind when I think R&B. (That's not to say you couldn't squeeze some sweet sounds out of one. ) Mind you, they are rather heavy buggers. Not as heavy as your Venus 5, but still not light! I think my C1X with the Alnico Blue weighs in just shy of 50 lbs.

Pinelake likes this.
  14. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

How about separating the amp to put it in a head cab?

15. crwilsn

crwilsn Member

Mesa Express 5:25. Small Combo weighs in a @ 40 lbs and is a loud 30 watts. Can dial in almost any tone you want between the two channels.

16. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

Budda SuperDrive 18 1x12 combo. Weighs 40 lbs and enough volume on tap to play an outdoor festival.