Amp recommendation

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GloryJones, Mar 16, 2015.

1. GloryJones

GloryJones Supporting Member

Currently playing a Hot Rod Deluxe (40 watts) used as a clean platform ONLY. Bunch of effects (mostly drives) so I'd prefer it take pedals well. I play blues/rock in small clubs (100-200 people) and at bigger venues I can mic or run two amps.

I'm looking in the $500 - $750 range, used. Not interested in Blues Jr. /clones. Preferably something with 6L6/6V6. I like that big blackface fender clean sound. The DRRI is pretty high up on my list.

Any other thoughts?

2. geek-mo

geek-mo Supporting Member

I read the part about "small clubs" and using a mic at bigger venues, but if I were you, I would get a Super Reverb or a Twin Reverb, even if it costs a bit more than you had planned. If you like the big, blackface Fender clean sound, these are the best amps money can buy. And they sound great at lower volumes, if that's a concern.

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

++ on the Super Reverb. At any rate I would stick with 6L6's, not sure the 6V6's will get you there from what you describe... especially after a HRD.

4. GloryJones

Alright, I'll check out the Super Reverbs for sale in the area. Anything else? Maybe smaller / less weight?

5. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

For $500 - $750 a used DRRI is about as good as you can get for that price and size. I assume you don't want more power or clean headroom because your HRD already has that over a DRRI.

6. Mikeishness

Mikeishness Member

FWIW - both the Twin and Super Reverbs are heavy amps. But between the two I think the Twin is easier to carry around. It isn't as tall as the Super, so you don't have to lift it as high to keep it from dragging on the ground.

7. batfish

batfish Member

I think the Fender Vibrolux is similar to the Super Reverb, but with two less speakers and a smaller transformer ( so lighter and less power, but still, 35 watts is adequate for 100-200, usually). 2X6L6, so it's got the right tubes, ha.

I think used it would be in the ballpark of your price range.

They also have the '68 version of the amp out now (in addition to the '65 reissue), which has some neat modifications for a gigging musician, but ymmv.

I was listening to this demo today and I thought it sounded cool turned up with the LP pushing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aFSVZaRfYc

8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

I was going to also suggest a VR.

Definitely worth considering.

9. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

But his price range is $500 - $750.

10. GloryJones

The Vibrolux looks good but might be out of my range.

Anything 20-30 watts that will give me a nice full, deep sound? Doesn't have to be a fender.

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Do you want it to have reverb built in? Also Do you want to stay using a clean channel only or if you had a good OD channel to use would you want that? Do you need or want an effects loop?

12. GloryJones

Don't need reverb but if it has it, I'd prefer it to be switchable. Not a deal breaker.
    If the OD channel is useable then yeah, I'd use it. The HRDx drive is so terrible.
    An effects loop would be nice as well, but not absolutely essential.

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Vht Special 12/20 non RT, can run 6v6 or 6L6 with flip of a switch. Built as a good pedal platform. Tube buffered, adjustable effects loop. With boost kicked on it can get kinda blackface'ish when pushed.

[​IMG]

14. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

In that price range, for a great pedal platform blues/rock gig amp, I would be looking for a silverface Bassman Ten. It is somewhat awkward to transport because of it's size, but the 4x10 closed back combo format sounds awesome for blues/rock. It's 6L6 powered, all tube, hand-wired, and sounds huge. These were originally designed for bass, so they have large transformers and a full, rich low end. But they make better guitar amps than they do bass amps. They are very reliable. You can get clean Fender sounds, and with a good dirt pedal get early Marshall crunch. The good news is that these tend to sell for $500 or $600 in good condition. You might need to change speakers, since the originals were for bass. But that's easy, and only about $200 extra. I've had two of these, and both were great amps. One was an early 50 watt version, and the other was a later 70 watt (Ultralinear) version. Both were awesome. They have two separate channels (non-switchable), so you can put a clean preamp tube in one and a Mullard reissue in the other channel for tone options. And the master volume is not a problem. Just set it between 5 and 10 (depending on how much volume you might need) and use the channel volume to adjust final loudness. You can't find a better blues/rock pedal platform amp for under a grand.

15. custom53

custom53 Member

The Fender Twin Reverb is what I was thinking also. But they are so Heavy..! Fender should have put handles on both ends of it, instead of a single handle in the middle, so 2 people could carry it. It is a beast, but a great amp..