Amp Recommendations for Zendrive????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Dannc6, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Dannc6

Dannc6 Supporting Member

Hey all-
    I've got a SRRI, and have tried the zendrive in front of it to get "the sound," with a strat. To be honest, its not really working for me... so lay it on me, give me some good recommendations for a nice big sound, either a different amp, or something I can add the to equation to make it come alive. When I plugged everything in for the first time, it was not convincing, sounded kind of muzzy and fuzzy, not interactive and expressive like I expected.

Thanks for the recommendations, Just wondering what direction to go in... sell the SRRI, or get something piece of gear the supplemental equation?... let me know

Thanks
    Dan

2. npirt.89

npirt.89 Member

try a fulltone fulldrive 2. if you want a big clean tone that is just about at break up, then try the new mosfet version and use the comp cut feature.

3. Dannc6

Dannc6 Supporting Member

Gotcha... I've heard good things about the fulldrive. Should I try that in addition to the zendrive or as a replacement?

4. npirt.89

npirt.89 Member

i'm not very familiar with the zendrive...but i've heard tons about it! need to try one!
    i would try a fulldrive, then try them together and see what sounds best to you. what i do is i use a boost like an RC booster and use that just to overall boost my tone, makes it more meatier and thick. then i use my fulldrive on top of that. you could try something like that.

5. schaljo

schaljo LEGEND

Replace the zen, not the amp imo. I've had good luck with the Barber LTD Silver or the OCD.

6. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

Zen sounds good w/ humbuckers, strat sounds good w/ eternity ... that was my experience w/ BF's

7. doc

doc Member

Before giving up, I'd suggest doing a lot of knob tweaking. If you do give up, you should send that now useless Zen to me.

8. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

My Zendrive sound wicked through a CowTipper. Great match.

9. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

The Zen sounds awesome through a CowTipper and it's given my Mesa LSC a new lease on life. Combined with channel 2 I get the best singing lead tones short of a Komet Concorde.

Ity also sounds very good with my BF Vibrolux but oddly enough I prefer it with the COwtipper and the LSC.

10. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

I have use many pedals through an SRRI in the past, including a Zendrive. And I have used the Zendrive through many amps since the SRRI. If you're getting muzzy and fuzzy, it's not the Zendrive. Trying to get too much gain through any BF amp at lower volumes results in 'muzzy and fuzzy'.

Blackface amps are not good platforms for heavy overdrive or distortion. If you are trying to get alot of overdrive from an SRRI at lower volumes it will sound muzzy and fuzzy with ANY pedal (except maybe a Barber Direct Drive, which I find sounds great through any amp at any level!).

One big mistake many people make trying to get "that tone" (since you're using a Zen through a Super, I assume you mean the Robben Ford thing), is that they think they are hearing alot of overdrive... it's not. The setup that Robben uses when he is using his Super and a Zen has the pedal gain only at about 9 or 10 O'Clock. His non-dumble tone is mainly good humbuckers (like a JB or PAF) into a BF amp that is cranked up to about 7 or 8 on the volume and controlled with the guitar volume.

Listen to the Ford Brothers Live CD... that's Robben through the BF/Zendrive setup... it IS different from the Dumble stuff on most of his other CDs, but Robben's tone is because of Robben's hands, so it is NOT hugely different.

Try the SRRI turned up, us a good humbucker, set the Zen to: Gain- 10 o'clock; Tone- Noon or 1 o'clock; Voice- 1 o'clock to start. Adjust volume to taste, then tweak the voicing to match what you're looking for. Avoid the temptation to turn up the gain... try different pick attacks and guitar volumes knob and tone knob tweaks and really listen. It's a tone that doesn't blow you away alone in the basement, but mix with a band and you'll see what I mean.

11. Dannc6

Dannc6 Supporting Member

Thanks man - super helpful response. I'm going to try setting up the super ASAP. I guess part of what I am asking is, since the SRRI isn't really a good platform for OD/ distortion pedals, what IS a good platform? I'm tired of buying and selling great pedals, just because I have the pickiest amp around, if that makes sense.

12. GenoBluzGtr

There's nothing wrong with the SRRI for pedals, except for the low volume stuff. To get good low volume OD using pedals, I recommend trying a Tweed-flavored fender. I use a 4X10 Tweed Bassman alot and I can use it at nearly any venue. It sounds as good on "2" as it does on "8" (well...almost!... there's something about just moving air!),but it takes OD pedals, specifically the Zendrive really well.

Something else to try before you get rid of your rig, is to get a good set up tubes, especially pick up a nice NOS 5751 to put in the first preamp stage of the SRRI. It will 'smooth' things out a bit.

Also, try the Zendrive through the "Normal" channel on the SRRI, I found with mine, that one was a much better pedal platform than the "Vibrato" channel. In fact, the best way I found to run the SRRI for gigging was to use an A/B footswitch, with my OD pedal in line with the "Normal" channel and a Chorus pedal in line with the "Vibrato" channel. I could use the Vib chan for all my cleans, with reverb and chorus to taste, and switch over to the "Norm" channel with the OD on for leads. Used my guitar volume to go between rhythm and solo volume levels.

Try that out, it may surprise you.

13. Dannc6

Dannc6 Supporting Member

That's huge, great tip and insight. I am definitely going to try that. Is there any reason that the vibrato channel might not be as flattering to pedal as the normal channel?
    Thanks for all this help guys, the answers that I'm getting here are awesome.

14. GenoBluzGtr

"Is there any reason that the vibrato channel might not be as flattering to pedal as the normal channel?"

Not sure.. but there is an extra gain stage because of the 'verb/tremolo stuff going on in there, as well as phase differences. I can't imagine that alone being a huge impact, but it's probably just the voicing of the circuit to make it different... a smaller capacitor here, a larger resistor there, and everything changes... One reason to have two different channels, so you can get two different sounds, and as those of us who have spent years and bit $$$$ to find the 'right' sound for us, God and Leo know you can't please everybody with just two....

Good luck!