• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Amp recommendations

He_Ma

Hi,

I'm looking for amp recommendations. I've been not looking amps at all after getting my Black Cat 30r in 2015 or so..

So I would like to get amp with following features:
-40-50W (maybe EL34, but this is not a must)
-2-channels that could both be dialed to edge of breakup or more, but still the other channel could be played clean with loud drummer when dialed in that way. My 30W Black Cat starts to breakup a bit with loud drummer.
-Tremolo
-Pedal friendly

These would be nice, but not must.
-Separate EQ's for channels with bass, mid, treble control
-Solo boost
-Reverb
-Good master volume
-Effects loop
-Head and cab is preferred over combos.

I would also like the channels, possible solo boost, trem and reverb to be footswitchable

Maybe the heaviest I go is rock stuff in Foo fighters style, but mostly I stay in the edge of breakup world in P&W & U2 style tones. I'd also prefer something that is not in the Vox ballpark to have tonal difference to my black cat. I appreciate when amps have great note separation when playing chords even with bigger gain.

With the amp head I'd like to stay below 2k€ mark or not much over, but feel free to recommend everything. I also would like amp to be available in Europe so maybe small builders not in EU area are not on the list this time.

He_Ma

Any takers for this? I'd like to add that there can be 3rd channel if the amp otherwise checks those boxes.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Maybe take a look at the Rivera Chubster 40, they seem to tick a lot of your box's, they are built extremely well, and will give you a lot of tonal variety. This is a link to Rivera's Chubster product page, once your are familiar with Rivera amps offer and you think they may be a candidate, you can search for used, you'll can find good values there.
http://www.rivera.com/product/combos/chubster-40/

jay42

Maybe take a look at the Rivera Chubster 40, they seem to tick a lot of your box's, they are built extremely well, and will give you a lot of tonal variety.
This is the truth about all Rivera amps...well built, lots of variety. I have a 55W Rake and it's not going anywhere...be warned that versatility does come at the cost of a bit of tweaking and writing favorite settings down.

The tone controls on most Fenders have three regions...1 to 3, 4 to 7, and too much. Ime, Rivera tone controls are continuously variable.

In Absentia

Silver Supporting Member
The X factor seems to be the trem. So few amps have onboard trem that also tick the other boxes.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
The trem is the killer.

You really can't live without it in the amp?

scotty31

Silver Supporting Member
If you fancy a hunt, the Mesa Tremoverb.
its not the best amp trem you'll find, but it will make do and gives you everything else.

Or, as @Bluesful said, if you can live without amp trem
Mesa Lone Star Classic.
Buy yourself a nice trem pedal :)

He_Ma

First of all, thank you all! I realize that feature set that I desire is not the most common and that's the reason I asked suggestions.

Supro Statesman.
That Supro Statesman is really strong contender. I have played their 1622rt or something like that, and it has one of the nicest tremolos I've ever played. That thing basically has three channels when you can stack them. Do you know if it bumbs volume or just adds preamp gain if you stack those two?

If you fancy a hunt, the Mesa Tremoverb.
its not the best amp trem you'll find, but it will make do and gives you everything else.

Or, as @Bluesful said, if you can live without amp trem
Mesa Lone Star Classic.
Buy yourself a nice trem pedal :)
Tremoverb might also do the trick. I'd like to have an amp that would have tremolo and if I go with one without it, it won't be lonestar though. That amp has one of my fav cleans, but I couldn't get Od tones that truly made me happy from it.

joebloggs13

The Reeves Space Cowboy is another one you should look at. It doesn't have trem but it's an extremely versatile amp, and a great pedal platform.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom