• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Amp relicing... really?

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
Stewmac: how to relic your tweed amplifier

People can do whatever they want to do with a product they buy, but I marvel that someone would think this is worth their time. Saving up dryer lint to cram in the bottom corners of the cabinet to simulate dust bunnies? Why stop there? Head down to the basement and run all the crevices for dead bugs, then maybe rent a mouse from a pet store and let it relieve itself in the cabinet a few times, and maybe nibble on a wire or two. Salt spray will do wonders for creating oxide and pitting that will give you a truly authentic collection of intermittent electronic problems -- just like a real "barn find"!

BeeBaa

I don't think it's any more absurd than reliced guitars.
At least relicing can change the way a guitar feels in your hands, affecting the actual playing experience. Not sure how it could make a similar difference in an old tweed, unless you and your amp are on more intimate terms.

FattRaxx

I'm pretty sure that if a relic Plexi or 800 chassis and headbox were released for purchase, it would sell like hotcakes.

Ripped tolex and dings
Mismatched knobs
"Marshall" reworked to "arsholl"
Handle broken
Loose piping
Extra hole on chassis for suspect "boost" mod

someguyfromnc

When I was much younger I use to have a tweed Peavy amp. I did the shellac thing. I really liked the darker look and it definitely protected the tweed. When I posted it for sale there was a crazy amount of people making offers on it. I would never waste my time doing that now.

HotBluePlates

... honestly obtained mojo:
Could we give some of that mojo back?? Or does it come equipped with a free tetanus shot?

Many moons ago, I was in a guitar shop in downtown Nashville (not Gruhn's). They had a tweed Bassman that had been owned & used by Luther Perkins (the Johnny Cash sideman). It was in excellent condition, not even as worn as most tweed amps we see. Like someone kept a cover on it, or at least avoided beating it up.

Jeff Gehring

Gold Supporting Member
The Bassman in my photo has been working in the blues clubs in the Kansas City area for a very long time. It passed through here for some service and TLC about 16 years ago. It's owner at that time has since passed away; I'm not sure who has it now.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom